NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-12-2006, 09:00 AM
Administrator

Default A simple test: Are you an investor?

Posted By: T206Collector

To determine whether you are an investor in vintage baseball cards, I have devised a simple hypothetical test.

If you had inside information that the value of all of your vintage baseball cards was going to be zero some time next week, because it turns out that Jefferson Burdick and Frank Nagy all played a big joke on us and a time capsule containing 50,000,000 of every vintage baseball card ever made in gem mint condition (each triple graded by SGC, PSA and GAI as perfect) was going to be opened in Chicago next Monday.

Stripped of their relative scarcity and all of their value -- each as common as a 1990 Score Mike Devereaux -- what percentage or how many of your cards would you sell before the big opening event next Monday?

I think I would sell just about every card I own this week, except for a few that had personal value to me that is unassociated with any financial value.

Old 04-12-2006, 09:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

Geraldo going to open the time capsule?

Old 04-12-2006, 09:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris

I'll trade you a 1990 Score Mike Devereaux for any vintage card in your collection. And I'll even throw in a 1987 Topps Alfredo Griffin.

But to answer your original question, I wouldn't be able to sell my cards. Though I'd hate to lose that much money, there's just too many good memories there. They're like my little colorful, illegitimate children. And I love them all dearly. Plus, I'll never have to pay for them to go to college.

And hey, at least if Geraldo was going to open the capsule, we'd know nothing was in there anyway.

Old 04-12-2006, 09:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bryan Long

That would mean that I could finally get every card that I always wanted.

Old 04-12-2006, 10:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: William Brumbach

I agree with Bryan, I can't wait for the stuff to be worthless, then I could collect whatever I wanted to my heart's desire. I could set up a kiddie pool in my backyard and load it up with T206's and Goudeys and '52 Topps and dive into it like it was a pit of plastic balls at Chucky Cheese.

Old 04-12-2006, 10:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: joe brennan

Sorry, Greed got me. I'd sell every card I have. and next week re aquire every one of them back. Kinda like stocks. A better question would be if you sold them all this week, you would never be able to own them again. Then the decision would be much tougher.

A scared man can't gamble and a jealous man can't work.

Old 04-12-2006, 10:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

Joe was reading my mind.
JimB

Old 04-12-2006, 10:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: James Feagin

I'll be honest and say I'd sell everything. One of the funnest aspects of the hobby for me is working and knowing I can't have everything. Fanagling your way to getting a prize is an important part of collecting. If couldn't do that, it would be no fun. I consider myself both a collector and investor.

Old 04-12-2006, 11:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob NYC

Cool, then I could have all the sets I want - provided that they are truly near 100 years old.

Old 04-12-2006, 11:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

I would sell "none". I would still enjoy them. Except for a few exceptions, anyone who simply looks on this hobby as an investment, is in it for the wrong reason. I own roughly 50,000 cards. I can only think of about 3, that I bought for future sale. The rest will never leave me. Until I exit this world that is. If I can figure out how to take them with me, I will. But I have a hunch I will be dealing with more important issues at that time.

Old 04-12-2006, 02:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe brennan

This thread has less to do if you are a collector or an investor. It has more to do with making a smart choice. You can have all the cards you want next week for free. I like to have some money first!!!! Sorry, won't sell them now unless some unforseen happenstance occurs that I need the money. I didn't purchase them for selling them later, but money is always a useful tool in living. OT. I just purchased my first $40 tank of gas. 13 gallons.

A scared man can't gamble and a jealous man can't work.

Old 04-12-2006, 03:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Charlie O'Neal

I have to agree with Joe's earlier post. I would dump everything I have and then get everything back and the cards that I have been searching for the following week for about 1/10th the cost. The difference would help cover my $75 gas bill everytime I fill up once it hits $3. Thank god I only have to fill up once every three weeks.