NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Hockey, Olympic, Auto Racing And All Other Cards

Old 01-06-2019, 08:10 PM
Noel

Default Giuseppe Meazza Science Project

For a country that prides itself on its defensive prowess it is probably a little unsettling that a center-forward / attacking mid-fielder is arguably the greatest Italian footballer of all-time (all due respect to Maldini, Baggio, et al). 2x World Cup Championships and 1x Golden Ball (1934) and his numerous off field exploits make a legend in a country filled with legendary talent. At any rate he is one of my favorite players and although it makes for some lively debate, i certainly digress.

Probably a long shot but I am hopeful that someone on here can shed some light on a card that I own of Mr. Meazza very early in his career. Playing for Inter most of his career he is easily spotted in the legend Blue and Black. Now the kit that Inter wears really needs no introduction except for a little hiccup which i will attempt to address. As a little background, Meazza was signed by Inter in September of 1927 however, the fascist regime at the time decided to name the club Società Sportiva Ambrosiana (after Saint Ambrose) a year later in 1928. This name stood until 1931 when the name was changed again to "Associazione Sportiva Ambrosiana-Inter" to accommodate loyal supporters. During this 3-4 year span they adopted the red cross emblematic with St. Ambrose which from what i can tell still seemed to be worn sparingly. I have several cards and pictures (some of which i will post here) during this time which display the typical Inter colors. While one isolated card exists of a very, very young Meazza wearing what appears to be black shorts with a white shirt complete with a thick black (I think) stripe across the middle.

The science project I have been tracking down is for the black and white Meazza soccer card where he is kicking the ball (I have attached other Ambrosiana photos for reference):

1) Can anyone identify this kit that he is wearing?
2) What year(s) did Inter wear this (notice the card says "Int" after Meazza's name on top)
3) Was this a practice uniform or perhaps a second division team he may have played for before signing with Inter? (I havent seen any evidence of this)
4) Something else that i am not thinking of?

Any information no matter how small would be really appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SS Ambrosiana Uniform Meazza.jpg (17.4 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg Maglia-Calcio-Ambrosiana-Inter-1928-Shirt-Football-Jersey.jpg (73.3 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg Italo-Swiss Meazza.jpg (26.3 KB, 140 views)

Last edited by esehombre; 01-07-2019 at 05:37 PM.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:53 PM
Ciaran

That is an Internazionale / Ambrosiana shirt pictured. Not sure off-hand of the specific year but would be approx 1929. The badge includes the fasces, the symbol of Italian fascism.

I have a reasonable number of historic Inter photos at my main home and return there in less than two weeks - so can ascertain if I can provide a specific date then.

For info, I am a season ticket holder with Internazionale - regularly travelling from London to Milan for their games.
Old 01-07-2019, 04:38 AM
Noel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulidia View Post
That is an Internazionale / Ambrosiana shirt pictured. Not sure off-hand of the specific year but would be approx 1929. The badge includes the fasces, the symbol of Italian fascism.

I have a reasonable number of historic Inter photos at my main home and return there in less than two weeks - so can ascertain if I can provide a specific date then.

For info, I am a season ticket holder with Internazionale - regularly travelling from London to Milan for their games.
Thanks for chiming in and for the info--and cool to hear you are an Inter fan. Certainly a team with a long and storied history. The uniform that i am concerned with is the one Meazza is wearing in the unnamed black and white card while kicking kicking the ball (lower left). It is certainly does not appear to be an Inter or Ambrosiana shirt but rather one with just a large solid stripe across the middle? Clearly different than the others with the red cross.
Old 01-08-2019, 02:22 PM
J.
Jonathan Rys.kamp

Default Card Back

Is there anything on back of the card in question or is it a blank back?
Old 01-08-2019, 06:29 PM
Noel

Default Meazza Back

Here is a scan of the back--I have done some cursory research of the caramel / chocolate company and looks like they had been in business since the turn of the century.

Strangely enough, at the age of 14 Meazza had earned a tryout from his favorite team (AC Milan) but was rejected on account of his "slight frame". Hard to believe looking at him just a few years later.

