NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 07-13-2012, 08:00 PM
Cameron Crafton

Default 1993 Topps Finest Refractors Complete Set Help

Does anybody here know anything about these cards and why they're so expensive? I know that they were limited print runs, but I didn't know that they were limited enough to warrant almost every card in the set to have a BV of over 25.00.
Also, I am thinking of buying a complete set for 90.00$, all cards are in Near Mint-Gem Mint condition...is this a good deal?

Last edited by UOFLfan7; 07-13-2012 at 08:00 PM.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:34 PM
Frank Hay-zer

Default 1993 Refractors

This was really a break through set that helped jump-start the 'limited parallel' craze of the 90's. Before this set, the most popular insert sets were numbered to around 5,000; I forgot the exact number this set was limited to, i believe it was either 231 or 261, but either way, you get the point-this was an exceptionally rare set. As per the second part of your question- I hate doubt your card collecting knowledge-but I kind of have to...are you sure this isn't the base set (of regular Finest) which you can buy for $90??? For someone to spend that much time and money to build this set and sell it for that price...this set would sell on Ebay for a few thousand..
Old 07-13-2012, 08:37 PM
Frank Hay-zer

Default P.S.

Just to expand on my last comment, if you are 100% certain they are the refractor version it's the deal of a lifetime but if your not sure, research it-a lot of people (who aren't too familiar with Topps Finest) confuse the base cards for refractors
Old 07-13-2012, 08:50 PM
Cameron Crafton

I have researched it and have made sure it was the refractors, but just to be cautious I will do a bit more research. Thanks for your help.

Here is a scan of some cards that the seller uploaded...these are Topps Finest Refractors correct?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (24.0 KB, 287 views)

Last edited by UOFLfan7; 07-14-2012 at 12:25 AM.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:21 PM
Chris Wassmuth

I believe those are the regular cards. The refractor cards woudl have more of a rainbow appearance.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:50 PM
Cameron Crafton

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwazzy View Post
I believe those are the regular cards. The refractor cards woudl have more of a rainbow appearance.
They look sort of rainbowish to me, but who knows haha. I havn't bought them yet. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:36 PM
Archive

Cameron

Here are scans of a regular 1993 Finest & a refractor. The refractor version is on the left. These cards do not say "refractor" on the back. Its better to have these cards in hand when determining which version they are.

Hope this helps

Jantz

Last edited by Jantz; 02-07-2013 at 10:01 PM.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:01 PM
Cameron Crafton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantz View Post
Cameron

Here are scans of a regular 1993 Finest & a refractor. The refractor version is on the left. These cards do not say "refractor" on the back. Its better to have these cards in hand when determining which version they are.

Hope this helps

Jantz
Jantz

Thank you for those scans they helped a ton in determing whether or not the set was the refractor version or not.

It turns out that the set wasn't the refractor verson despite the title saying it was, so I contacted the seller and told him about it. He said that he would change the title of his item. Once again thanks for the help.

Cameron
Old 07-21-2012, 05:34 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

If anyone has an Orel Hershiser or Mike Piazza 93 Finest Refractor I would be happy to make an offer. Need them to complete my Dodgers team set, thanks!
Old 11-17-2012, 06:24 AM
Rob G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4reals View Post
If anyone has an Orel Hershiser or Mike Piazza 93 Finest Refractor I would be happy to make an offer. Need them to complete my Dodgers team set, thanks!
There is a Piazza on ebay now ...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-Topps-B...item20cd607639
Old 11-20-2012, 10:54 PM
Larry

The print run for each card was supposedly 241. I remember shortly after the issue date that the set price quoted in the montly Beckett publication was $100,000--a dealer friend of mine and I thought it either had to have been a misprint, or enough collectors (speculators?) were out there with far more money than brains!

On second thought, buyers at that price then are probably the same guys who might jump at the BIN $50,000 Bowman Chrome Red Refractor Mike Trout rookie (1 of 2) recently seen on ebay. If Mike, who is indeed a very fine player, lives up to his potential and plays in similar fashion for another 15-20 years, that card still won't even begin to be worth that kind of dough!!!

Best wishes,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 11-20-2012 at 10:57 PM.