NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-07-2009, 05:02 AM
Doug C.

Default PayPal phishing emails

I received an email yesterday that claimed to be from PayPal using the old "Your account will be closed if you don't click on the link in this email and verify your user name and password" scam, so I figured I'd give everyone a heads up to watch out for it. I think the return address on the email was paypal@accounts.com or something similar.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:15 AM
Barry Sloate

I get that email fairly often. No company ever requests that kind of personal information from their users.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:00 AM
Rich Klein

Default I love those pay pal emails

Because; I don't even have a pay pal account!

Easy to delete
Old 11-07-2009, 07:00 AM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Certainly, you've heard this ad nauseum... If it aint in your 'My Ebay' message folder, it stinks. All emails I receive from PP or ebay I forward to both;

spoof@ebay.com & spoof@paypal.com

You'll get a fast reply generally, and I like to fantasize that they actually take action.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:17 AM
Doug C.

I used to get those eBay ones all the time that looked like an eBay login page saying that your account would be suspended if you didn't confirm your info, but this is the first time I've gotten a PayPal one. I would have reported it, but like the post above it's probably fantasizing that they do anything about it. I don't know how many of those fake PSA graded '52 Topps Mantles I've reported to eBay, but they still pop up constantly.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:07 PM

The two usual safety reminders are:

1) Don't go to the sight through a link in the email. Instead go online, type in the address manually, login and check out what's up. Phishing emails are trying to get you to go to false sites.

2) A simple but effective test if the site you are at is legitimate is to first type in an incorrect password. The real site will know it's bad and tell you so ("please type in again"). A bad site doesn't know your password and won't notify you that the password you typed in is bad. It will proceed as if the password you typed in was is correct.

Last edited by drc; 11-07-2009 at 12:21 PM.
Old 11-07-2009, 01:15 PM
David McDonald

Default This just in from Abdul Zongo

Dear Friend,

I assume that this message will reach you in good health. However, it's just my urgent need for foreign partner that made me to contact you for this transaction. I assured you honesty and reliability to champion this business opportunity.

I am Abdul Zongo, working in the African development bank BURKINA-FASO, WEST AFRICA and currently holding the post F.O.M. in our bank. I have the opportunity of transferring the left over funds ($13,200.000.00 Million Dollars) of one of our bank's customer who died along with his entire family in 2003 in a plane crash.

I am inviting you for a business deal where this money can be shared between us in the ratio of 50/50,on the acceptance of my proposal, Further details of the transfer will be forwarded to you as soon as i receive your return mail immediately as soon as you receive this letter.
Please indicate your willingness by sending the below information for more clarification and easy communication.
Full Name
Contact address
Tel..

Hoping to hear from you as soon as possible.
Regards
Abdul Zongo.
Old 11-07-2009, 01:19 PM
Barry Sloate

You know David, it's amazing how many wealthy Africans die in plane crashes. If they could just find a few mechanics to keep those planes running smoothly, they wouldn't need guys like you and me to bail them out.
Old 11-07-2009, 01:27 PM

Just ask why someone would be willing to transfer $13 million to someone randomly picked on the internet. And why would someone agree to transfer $13 million to you, with you keeping half, when he admits he doesn't even know your name or what country you live in.

And remember, as an American you can't win a foreign lottery. It's against US law-- you can't legally enter, win or collect.

And, besides, you can't win a lottery you never entered. If the first time you even heard of the Scotland National Lottery is when you get an email notification you won $11 million, you didn't win anything. Scotland wouldn't award you a half empty can of RC Cola if you never purchased or otherwise owned a paid lottery ticket.

And lastly, lotteries don't know the identities of the winning ticket holders when the numbers are picked. Lotteries generally don't keep track of the purchasers, many tickets are bought anonymously (ala via cash at gas station), tickets are regularly transferred, traded and gifted to new owners. The lottery only learns the identities when the winners bring in the matching tickets. In other words, the lottery doesn't notify you that you are the winner (ala inbox message). You notify them.

Last edited by drc; 11-07-2009 at 02:22 PM.
Old 11-07-2009, 02:29 PM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Default Hey David, Im a friend too!

