NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-02-2018, 05:03 AM
St3phen M@rchillo

Default Who is going to Cooperstown?

The calendar hitting July means it’s induction weekend month! I go every year and hit the card show in town. I helped my non-collecting friends pick up a couple low grade Ted Williams cards at very reasonable prices last year. My other buddy was able to pick up a Mantle, Aaron, and Mays to fill some gaps in.

Looking to pick up a few things (nothing in mind) as well as getting my Rod Carew RC signed!
Old 07-02-2018, 10:59 AM
Brad

Yes -- Looking forward to it and hoping to stop by the VFW show a time or five throughout the weekend as time permits. Always love seeing old collecting friends at that show.
Old 07-02-2018, 11:47 AM
Kyle May

I'll be there, but I didn't know there was a card show. Can someone provide more information on the card show?

I'll be staying at an extended family member's lake house and making the 1.5 hr drive in and out on both Saturday & Sunday.

Ironically enough, I'm from the Akron, OH, area, and come home from this trip only to be met with the National.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 07-03-2018, 07:16 AM
St3phen M@rchillo

It's at the VFW which is on the opposite side of the street from the actual hall. It is actually really close to the hall. If the temps are high it gets hot in there. There is very little room to navigate which can be a pain. Last year guys were willing to wheel and deal and I picked up some 50's Hall of Fame cards for what I'd call eBay prices. Last year temps were mild so it was pretty good. Looks like the show is Fri/Sat from a google search. There is also a live auction there. I think I went one year with my ex-wife. Now that I go with my buddies we drink way too much to even think about going to a live auction. I want to say that is Saturday evening but I'm not 100% certain. I haven't gone to that in 15 years I think.

When we are talking show there may be 20 dealers or so. Don't expect 100 dealers at the show. I know TedZ has setup there. He probably can give better info than me.

Sports Card Show
VFW Show
60 Main Street
Cooperstown, NY 13326​

Admission: FREE
Time: Fri: 11AM - 6PM / Sat: 10AM-5PM
2018 Show Dates
TBA
Old 07-03-2018, 07:26 AM
Kyle May

Thank you for the information Stephen. I'll be there on Saturday. Is there much Pre-War?

- Hall of Famers

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

Old 07-03-2018, 07:35 AM
St3phen M@rchillo

I think a few of dealers have some prewar stuff - yes. I am not sure if TedZ will be there, but he would obviously have some stuff. He had to miss last year because the National and Induction Weekend lined up at the same time. I do mostly 50's-60's hall of famers with very little prewar mixed in so I have tunnel vision. My monster number is in the mere teens!

Have you been to Cooperstown? There are tons of shops there as well so no shortage of cards. Some shops will wheel and deal even though you have a retail type feel. The show prices are best though.

Also there are tons of guys who sign - if you are into that. The MAB show has the majority and JackBerke has a bunch too. Also 7th inning stretch and Safe at Home will have a few and then some randoms.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:21 AM
Paul S

I'd say Trout, Pujols, Scherzer, maybe a few others
Old 07-03-2018, 08:26 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbspelly View Post
I'd say Trout, Pujols, Scherzer, maybe a few others

I'm betting Stephen, Brad & Kyle will get there first.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 07-03-2018, 09:49 AM
St3phen M@rchillo

One more thing to note -

If you are going to be there starting Saturday then the HOF Museum is not even worth going in. They close early so after the parade the HOFers have the place to themselves for a couple of hours.

I have a membership so I can go in and out as I please but the amount of people packed into the building makes it almost impossible to enjoy anything. It's much better going on Thursday or Friday morning that weekend. I have gone there Sunday during the ceremony (I don't go to the ceremony) and its pretty empty there for obvious reasons.

If you've never been to the museum and your only option is Saturday then by all means go in. But it's not the best experience on that particular day.
Old 07-04-2018, 05:17 PM

Do they offer a list of who will be signing? Or is that done by the individual shop?
Old 07-04-2018, 05:54 PM
St3phen M@rchillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckiGuy View Post
Do they offer a list of who will be signing? Or is that done by the individual shop?
http://mab-celebrity.com/hall-of-fame-show

http://jackberkesports.com/

https://safeathomeshop.myshopify.com...?q=HOF+WEEKEND

https://www.seventh-inning-stretch.c...y.aspx?id=2341

Last edited by Marchillo; 07-04-2018 at 05:58 PM.
Old 07-04-2018, 06:02 PM
St3phen M@rchillo

These are all the ones I’m aware of. You can also go to the golf course and try and get free autographs. Never tried it and wouldn’t want to spend my time doing that there. But I’ve talked to people in town who’ve had lots of success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Marchillo; 07-04-2018 at 06:04 PM.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:28 AM
Andrew Aronstein

I'm there every year and setup outside next to Baseball Nostalgia in the Doubleday Field parking lot. Sell licensed, matted photos and licensed Postal Service related items from baseball events, and First Day Covers. Swing by and say hello .
Old 07-05-2018, 03:25 PM

