NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-12-2007, 08:07 AM
Administrator

Default I never pray, but I did today..... 9/11/2001 NY

Posted By: E, Daniel

My Dad lives in downtown NYC and did at the time the planes hit the towers. I was working in Chicago a half block from the Hancock building when the news got to us, it sent us racing for the doors and cel phones to find loved ones, urging them home until we knew more. I had been in this country just 9 months and married merely six, but I feel weaved into the fabric of what it means to be American regardless, its pain and fortitude rolled in together.

My love hope and prayers go to everyone today, and for friends to feel our united and enduring spirit.

Daniel

edited title to be more specific

Old 09-12-2007, 08:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: James Feagin

I was a missionary in Denton, Texas. I still remember the glazed look that were in the people's eyes, I remember the hysteria and panic as people wondered if more places were going to be hit, I remember going into a drug store and watching the events unfold on TV and how the planes crashing into the towers looked so surreal, most of all, I remember a lot of people wanted to talk to us that day. An event that brought this country to its knees.

James

Old 09-12-2007, 08:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

And had an all-too-good view of what was going on.

I still know that smell, taste, sound, and site.
And I probably always will.

My prayers are with all who lost family, friends, and co-workers -
and my prayers and thanks are with all who defend and protect our nation, our cities, and our towns.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Eric B

The only event in my life I can really go back to and say I remember exactly how I felt. The feeling in my stomach and helplessness. Now I know what the older generations meant when they say how well they remember Kennedy's assassination.

My wife's best friend was turning around in the Pentagon parking lot and saw the plane go into the Pentagon. She called my wife crying - well before anyone knew "9/11" was happening. Makes me mad to hear those conspiracy idiots say it wasn't a plane.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy

I pray for all the men and women that lost there lives on Sept 11th 2001 and pray for all that are overseas.

Jimmy

Old 09-12-2007, 09:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

I was there too.
ditto.
well said

Old 09-12-2007, 09:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: skydash

I was next in line to take off in STL when the tower controller said"everyone on this frequency return to your gate immediately". I thought that was rather odd,and when I asked why,he said "national airspace has just been closed"(never heard that before). We taxied back to the gate,and upon looking inside,we saw that everyone was staring and pointing at the tv's.Just then the reserve squadron of F-15's stationed at STL started to scramble hard and fast. Our gate agent opened the door and said that a plane had just flown into the World Trade Center. I peeked at the weather and saw nothing but clear blue up and down the east coast. We knew right then we were under attack. Little did we know.....
God Bless everyone of those who lost their lives 6 years ago today.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Kyle

I was in college and didn't have classes until later in the day. I woke up, stumbled into the living room, glanced at the tv and asked my roommates what movie they were watching.

Old 09-12-2007, 10:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

I pulled over, called my wife and told her to turn on the tv to confirm what I'd just heard. By the time I got to the courthouse, they were already closing down and securing all the public buildings in downtown LA. Horrible.

Old 09-12-2007, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Trae R.

I was at work (at the college I attended). I smoked at the time, and I was walking for the elevator from the "smoking porch" and on the way in you pass the break room where a big-screen resides, There was a crowd of people around it. The second plane hadn't hit yet when I started watching, the room went nuts when that happened, then a dead silence. No one could believe it was happening. I went upstairs and told my student (was a tech. tutor) and she said "are you sure?", then went downstairs to see for herself. The school closed for the day about a half-hour later.

I went home and stayed glued to the television for the next 15 or so hours, feeling so many different emotions. It was quite the roller-coaster ride. I couldn't even imagine what the people there were going through.

I had a flight booked into NYC for Sept. 21st, but canceled it because my mother was afraid and just generally said it wasn't the best time to go. My friend, whom I was going to travel with, still went. He came home with heartening photos and descriptions, as if I hadn't already seen enough through the media. That would have been my first trip to NYC, I still haven't been.

Old 09-12-2007, 10:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I went up to the top floor of my building and looked out the window and saw the flames and smoke streaming out of the towers. I remember saying I can't hear a sound from where I was (about one mile away) but I tried to imagine the chaos inside...

Old 09-12-2007, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

I was in my car commuting to work, when the radio station broadcast that a plane had rammed into the World Trade Towers. I was thinking that radio DJs had way too much free time on their hands and shouldn't be making up news stories to catch people's attention.