Additionally, and just to add a little twist to the project--the uniform he is wearing on the card in question looks similar to the away colours of AC Milan. Not sure how many photographers were around to take pictures of players during a tryout but does it look like he may be around 14?

Last edited by esehombre; 01-08-2019 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Added Picture
Old 01-11-2019, 09:18 AM
Ciaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by esehombre View Post
Thanks for chiming in and for the info--and cool to hear you are an Inter fan. Certainly a team with a long and storied history. The uniform that i am concerned with is the one Meazza is wearing in the unnamed black and white card while kicking kicking the ball (lower left). It is certainly does not appear to be an Inter or Ambrosiana shirt but rather one with just a large solid stripe across the middle? Clearly different than the others with the red cross.
Apologies - I thought you were talking about the first photo posted.

Ironically, the shirt is also exact in style to the away shirt worn by Inter in the late 1930s and early 1940s although this is clearly a much earlier image of Meazza.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:06 AM
Chuck Zso.lnai

Default meazza 1930 card

From what has been discovered, this jersey was a one-off kit used in January 1930 for a Milan-Inter combined squad which played a Berlin team.

So the cards has to be from 1930 or later.
Set in progress: 1994 Upper Deck World Cup autographed
Set in progress: 1938 Konig Fussball
Sub set in progress: 1910-12 Sweet Caporal pins - Philadelphia Athletics - 4 of 11 complete (need: Baker, Murphy, Plank, Krause, Davis)

Successful transactions:
aro13
edsj
commishbob
jpaol99
Gonzo,
abroom
Brianp-beme
Dboneesq
Chris Counts
xplainer
Bobbyw8469
Old 01-23-2019, 07:42 PM
Noel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copa7 View Post
From what has been discovered, this jersey was a one-off kit used in January 1930 for a Milan-Inter combined squad which played a Berlin team.

So the cards has to be from 1930 or later.
Wow, great research and thanks for the heads up--do you have any sources that you can share for the sake of context? Any pictures or background?

I have received some excellent information from some Italian and more specifically Inter/Giuseppe Meazza enthusiasts who were able to shed a pretty good degree of light on what has been a perplexing and at times frustrating search for answers.

For now, the information that i have obtained is different from the thought that this could be from 1930. And, although this being the only picture we have to go on, I would certainly think that due to body structure and youthful appearance this picture shows a significantly younger Meazza than what he looked like in 1930. Additionally, Meazza played for the Inter Youth Academy from 1924 until his signing with the senior team in September 1927 (from age 14-17). According to more than one source (one the owner of the Giuseppe Meazza website, this was a 2nd division (Academy) Inter uniform (Inter has never been relegated in its history).

"HI there, Peppino was in the Inter Youth Academy at 14, so he played there till 1927 approx when he started to play with the senior team. So, for sure that's a Inter kit.*"

"Definitely a second uniform, in those years Inter often dropped in the field in complete white with horizontal stripes nerazzurri.. Within Inter in 1924 the photo could trace from that year until 1927 when he entered the senior team, sure I can be wrong, I say 1924-1927."

Also, I found another collector friend from Italy who shared with me another card with the same image (mine just has the other player cropped out). Really neat as that is first time i have seen this card. Is there any chance this is the Berlin team? I have also added another card from my collection and a picture. The picture on the far right is Meazza from the 1930-31 season with his AS Ambrosiana kit. The card on the bottom is a 1927 Lurati card from his first season with Inter (In 1928 Inter changed their name to Societa Sportiva Ambrosiana). Since Meazza played his first game for Inter in Sept 1927 the card says Inter and he is still dressed in the Inter kit.