Missing the induction this year in Cooperstown however attending the National, Browns Training Camp. I have been to Cooperstown 2 out of the last 3 years with my son and it was an awesome experience. If you have never attended a HOF Induction it absolutely should be a "bucket list" item. A few points:
- The weather is usually hot & humid. Bring suntan lotion, water, hat, etc. Last year was terrific weather, much cooler and less humidity. We kept a cooler in the car with plenty of cold drinks. Bring a backpack.
- If you are staying outside of Cooperstown, get into Cooperstown early - have breakfast at the Cooperstown Diner.
- You can park for free on a side street - usually pays for breakfast and then some..
- If you can purchase a HOF Membership. My wife purchased a HOF Presidents Circle Membership that gives you some extra goodies + early entry privileges - well worth the $$$.
- If you can try to get to the Hall on Friday - the weekend is packed.
- Don't forget to get your items postmarked at the post office directly across from the HOF.
- Spend sometime at the VFW card show, have lunch at Lake Front Park, attend the Ford Frick ceremony, HOF Round-table on Monday, etc.
Overall enjoy your time there, enjoy the shops, the people, etc. I had some great discussions with David Van Horne, Denny McLain, etc.
Old 07-05-2018, 04:30 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Cooperstown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchillo View Post
It's at the VFW which is on the opposite side of the street from the actual hall. It is actually really close to the hall. If the temps are high it gets hot in there. There is very little room to navigate which can be a pain. Last year guys were willing to wheel and deal and I picked up some 50's Hall of Fame cards for what I'd call eBay prices. Last year temps were mild so it was pretty good. Looks like the show is Fri/Sat from a google search. There is also a live auction there. I think I went one year with my ex-wife. Now that I go with my buddies we drink way too much to even think about going to a live auction. I want to say that is Saturday evening but I'm not 100% certain. I haven't gone to that in 15 years I think.

When we are talking show there may be 20 dealers or so. Don't expect 100 dealers at the show. I know TedZ has setup there. He probably can give better info than me.

Sports Card Show
VFW Show
60 Main Street
Cooperstown, NY 13326​

Admission: FREE
Time: Fri: 11AM - 6PM / Sat: 10AM-5PM
2018 Show Dates
TBA

Hi Stephen

I would say that you described the VFW BB card show quite well. I have been setting up at this show since the early 1980's. It has always been a great BB card and memorabilia show.
Over the years, some really outstanding "walk-ins" have come into this show. I missed this show for the 1st time last year, because the National coincided with the Cooperstown show.
I'll not be setting up this year, also.

As you noted, when the show gets pretty crowded, it's difficult to move around in the small showroom. I recommend attending the show (either Friday or Saturday) between the hours
of 1PM - 4 PM. That time period is usually not as crowded as it is in the morning or late afternoon. The Auction usually starts about 6 (or 7) PM on Saturday nite.

Say hello to Don and Bill......the promoters of this fine Show for 39 years in Cooperstown.

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 07-05-2018, 05:19 PM
Kyle May

How busy is Cooperstown/the show on Friday altogether?

- Hall of Famers

- Grover Hartley PC

- Jim Thome PC

Old 07-06-2018, 09:16 AM
Fred

I always like the VFW show, I was there in early 80's a kid and stop by whenever I am there for the induction Sunday. I always remember that show 35 years down the road

If I recall used to be able to pick up a hotdog right outside also.

now I want to go
Old 07-09-2018, 09:04 PM
+0m J()rd@N

I'll be in Cooperstown - but a week early. Up that way for work and will be stopping by on Friday the 20th with my son.

Any good recommendations for eats? We'll basically have a day in Cooperstown (Friday) and will have to head out that evening. Also, is there any reason to spend time in some of the shops instead of all day in the Hall?

The last time I was in Cooperstown was with my dad, summer of 1988, not long after Willie Stargell was enshrined.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 07-10-2018, 07:14 AM
Kyle May

Thanks to the recommendations from this thread, I've changed my itinerary around for the weekend.

Friday: Cooperstown. Hope to see some of you when we stop by the show.

Saturday: All day on the lake (staying at my cousins' lake house on Skaneatles).

Sunday: Induction Ceremony then get the hell out of town.

- Hall of Famers

- Grover Hartley PC

- Jim Thome PC

Old 07-22-2018, 10:19 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Just got back from a trip to Cooperstown on Friday and Yankee Stadium on Saturday for the Yanks-Mets game. Both were fantastic.

Thought I'd pass along this photo from the museum - a little eye candy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-5516.jpg (72.4 KB, 112 views)
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 07-23-2018, 09:36 AM
Sc.ott Ver.renti

Will be rolling into town early Friday morning. Can't wait. The highlight of the year. This will be my 19th HOF Induction Weekend (1987-1998, 2007, 2008, 2014 to present).
Old 07-23-2018, 05:31 PM
Bill Gregory

"The Legends of Baseball Cooperstown induction ceremony"

How did Sid Bream get an invite to this group?

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 07-23-2018, 05:43 PM
Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
"The Legends of Baseball Cooperstown induction ceremony"

How did Sid Bream get an invite to this group?
You question Sid Bream being at a "Legends of Baseball" autograph signing but NOT Jimmy Hart?? :-)

With the Braves flavor that the induction weekend has taken on the last 4-5 years, promotors have tried to cater to the throngs of Braves fans (and baseball fans in general) who come through Cooperstown over the weekend. Hence, Murphy and Bream being at signings like this. Sid's famous slide still reigns as one of the all-time great moments in Atlanta sports history.

Last edited by BradH; 07-23-2018 at 05:44 PM.