Eventually, I realized the DJs were not making this up and I was in a state of shock that lasted the entire morning.

Peter C.

Old 09-12-2007, 10:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: PC

If you're inclined to pray, or just reflect on this terrible day, here are two names among the thousands lost that you might consider:

(1) Tim Welty, FDNY
(2) John Moran, FDNY

Old 09-12-2007, 11:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

In the breakroom getting breakfast at work and the first plane had just hit. I remember remarking that it was INCREDIBLY clear that day and it had to be something more than a misguided plane when the second one hit. The job I had at UPS then was in International Compliance. We spent the rest of the day working with about 10-12 airplanes that had been coming INTO the US and had to immediately divert to whatever airport they could.....Manchester NH, Dover DE, etc, etc. Everyone kept calling that more planes were still in the air and headed for other targets. Thank God no more hit than did......

Old 09-12-2007, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jerry Hrechka

That horrible day - 6 years ago I was working in Newburgh NY. The closest Air Force Base to NYC is Stewart's. The NYS Trooper's were guarding the base while Air Force Fighter's buzzed around. I'll never forget that.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

I pray for all the innocent victims of the tragedy and their families. I also pray for the soldiers, dead and alive, who were sent to Iraq to fight a war which had nothing to do with the terrorist attack on 9-11. May God speed their return back to us.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:48 AM
Administrator

Dubya's primary motivation for the war in Iraq was revenge for Hussein's attempted assanination attempt on his father in 1993.
Too bad so many "CHAD'S" were left hanging in Florida, in the 2000 election.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Lets go ahead stop the political stuff now. It's an argument that has no definitive answer...I don't care if you are on either side......

I do hope we never forget 9/11 though....

Old 09-12-2007, 12:09 PM
Administrator

But Leon on an O/T post topic like this, discussion of motives and political motivation does matter. If Islamic Sharia Law is imposed here, there won't be much room for collectibles or any other type of freedom

Old 09-12-2007, 12:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh

Politics have no place in this discussion today, about honoring the dead.
Did the 19 terrorists care about anyone's political affiliation?

Lets respect everyone's political view, but also remember today isn't about which side of the isle you are on. It's about remembering the horrible events of September 11, 2001 and cherishing the memory of those that our country lost.

God bless the US and those that protect our freedom.

Old 09-12-2007, 12:11 PM
Administrator

"RE-ELECT" President Gore in 2008.

IS Unaccetpable on this board...take it somewhere else please...nothing personal. We have had many political debates on this board and none have been good.....I am sure there are boards to discuss that stuff.....It won't be this one though...I hope you understand and this is not debatable.....

Old 09-12-2007, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Sorry - Edited my post and removed the offending slogan. I'll be more humble from here on in. But just my thoughts.
We were attacked on Pearl Harbor Day on Dec. 7 1941 (An unprovocked attack on a Military Target) - Then we responded with a Declaration of War.
On 9/11/2001 we were attacked (An unprovocked attack on a Civilian Target, )and over 3000 people died. We went to a "MILITARY ACTION" which is apparently open ended. Can there be some discussion of that?
I believe that that the best way to honor the dead is to try to come up with means to prevent another attackf rom being successfull.

Old 09-12-2007, 12:18 PM
Administrator

I agree with you 100%, there were Democrats and Republicans that died on 9/11. There were whites, blacks, minorities of all types and colors. There were people of all religions. Above all they were all Americans. For one day we should set aside our differences and honor our dead.

Peter C.

Old 09-12-2007, 12:18 PM
Administrator

Thanks...I promise it's not personal. I have political feelings too but don't impose them on this Vintage Card Chat board.....I appreciate your understanding. I am sure many share your feelings...and many don't. But this is a board for talking cards. I don't have a problem remmebering 9/11 as it was so devastating and remembering/praying is good. Political debate on this board isn't good. Take care now.....

Old 09-12-2007, 12:19 PM
Administrator

please shut it down for me.....

I had only meant for the thread to allow for a moment of personal reflection of this incredibly heavy hearted day. Rattling a political sword just destroys any shared understanding of how tragic 911 was....certainly on a forum for vintage baseball card lovers.

Sincerely

Daniel

Old 09-12-2007, 12:22 PM
Administrator

I am right there with you, my friend. Anymore political debate in this thread will be summarily deleted. Jerry understands and I hope everyone else does too. We should remember and honor those fallen in the travesty. I think this thread is great.....