Dear Friend,

Greeting's to you and your entire family,I am Mr Ariki Bello,a banker with the above mentioned bank in Ouagadougou Burkina Faso in West Africa, holding the post of the Audit & Accounts dept. On December, 25, 2003, one Mr Ron Morris,an American who base in Lebanor, An Astute Business man of international repute, a contract with ecowas country, whose endeavours spans various areas of Business interest, (Real estate, contract and Farming .etc) made a numbered time (Fixed) Deposit, valued at $25,000.000 (Tweenty Five Million, United States Dollars) for twelve calendar months in my Bank Branch.Upon Maturity, we sent a routine notification to his forwarding address but got no reply.

After a month, we sent a reminder and finally we discovered from his company that Mr.Ron Morris was aboard the AF4590 plane, whichcrashed.December, 25 2003. After further investigation, it was discovered that he died without making a WILL and all attempts to trace his next of kin proved fruitless,On further investigation, it was discovered that Late Mr.Ron Morris did not declare any next of kin or relatives in all his official documents, including his Bank Deposit paper deposited here in our Bank.

The total sum of $(25,000.000)tweenty five million united state dollars is still in my bank and the interest is being rolled over with the principal sum at the end of each year, All efforts to trace and locate his next of kin proved abortive.In accordance with the country’s banking laws and constitution guiding this banking institution stated that after the expiration of (6)five years, if no body or person comes for the claim as the next of kin , such money will be revert to the Burkina Faso government treasury if nobody applies as the next of Kin to claim of the fund.

Consequently, It is upon this respect, I seek to present you since no one will come up for the claim.Upon acceptance of this proposal, I shall send to you by mail the (B.O.A) Bank "Next of Kin Payment Application Text Form" as well as detailed information on how this deal would be carried out.The money will be shared in the ratio: 60% for me, 30% percent for you and 10% percent for any arising contingencies during the Course of this transaction.

I guarantee that this will be executed under legitimate arrangement that will protect you from any breach of the law, as I will use my position in the Bank's here to perfect this business transaction & secure Approvals and guarantee the successful execution of this transaction.

Please be informed that your utmost confidentiality is required. If this interests you,I want to remind you of the confidentiality of this Transaction at hand whatever your decision is.I await your urgent response.Your detailed reply should contain your telephone and fax numbers for easier communication for onward proceeding.

Best Regards.Mr Ariki Bello.Audits & Accounts Manager,

My son is by far the wealthiest man in Burkina, and he makes $6/day

Shameless request ahead...
Incidentally, his computer students could use your old optical mice, their old style ones get gummed up frequently, due to the dirt and dust. Also, any old unused RAM would be appreciated. Thanks!

Mike's the one on the left,

Mike and his designees scavenged the materials to build this classroom.

Shipping to W Africa is expensive, approx $55 for Lg flat-rate Priority. I will relay-ship from Boston or if prefered, Mike's address;
Michael Falletti PCV
Corps de la Paix Americain
B.P. 1095
Bobo-Dioulasso, Burkina Faso
(Ouest Afrique)

Last edited by Ladder7; 11-07-2009 at 06:34 PM.
Old 11-07-2009, 02:31 PM
Bob Pomilla

"You know David, it's amazing how many wealthy Africans die in plane crashes."

What's even more amazing, is how many of them are related to me.
Old 11-07-2009, 02:41 PM
D.B. Cooper

Steve,

I have a couple Logitech optical mice laying around and they've never been to Burkina Faso. Do you have an address to which I could mail them?
Old 11-07-2009, 03:37 PM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Thanks in advance Anthony, PM sent.

Well, I've officially derailed this thread. Sorry Doug
Old 11-07-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder7 View Post
Mike's the one on the left,

Steve -

our left or their left?
Old 11-07-2009, 06:06 PM
Archive

I received one of those emails last week from pay pal also. Notice that I put a space in between the name. Thats how it showed up on the email title too. I knew something wasn't right immediately.

Jantz
Old 11-07-2009, 08:18 PM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

I get those paypal emails maybe once every two months on average probably... I always forward to spoof@paypal.com . It probably doesn't help much but you have to try and fight these lowlife ****bags somehow. I like to think every little bit helps. I don't know who falls for this crap but I guess if only one in every 10000 do they can scam some money!
Old 11-07-2009, 09:19 PM

I get 5 or 6 a week and grew so tired of them I started forwarding their emails to each other.