NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-27-2011, 07:06 AM
R Dixon

Default T210-3 Orange Borders

Hey guys. I know this has been discussed, but I was hoping we could revisit it. I’ve been doing some digging, and I was able to find scans/photos of the following T210 Orange Bordered cards:

Billiard 1
Blanding 2
Burch 4
Curry 3
Firestine 3
Gordon 3
Hooks 2
Johnston 3
Jones 2
Leidy 1
Nagel 2
Northen 2
Slaven 2
Stringer 2
Thebo 2
Yantz 2

I also found some text that indicated that there are examples out there of Tullas, Alexander, Kip, Munsell, and Stinson. Can any of you confirm this? Do you have scans? Are there any other examples that you’ve seen or heard of?

This year’s REA auction had a series 3 complete set in it with 13 orange borders. However, each of the OB’s in the lot had previously known examples. With that many, I would really expect some new subjects. I know there used to be a belief that every card in the series 3 set was printed with an ob, but the fact that we keep seeing the same subjects over and over makes me think that this is very unlikely. Any thoughts?

Here's my only one

If anyone wants the scans/pics that I found online, send me a PM
Old 07-27-2011, 08:42 AM
Pup6913

I am pretty sure I picked up a Stinson for a fellow board member last yr at Balt. Nationals. He frequents the board and I am sure will chime in.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:24 AM
Steve Birmingham

Mine is a Nagel. No scan yet, I've had it since the early 90's.

Steve B
Old 07-27-2011, 11:31 AM
Scott Mt. Joy

My lone example-

Old 07-27-2011, 01:15 PM
JeR@Me

Default OB's

I own the Firestine, Gordon, and Nagel Orange Border cards. I also checked my research notes and I don't believe there are any documented examples of a Dallas, Shreveport, or Fort Worth player which would indicate that during the printing process they corrected the problem after finishing with these teams : Houston, San Antonio, Waco, Galveston, Oklahoma City. Brian may have some more to add to this as he has been collecting these rascals as long as I have, and has several examples.

Thanks, JJ

Edited to add Jones (A 4th OB I own that I forgot to add in this thread)

Last edited by DixieBaseball; 08-01-2011 at 12:04 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:18 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default I think I still have these

I think I still have these for examples but know for sure I have the yellowish looking one. My good friend, John Esch, in Ft. Worth has a really yellow one.....The more yellow the neater they are to me.....Brian M. does know more about these than most as he does collect 'em fairly earnestly.....regards

Old 07-27-2011, 01:23 PM
JeR@Me

Default Yellow Borders..

Leon - I never get tired of seeing your Yellow border T210. (I need one of these for my T210 type collection, so tell your good buddy John in Fort Worth I am a super easy target should he want to trade or sale )
Old 07-27-2011, 01:44 PM
Mike Schulze

Default Munsell

Sorry about the poor scan quality. My wife sent it to me and the file was too large to upload... had to make some adjustments! Also, thanks to tbob for letting me purchase this one from him awhile back... top-notch guy in my book!

BTW... this may be considered a faded red instead of a true orange... the scan color doesn't acurately show it because the scanned image is darker. Maybe tbob can help on this individual one.

ADDED: After a consultation with my wife, who has the card in hand, she agrees that it's a faded red instead of a true orange. Sorry Robert. I thought I was helping but it was a mistake on my end!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg munsell rev.jpg (76.0 KB, 683 views)

Last edited by mdschulze; 07-27-2011 at 01:57 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:17 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default not sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleBaseball View Post
Leon - I never get tired of seeing your Yellow border T210. (I need one of these for my T210 type collection, so tell your good buddy John in Fort Worth I am a super easy target should he want to trade or sale )

Hey Jeremy
I am not sure if I call it true yellow but you can easily see the difference between the other two oranges. On the other hand, John's is really yellow. I mean banana yellow. And no, unfortunately he is as passionate of a collector as we are so it's in a very good, stable, home and not going anywhere.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:32 PM
Ralph Pr3y€r

Default T210 Orange Pricing

I am just curious as to what price a T210 Orange might run in VG or EX condition. I have been wanting to pick one up for awhile. I have seen one on e-bay that Yepbg has been trying to sell for some time now. He had started at $1000 and has been working his way down $700 now. Is this way over priced or is this what one goes for?

http://cgi.ebay.com/1910-T210-Old-Mi...item3cba6334a5
Old 07-27-2011, 08:21 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp12367 View Post
I am just curious as to what price a T210 Orange might run in VG or EX condition. I have been wanting to pick one up for awhile. I have seen one on e-bay that Yepbg has been trying to sell for some time now. He had started at $1000 and has been working his way down $700 now. Is this way over priced or is this what one goes for?