Old 09-12-2007, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Daniel- Just as I feel sorrow for the victims of the cowardly attack on 9-11, I feel sympathy for the dead and maimed in Iraq and their families. That's not political, just appreciation for the bravery of those fighting a misguided war. May God bring them home soon.
Bob

Old 09-12-2007, 12:29 PM
Administrator

Thanks TBob, I'm totally with you on remembering the tragedy of all death and think your second post reflects that more eloquently.

Regards
Daniel

Old 09-12-2007, 12:32 PM
Administrator

I apologize if I offended anyone - A favorite Uncle of mine died on the Arizona at Pearl Harbor. I'll stop posting on this topic.

Old 09-12-2007, 02:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

...and working in Manhattan. I was about to get on the 2/3 line at Grand Army Plaza to head into midtown when a woman got out of the subway and said that there might be some congestion since a plane (a single plane at the time) had flown into the WTC. I shrugged it off, since a few days earlier a small flying contraption of some sort either nearly hit or hit the Statue of Liberty -- I thought it was nothing.

When the subway got to lower Manhattan, it didn't pull into any station below City Hall because of a "police investigation." When the doors opened at City Hall, a number of people got in -- most were visibly shaken, some were crying. It was at that point that we heard two planes had hit and that, obviously, it was intentional.

My subway continued uptown to Grand Central. When I exited on Lexington Avenue, in front of the Chrysler building, which was being evacuated, everyone was looking up in the sky -- they were all expecting more planes to come and hit the tall buildings in Manhattan.

I stayed at the office for a few hours, and then began to make my way home to Brooklyn. I had to walk downtown and then across the Manhattan bridge by foot. There was lots of smoke that smelled like sweet-sour burned plastic. A blackhawk helicopter swooped overhead. On the other side of the bridge in Brooklyn were people waiting for us with water and graham crackers.

I had left my window open in my apartment. When I returned, my apartment had (and for some time continued to have) the smell of burned plastic.

There was a steady stream of smoke over Brooklyn for days. There were also F-15's audibly flying over the city for days or perhaps a few weeks.

Old 09-12-2007, 03:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

I just did some research and saw that the first post came right after September 11, 2001. Upon a quick review, I didn't find any contemporary threads about the disaster, but that might just be because they continued on for days or weeks. You can see the first page of threads here:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/153652/page-344

Old 09-12-2007, 03:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

I was delivering a presentation at a hotel in Northeastern Pennsylvania. After I was done, I went outside for a break, and a hotel employee told me that a small plane had crashed into the WTC. I looked at the sky, and said "must have been a hell of a bad pilot."

Then I went into the hotel bar, which was packed. The television was on, and the bartender was pouring drinks for everyone. It was barely 9:30 AM, and everyone was drinking - that's what struck me. I watched the buildings fall on television, while the local NBC affiliate was reporting all sorts of erroneous news - terrorist activity at the Liberty Bell, bombed apartment buildings in Los Angeles, an attack on Mount Rushmore - it was chaos.

I got in the car and headed home to New Jersey. When I came around the bend on Route 80 where you can see the NYC skyline, I saw the plumes of smoke and almost crashed into the car in front of me, as every car on the highway was stopped, and their drivers staring at the skyline. The signs on Route 80 read "New York City Closed - Please Turn Back", or something like that. I remember thinking that was something I'd probably never see again.

When I got to my town, I drove to the top of the hill where you could see the skyline. There were about 25 people standing in the middle of the street, staring at the smoke, all crying. That's when it hit me. I hugged my family extra tight that night.

A week later I drove to Hoboken and walked around the riverside parks, reading the "missing" posters and looking at the makeshift memorials. I still remember one poster that had a picture of a woman and the words "Bring my mommy home." Another poster read "I lost no one, but I lost everyone."

I still remember the chunks of dirt in the air, even a week later. I still remember the smell.

I still remember having MSNBC on my television, virtually 24 hours a day, and the fear as I watched the news ticker delivering one horror story after another. I remember the silence above my house during the days there were no planes in the air, and how freaky it sounded when the silence was broken by the occasional private or military jet flying overhead. I remember driving to a Wal-Mart 20 miles west of my house to buy relief supplies because all the other Wal-Marts were cleaned out.

Mostly I remember the commuter parking lots nearby my town, and the chalk that police put on the tires to identify the cars that nobody ever came back to.

