NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-29-2005, 04:40 PM
Administrator

Default my auction was hijacked

Posted By: gary Nuchereno

I ended several vintage card auctions today as someone got my password and
started to end my auctions early. I suspect they were hoping to get money sent to them,possibly using paypal. These cards were not sold and will be listed again when I think it is safe. My apologies to members who were bidding but I know you will understand. Thanks Gary

Old 09-29-2005, 04:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: BlackSoxFan

Get in touch with ebay before you do anything..be very careful here.... i would also be so inclined to contact paypal, any credit card company associated with your internet activity and even a credit bureau to make sure they don't have more info than you think.

Regards,

Black Sox Fan

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

email me

* I'm smart enough to know that there are a lot of people who know more than I do.

Old 09-29-2005, 04:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul Stratton

I was wondering why you would end the Crawford auction early. Just figured you got an offer you couldn't turn down. Hope all goes well with your account.

Paul

Old 09-29-2005, 06:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

How can someone possibly get your password? That would be worthwhile information to share so that other ebay sellers could protect themselves.

Old 09-29-2005, 06:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: robert a

Gary,

Sorry that happened. Better luck next time around.
robert a

Old 09-29-2005, 06:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian McQueen

A big way that scammers are able to get your personal information, such as your password is by sending out "spoof" Emails from Ebay, Paypal or wherever that ask you to click on a link to log in to the site. These Emails typically "bait" an unsuspecting individual with a "Your account in danger of being suspended" or "the bid you have placed on this item has been cancelled....click here to find out why" type of line.

Oftentimes, these are cleverly done so that the Email itself contains the same headers, layout and logos that a normal Email from Ebay or wherever would contain.

If in doubt, I always go to the site directly to find out more. If the Email says that my bid on a certain item has been cancelled for instance, instead of clicking on that link to access the site, I'll open up a new browser, access Ebay on my own and then run a search for the item in question. I've seen things from shoelaces to paint to porcelain dolls come up once I investigate the item I "supposedly" placed a bid on in the first place.

One other thing, if the Email provides a link to access a login page or asks for personal information from you, it's more than likely a spoof as this goes against Ebay/Paypal policy to do so. The "login" page that you're supposedly accessing is more than likely a page that allows you to enter your UserID and Password which is being recorded on the other end and is actually on a site/server entirely different from that of Ebay. Keep a close eye on the URL that is provided. You can see exactly where a URL will take you by simply resting the mouse cursor over the link without clicking on it. If it goes to a strange URL or address, that's a big red flag that something is amiss.

Hope this helps....

Old 09-29-2005, 06:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

That's very helpful Brian and I've actually gotten those emails in the past. I forgot about them. They are dangerous.

Old 09-29-2005, 07:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Lundrigan

Gary there was some discussion posted the other day about Paypal scams under the heading "Paypal Observation" you can find it near the bottom of page 2 on these message boards.It`s worth reading in case you missed it,has some good advice to avoid these scams.I got one of those messages from a fake Paypal site in my E-mail the other day.

Old 09-29-2005, 07:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

I guess I didn't have a very good password, to make matters worse I had the same password for my email account. That made it difficult for ebay to help me as I had to get a new email account first. It is possible my son got duped by a fraudulent request for info but I doubt it. I think it was my fault for not having a more complicated password. The perps closed one of my auctions early
by asking a board member to buy the card outright but mail the check to a
differnt address. I was able to email him and warn him so no harm there. I am
going to bed tonight wondering what else I forgot to cover. Thanks Wes for the info I followed your instructions to a T. Gary

Old 09-29-2005, 08:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brad Green

It's also a good idea to change your password (on eBay, PayPal, etc.) about every 90 days. It's not very hard and takes only a minute, but it may save you from some hassles later.

The secretary -- sorry, administrative assistant -- at work was telling me just this morning that somebody hacked into her eBay account and tried to sell a horse trailer. These people are relentless...

Old 09-29-2005, 08:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: BobW

To help stop spoofing and scammers, they now have "My Messages" on the left side of the "My Ebay" page. So if you get any email from Ebay, check the "My Messages" to see if it is legit

Old 09-29-2005, 08:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: BlackSoxFan

lol... well it also helps when you know how to create good passwords.... i have 2 or 3 passwords that i use for most every site i do... nobody will be able to assertain that password based on any of my personal information (birthday ... address..etc..) and it would take several powerful computers a long time to crack...my suggestion is do a search on how to create a secure password.

Regards,

Black Sox Fan

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

email me

* I'm smart enough to know that there are a lot of people who know more than I do.

Old 09-29-2005, 08:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

It's important to use different passwords for different accounts.

Old 09-30-2005, 12:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

Ebay name Gary?

Old 09-30-2005, 05:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: gary Nuchereno

my ebay name is gnuche