NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-19-2006, 10:34 AM
Administrator

Default M116 Sporting Life cards Underappreciated, Undervalued and Tough

Posted By: Bob

There are about 25-30 SLs which make it on ebay from time to time but either there are very few of the remaining cards out there (especially the very scarce 300 back subject series) or anyone who buys them never sells them. I am not aware of more than 3 people on this board who are pursuing the set so what gives? You see a gadzillion T206s, tons of T201s, 202s, 205s and the other tobacco cards and even many caramel cards have surfaced with the exploding market, but not the SLs. Granted they are all portrait shots and only 2 guys are wearing hats, but the pastel and blue backgrounds render the cards very attractive. The odd thing, I guess because of the means of distribution, is that cards in 4, 5, 6 and 7 holders are seen more frequently than low grade cards. Very odd. One thing which makes collecting the set very annoying is that when a rare card surfaces, it is probably going to be in a 6 or above holder and you have to fight all the registry guys to win it.

Old 04-19-2006, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: BruceBabcock

Great cards, under appreciated, IMO, and a set I don't collect, except for a couple of examples. I agree that they seem to be very scarce currently. I don't remember them being so scarce, relative to other similar issues, 10-15 years ago, but my memory about most things is rather dubious. Still this thread gives me an excuse to post a scan of McGraw. I agree that among those you do see, I high percentage are in really nice shape.

Old 04-19-2006, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: andy becker

me thinks the mid and high grade availability is a result of distribution...as bob said. the cards were not inserted with any product and were only available by mail in a series group. lots have surfaced in their original mailing envelope.

nice set, and it is underappreciated imo.

Old 04-19-2006, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Masson

I agree with distribution as the reason for a much higher percentage of higher grade survivors, which explains why nice examples are still reasonably priced.
It was a set issued to baseball fans, rather than kids.

Old 04-19-2006, 12:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

I think the same thing about availability of Colgan's. A year or two ago, you could find 15-20 Colgans on ebay most of the time. Today, you rarely find any of the SOTD (Stars of the Diamond) and even fewer still of the Red Borders and Tin Tops. I think it's that there are so many more people collecting in OUR space and that, as Tbob said, they aren't friggin(c) sellin em..........

all rights reserved to 'friggin' reference to Tbob (royalty check on the way, T...)

Old 04-19-2006, 01:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

I've noticed the same thing with M116s and Colgans. I remember in the 80s that cards from either of these sets were tough to find and dealers were thrilled if you were interested in buying them. Now they seem to have dried up. I have a lersonal preference for Colgans and finding cheap low grade lots has gotten hard over the past year.

Jay

I like to sit outside, drink beer and yell at people. If I did this at home, I would be arrested. So, I go to baseball games and fit right in.

Old 04-19-2006, 03:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul Stratton

I think the fact that there are very few low grade examples may have something to do with the underappreciation. I collect the set when I can(especially the blue backgrounds), but it seems they are all "high grade". It's too expensive to only buy 8's, 7's and 6's. Where are all the 5's and 4's and 3's? I guess they don't exist because of the way they were distributed.

It seems odd that collectors seem to love the t206 portraits but when it comes to m116's they complain it is only portraits in the set.

Old 04-19-2006, 04:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: robert a

This set is for true collectors and has been since it was issued.
As stated before, the cards are found in nice condition because "collectors" sent away for the cards and were able to pick the one's they wanted. The cards came nicely packaged....separate from slimey caramels and stinky tobacco products....and were kept in collections unlike other issues that might've survived for a while and then were kicked to the curb or chewed on and spat out.

The same can't be said for the small packages that the cards came in. I gather that many of those were kicked to the curb with the caramels since they obviously weren't collectible back then. Yet, some survive and they were probably used as checklists.

To me, this set proves that most of the damage that is found on vintage cards happens much closer to the time of production. These cards were preserved early on and many of them stayed that way through the generations.

Old 04-19-2006, 06:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe

I collect only the Detroit players, they seemed to be in great condition, not like the caramels.

Joe