NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-10-2010, 05:28 PM
R Dixon

Default Good Times

I'm 30 years old, but I have an 11 year old brother. He's been to a couple of shows with me in the past but didn't show much interest. Well this past January he bought a set of 1987 Topps complete and in a binder for $5. That was a real turning point. He started calling me and asking me what the different stats meant on the back of the cards, who the best players were. etc. Two weeks ago he was at my house and I gave him a 1939 Play Ball Moose Solters. He thought it was the coolest thing ever. Well this past Friday he was at my house and we were looking at some of the cards from my collection. He was really interested in the different backs of T206 cards. So he asked me if there was anything he could do to earn some money to buy one for himself. So I let him wash my truck and my wife's car for $20. He stayed up all night looking for the perfect card for his collection. Saturday he bought this beautiful T206 Neal Ball on ebay. I can't wait until it gets here. In fact, I can't remember being so excited waiting for a card. It's going to be so much fun taking it to his house and hand delivering it to him. Seing his face when he realized he one the auction was a real throwback to me. It reminded me of the 4th grade. I always got $2 for lunch, but I rarely ate. I would save my money until school was over...then sprint to the card shop and buy 4 packs of 1990 Donruss. Those were great days...especially if I scored an Eric Anthony or Dave Justice rookie!

Old 05-10-2010, 05:44 PM
Jamie

cool story Rob. but you just got an 11 year old hooked on the Monster. Hopefully he gets $100 for lunch money
Old 05-10-2010, 05:48 PM
Rob Miller

Rob, thats a great story. I started collecting also indirectly due to 1987 Topps. My older brother used to buy packs when the set first came out, and I studied every duplicate he gave me.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:13 PM

Rob,

That's great. Nothing compares to collecting with a younger brother. Unfortunately my brother gave up after about 5 years of collecting...fortunately, I "acquired" all of his cards and memorabilia when he did

He'll be glad he has you to help guide him through this great hobby!

Mike
Old 05-10-2010, 06:47 PM

Rob,
Bring him with you to the National this summer. He will love it (and it's free admission for children.)
Old 05-10-2010, 08:17 PM

That story really takes me back to when I was a kid and felt that way about the colorful 1975 TOPPS set. Then it was the Laughlin cards.

He can pace himself one by one.

Frank
Old 05-10-2010, 08:56 PM
Clayton

What a great story Robert!! That's very cool that at age 11 he's already getting his first T206.It would be interesting to see how far along he gets in the set by the time he becomes an adult-granted he doesn't lose interest.If it can hook us adults in like it does,I think your brother may be in trouble

Thanks for the cool story!!

Sincerely,Clayton