-Al

Old 09-12-2007, 03:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jon Canfield

I remember being in college at Clarkson University in Potsdam, NY watching the events unfold on TV. We, too, had a central gathering place in our class building and can remember watching the broadcasts and seeing the reporter duck as the second plane hit live on TV. Classes were suspended soon after and like so many others around the world, I spent my day glued to the TV and a state of shock.

6 years later, a lot has changed. I'm now an attorney in mid-town Manhattan and I live in a new apartment building that was constructed in part by government re-vitalization grants (some $6 billion in tax incentives) to try and inspire people to return to downtown Manhattan. My apartment building is on Liberty Street, less than 2 blocks from the World Trade Center site. Not a day goes by that I don't see the site and I can truly say that everytime I pass it, whether on a jog or just walking to the subway - I think about that day.

Old 09-12-2007, 03:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

we were all americans that day.

Old 09-12-2007, 04:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ron

My thoughts and prayers will forever be with the 9/11 victims and their families. I live and work just outside of the NYC area (Westchester County) while working I received a phone call from a buddy telling me to listen to the radio. I really couldn't believe what I was hearing and returned back to the house because I really needed to see this on TV to believe it was really happening. I was glued to the TV for the remaining day and that evening and I couldn't stand watching anymore and put in a call to the American Red Cross in White Plains, NY to see if they needed volunteers. They needed truck drivers with CDL licenses to run supplies to the city, I made a few calls to friends and rounded up six drivers and we spent the next four days making supply runs, what we saw are things that we will never forget, but you talk about people coming together. At the Red Cross and everywhere people were trying to do whatever they could to help. At Ground Zero they needed work gloves, masks, flashlights, water, food etc. and hundreds of each item needed would show up at the Red Cross. Food was always being dropped off from local deli's and restaurants without asking and for free, everyone just wanted to do something to help in their own way. So again my thoughts and prayers to the victims and their families, this IS the greatest country in the world and I will never forget 9/11....

Old 09-12-2007, 04:32 PM
Administrator

Ron,

We should all be thankful for the heroes that helped people out of the burning buildings. Also, there were many civilians who worked at ground zero on subsequent days who helped to dig out bodies. There were also many people who supplied those that were working at ground zero.

Although many people wore masks, I'm sure that many people realized that being at ground zero would be hazardous to their health. To this day we do not know the complete health ramifications to those that volunteered at ground zero. As far as I'm concerned they are all heroes.

And for those that died helping others and their families, we thank you for your sacrifice.

Peter C.

Old 09-12-2007, 05:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

"Mostly I remember the commuter parking lots nearby my town, and the chalk that police put on the tires to identify the cars that nobody ever came back to."

I was there, I saw more than I wanted to, I ran faster than I've ever run before, I knew people that died, my brother-in-law was supposed to be on one of the planes before he cancelled the trip at the last minute, I was due in a meeting in the North Tower the next day, I will never forget the smell in the subway the first day they opened it up again, and I saw a few of those cars you speak of...but reading that just got to me all over again. I've never seen more meaning attached to a parked car...so true.
What a crappy, crappy, crappy day that was. A tremendous reminder that we here on earth still don't have this "living in peace" thing down yet. someday...

Old 09-12-2007, 05:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ron

You are correct on your points and when I said victims and their families maybe "to all the families affected by 9/11" would of been a better choice of words as we all know so many others (public service and civilian) made sacrifices on that day and some into the future. They all deserve our deepest gratitude.

Old 09-12-2007, 06:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

343, we'll never forget

Old 09-12-2007, 07:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan Elefson

Hi-
I was teaching in a small town (Abington, MA), just 20 miles south of Boston, on that day. One of the school aides came to my classroom and asked me to step into the hallway. She explained that a plane had just struck one of the WTC towers and she agreed to cover my class while I went to watch the news. I watched the second plane hit and I knew it could not have been an accident. I spent the next two hours ducking in and out of the breakroom to find out what was going on.
The teachers received strict instructions from the principal not to reveal what was going on to our students. Several of my students told me a few days later that they could sense something was wrong, that I did not seem "myself" as I was teaching that day. I still disagree with the principal's (and superintendent's) decision not to close the school. I thought all kids should be with their families after such a horrific tragedy. Even worse, one of the sixth graders in the classroom next to mine (I taught 6th grade) lost her father on one of the planes that hit the Towers. She was a very popular girl so the loss of her father affected her friends (many of whom were my students) for many weeks after.
The most moving memory I have regarding the following weeks was seeing the candlelit vigil several days after the attacks. I was driving home from Boston to Bridgewater and every town I passed through I saw men, women, and children holding candles and displaying flags. I have never seen such a display of solidarity amongst all Americans in my lifetime.
My hopes and prayers are that nothing like this ever occurs again, to Americans, or any other group of Human Beings.
Alan Elefson