Due to the information about Meazza playing in this kit multiple times over the course of the 3 years he was with the Inter Youth Academy Team, the slight body style and youthful appearance in the cards (also the absence of any mention of Ambrosiana) leads me to believe at least the photo is from 1924-1927. While I still believe much more research needs to be done and it is possible this could be from 1930 I am much less convinced now. I would be interested to hear others thoughts. I am also awaiting some photos from the Giuseppe Meazza website which will hopefully shed some more light. I will update if/when i do receive anything else. Thanks so much for your input so far
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1924-27 Meazza w: Novaro player kit.jpg (55.6 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg 1930-31 AS Ambrosiana Meazza.jpg (77.7 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg 1927-28 Cioccolata Lurati Giuseppe Meazza.JPG (23.0 KB, 78 views)

Last edited by esehombre; 01-23-2019 at 07:45 PM.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:52 AM
Chuck Zso.lnai

Default meazza

A few things that are of note on this subject. The photo is against Berlin wearing Hertha BSC colors.

I'll see if I can find a team photo.
Sub set in progress: 1910-12 Sweet Caporal pins - Philadelphia Athletics - 4 of 11 complete (need: Baker, Murphy, Plank, Krause, Davis)

Successful transactions:
aro13
edsj
commishbob
jpaol99
Gonzo,
abroom
Brianp-beme
Dboneesq
Chris Counts
xplainer
Bobbyw8469
Old 01-24-2019, 09:00 AM
Chuck Zso.lnai

Default meazza 1930 card

[IMG]amic15-1930

I hope this will clear it up.

Successful transactions:
aro13
edsj
commishbob
jpaol99
Gonzo,
abroom
Brianp-beme
Dboneesq
Chris Counts
xplainer
Bobbyw8469
Old 01-25-2019, 02:25 PM
J.
Jonathan Rys.kamp

Default Question

Quote:
[IMG]amic15-1930

EseHombre & Copa7 - Thank you both for the very informative thread. I love learning more about soccer history.

Copa7 - I am a little confused about the picture you showed above. My understanding is this picture you showed is from the 1930 Milano - Berlin exhibition game, which you are saying is the same game from the two mentioned cards in the thread. However, the uniform of the picture you showed includes a cross and another symbol on the upper left chest of the uniform, whereas the uniform in the two cards don't have this symbol. So wouldn't that mean that the two cards have an image of a game other than this one (or that Meazza wore two different uniforms for the game, which I doubt)? Maybe it was a different year exhibition if it is indeed showing Berlin in the second card? Or maybe I am misunderstanding?

Thanks again both of you for the very interesting thread.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:25 PM
Noel

Quote:
[IMG]amic15-1930

Great find--I had not seen that photo in all of my searches. Clear as mud I guess! That certainly adds to the mystery. And it does appear the keeper has the Coat of Arms of Milan (AC Milan) validating the assertion that it was an Inter / AC Milan combined team--of note, while the uniform Meazza is wearing in the photo of the 1930 game with Berlin is similar to the one on the card it is also distinctively different. Notice what appears to be a cross in the top left of the uniform with a snake (symbol of Milan) next to it. Just for good measure it appears the players also have something in in the middle of the stripe that resembles a sideways "T". While on the card itself Meazza is clearly wearing a kit with a solid line and nothing extra added to it.

I have not received any more photos or information from the Giuseppe Meazza website or any other additional data. I am going to share the photo with them in the hopes they may be able to provide some additional context. Again, thanks so much and i will update once i get some additional information / photos.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:46 PM
Noel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collect Equity View Post
EseHombre & Copa7 - Thank you both for the very informative thread. I love learning more about soccer history.

Copa7 - I am a little confused about the picture you showed above. My understanding is this picture you showed is from the 1930 Milano - Berlin exhibition game, which you are saying is the same game from the two mentioned cards in the thread. However, the uniform of the picture you showed includes a cross and another symbol on the upper left chest of the uniform, whereas the uniform in the two cards don't have this symbol. So wouldn't that mean that the two cards have an image of a game other than this one (or that Meazza wore two different uniforms for the game, which I doubt)? Maybe it was a different year exhibition if it is indeed showing Berlin in the second card? Or maybe I am misunderstanding?

Thanks again both of you for the very interesting thread.
Thanks Collect Equity and i didnt see your post until i posted my last response--I think it answers your questions though. You are correct they are 2 different uniforms but i will let Copa7 respond and see if there is something more. It does add another layer but your questions are valid (and i dont think it is a Berlin uniform on the 2nd card--I believe it to be Novara FC). Thanks for your input as well.