NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

View Poll Results: Active 'Shoe-Ins'?
Albert Pujols 54 88.52%
Ichiro Suzuki 54 88.52%
Miguel Cabrera 41 67.21%
Adrian Beltre 26 42.62%
Clayton Kershaw 38 62.30%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-09-2018, 09:25 AM
Peter Spaeth

Cano with his numbers should be a shoo-in already IMO. Kershaw is already a lock despite his age, he has more than enough phenomenal years (more than Koufax did). Verlander needs more career numbers; I would vote no on CC.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 01-09-2018 at 09:27 AM.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:33 AM

I was just looking at Baseball-Reference and am very surprised to see such a large disparity between WAR totals for Verlander, Sabathia, and Mussina.

Verlander: 56.6
Sabathia: 61.5
Mussina: 83.0

Verlander has played 5 less seasons and Sabathia 1 to Mussina's 18. Yet Mussina just barely cracked 50% of the vote last year.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:11 AM
Raymond Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I think Cano has already done enough to get in but I think he'll find it difficult anyway. Same goes for Votto if you ask me. I don't think Verlander is even close though, neither is Sabathia in my opinion. I don't think either pitcher was better than Mussina and Mussina hasn't gotten in.
assume you meant Schilling and Mussina - they are frequently coupled together

...and I think both should have made it before Jack Morris...and several other HOF pitchers.

MY BIG CONCERNS ABOUT AMERICA:

Internally- We spend too much time assuring our rights without learning the responsibilities that should accompany them.
Externally - No matter how much we claim to take the higher moral ground, we have neither respected nor attempted to understand other cultures.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:23 AM

No I would never include Schilling in a HOF discussion. I think Mussina was a much better pitcher than Verlander or Sabathia and he's having trouble getting over 50%. I wouldn't vote for either player until Mussina is in.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:42 AM
Peter Spaeth

IMO Schilling is definitely one tier short, although I think he was better than Morris.
Old 01-09-2018, 12:44 PM

2 people don't think Pujols is a Hofer? All of those guys are a lock right now, even Kershaw. Beltre has 3000 hits, a lock for HOF, and is a top 5 defensive 3b. Kershaw lacks traditional stats such as wins, but his ERA and other "ratio" stats are insane. He also has 3 Cy Youngs and a MVP. That trumps his poor post seasons and years of service.

As others have said, the interesting discussion is the borderline guys like Mauer or Sabathia. What do they need to do to make the HOF?
Old 01-09-2018, 03:02 PM
Peter Spaeth

The perception of Beltre doubtless is hurt by so many years toiling in Seattle and Texas, and not much postseason exposure.
Old 01-09-2018, 03:11 PM

I think suspicions will haunt him but they didn't keep Pudge from being first ballot. Beltre's career bugs me because he put up his best year in LA while known cheaters like Shawn Green, Paul Lo Duca and Eric Gagne were on the team. He hasn't come close to his 2004 season since and it was during a walk year. He then stinks it up in Seattle, gets hurt during that walk year, and signs a contract with Boston. It's a one year deal and during that walk year he puts up his best season since 2004. Then he signs a huge contract with Texas.

His career has picked up at dubious times and I can't help but pay attention to it. But I also don't think it'll hurt him other than delaying the inevitable IF it does get delayed.

Last edited by packs; 01-09-2018 at 03:14 PM.
Old 01-09-2018, 03:19 PM
Nick Barnes

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat View Post
Of course those guys all make it. I'll second packs' suggestion. The Joe Mauer question is much more interesting.

Also:

Joey Votto
C.C. Sabathia
Jose Altuve
Zach Greinke
of that list, probably only Votto right now. CC had too big of fall and Greinke just hasn't been good enough for long enough yet. Altuve is far too young to tell, but if he maintains he will be a shoe in too.
Old 01-09-2018, 04:07 PM

How do people feel about King Felix? I once thought he was a lock but I'm not sure what he'd have to do to convince me again. I think without a second CY he's a long way away and on the wrong side of his career, even if he's only 31.

Last edited by packs; 01-09-2018 at 04:07 PM.