Old 09-13-2007, 03:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Pcelli60

The attacks of 9-11 exposed the greater problems that existed prior to Bush taking office.. The actions taken now by his administration are most definitely related to that day..You fight the same evil that created this horrific attack. You fight to show a commitment against such evil. If this country is committed to the promotion of freedom, all options must be utilized..
By the way..I stood on the banks of the East River that day. Saw one Tower hit(south) and both Towers fall..

Old 09-13-2007, 06:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Simon

PLEASE, explain to me how the actions taken today ( I guess you meant Iraq ) relate in any way to 9/11. It is an accepted fact that Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11.
-
I live in Manhattan and my wife works and still does work one block from the WTC site. I watched the whole thing on TV. My wife called me hysterically as she was leaving her building. Fortunately she had the sense to leave the area as soon as she got to the street. By the time the towers came down she was far away. She managed to get to a phone and call. My kids were (one in Boston in college, one in CT working for ESPN) online with me, waiting for some word from her. It was a day we will never forget.
--

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.
Unknown author
--
We made a promise. We swore we'd always remember.
No retreat baby, no surrender.
The Boss

Old 09-13-2007, 07:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: James Feagin

People just can't help themselves, can they?

Old 09-13-2007, 10:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Evans

I'm with Richard Simon on the politics but don't believe it belongs in a post on 9/11.

I recall driving into D.C. from my home in Falls Church, listening to the radio account of the tragedy in New York. Shortly after arriving at my office on Capitol Hill the Pentagon was hit. I could see the smoke from my window as I watched the tv news. I remember walking outside and looking up at the Capitol Dome wondering whether it would be the next target. I drove home in the ensuing traffic jam.

I suspect this will stick with me like the Kennedy assassination, which I learned about while walking between classes with my girlfriend in the 10th grade.

Mark

Old 09-13-2007, 10:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

About 9 AM that day NBC was reporting a "small commuter plane hit one of the towers in the WTC". When I looked at the TV, and
saw the damage, I instantly knew NBC had the story wrong. I called my wife at work and while we were talking, the 2nd plane cut
right thru the other tower in a huge ball of fire. It made me sick to my stomach. I told my wife to leave work and that I'd pick her
up and we went to our house at the Jersey shore.

In north Jersey, my older Daughter, Debbie, together with her neighbor were devastated, as they watched the towers collapse. At
that point, her neighbor realized that she would never see her husband again. He worked for Cantor-Fitzgerald in the WTC.

Arriving at the shore (80 miles south of NYC), we saw a huge layer of black and gray smoke emanating from NYC and hovering over
the Atlantic ocean. Later that afternoon we drove back to Pennsylvania and we experienced a very eerie feeling that I'll never forget.
We were driving on I-195 and in the entire 40 mile trip to the Trenton area....believe it or not....we were the only car on the road !
As we drove, we had this very strange feeling that we were the lone survivors from this horrendous disaster.

Many thoughts went through my mind, as we listened to the car radio reporting of people choosing to jump to their death, rather than
face being burnt alive. And, the media predicting of 10,000 deaths. Also, going through my mind was the construction of the WTC. In
the early '70s, I had many business trips to lower Manhatten and saw these buildings go up. It was amazing to see the tremendous
sections of structural steel that were in place at the base of these buildings....now these towers and many innocent lives were gone.

TED Z

Old 09-13-2007, 04:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Simon

Mark, I only posted my political opinion as an answer to a prior post which seemed to defend the war in Iraq.
--

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.
Unknown author
--
We made a promise. We swore we'd always remember.
No retreat baby, no surrender.
The Boss

Old 09-13-2007, 08:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

I remember waking up and turning on the morning news. The volume was muted. It showed streets scenes of smoke and people running and crying. I first wondered where this war was. Then I looked closer and realized, "Oh, $#!*, that's New York City. What the $*#@ is happening?".
JimB