http://cgi.ebay.com/1910-T210-Old-Mi...item3cba6334a5
I have sold and bought them in the 150-350 range....and I would expect to pay that today for a nice average grade one. I think a brighter orange, like the one above, would carry a bit more premium. In the 700-1000 range is ridiculous imho....
Old 07-27-2011, 08:54 PM
Ralph Pr3y€r

Leon, Thanks for the info. I had assumed that it was way off base.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:27 AM
R Dixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Hey Jeremy
I am not sure if I call it true yellow but you can easily see the difference between the other two oranges. On the other hand, John's is really yellow. I mean banana yellow. And no, unfortunately he is as passionate of a collector as we are so it's in a very good, stable, home and not going anywhere.
Leon, is your friend's card of the same subject (Thebo) as yours?
Old 07-28-2011, 08:55 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default don't know

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdixon1208 View Post
Leon, is your friend's card of the same subject (Thebo) as yours?

I am not sure but can probably check. He is an old time collector. His e92's are e92's.....regardless of the backs .
Old 07-28-2011, 11:15 AM
R Dixon

Default OK

OK, as far as can tell there are 20 known subjects:

Alexander
Billiard
Blanding
Burch
Curry
Firestine
Gordon
Hooks
Johnston
Jones
Kip
Leidy
Munsell
Nagel
Northen
Slaven
Stinson
Stringer
Thebo
Yantz

He may have an updated list, but in 2009 Brian M listed the same 20 players through his research.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleBaseball View Post
I own the Firestine, Gordon, and Nagel Orange Border cards. I also checked my research notes and I don't believe there are any documented examples of a Dallas, Shreveport, or Fort Worth player which would indicate that during the printing process they corrected the problem after finishing with these teams : Houston, San Antonio, Waco, Galveston, Oklahoma City. Brian may have some more to add to this as he has been collecting these rascals as long as I have, and has several examples.

Thanks, JJ
Jeremy, in your post you said that they might have corrected the problem after finishing some of the teams. That's assuming that they were printed team-by-team. Does anyone know if this is true?

It seems to me that if there are 20 known subjects that they could have all been printed together?

Leon, the reason I asked about your friend's yellow card is because of these:

thebocomp.jpg

There's an obvious color progression, and that's what made me wonder....
Old 07-28-2011, 11:35 AM
JeR@Me

Default Yellow Border

Quote:
Hey Jeremy
Banana Yellow sounds delightful. (Would love to see this rascal...)
Old 07-28-2011, 11:36 AM
Brian McQueen
Administrator

Sorry guys for being a bit tardy on this thread. A lot of you know that I love collecting cards with goofy colors so these fall right into my wheelhouse.

Here is my little chart on the population headcount of these. I'm sure it's not accurate but I try to keep the excel spreadsheet updated. Someone previously said they had seen 20 different players and that's exactly where I am too on my research. 20 players and 55 (approx) examples overall that I've seen since I've been paying attention. I'll keep an eye on this thread in case someone has one not on my spreadsheet....

standings
Slaven 5
Gordon 6
Firestein 5
Burch 3
Johnston 4
Curry 2
Leidy 3
Thebo 3
Nagel 5
Blanding 2
Hooks 2
Stringer 2
Jones 3
Yantz 2
Northen 1
Alexander 1
Billiard 1
Kip 2
Munsell 1
Stinson 2
TOTAL 55

My current collection of these sits at 15 players -
Blanding, Burch, Curry, Firestine, Gordon, Hooks, Jones. Kipp, Leidy, Nagel, Northern, Slaven, Stringer, Stinson, Yantz. So I've got a few left to find according to my list.

I've also yet to bring a true t210 Yellow into my collection although that t210 that I have pictured below with all the creases has a lot of yellow in it. I do have a t210 PINK border though. However, I think that we decided that t210s that show up pink are due to some sort of a chemical, whereas orange and yellow borders occured because those cards missed a color pass in their original print runs. Some scans are below, including the t210 pink-bordered Roth that I have. Also interesting is the Reis which has sort of a missing border...

t210oranges.jpg

pink.jpg
Old 07-28-2011, 12:11 PM
JeR@Me

Default Team-by-Team Printing...

Jeremy, in your post you said that they might have corrected the problem after finishing some of the teams. That's assuming that they were printed team-by-team. Does anyone know if this is true?
It seems to me that if there are 20 known subjects that they could have all been printed together?

Hey Robert - I came to the conclusion that the T210's were printed by the team after buying a series 5 card last year of McCarthy which was miscut top to bottom and had the name of Mangum at the top of the card. (I have scans at home I can get you when I return) Mangum and McCarthy were teammates for Anderson. I am speculating a bit on this part, but perhaps horizontally each row was of 1 player such as McCarthy and then the row above it had the next player on team, etc. The answer to your question might be some of both as the sheets held a certain amount of cards vertically/horizontally, so with each team having different numbers of players, some sheets my contain say 7 players, then the next team in the series was positioned above it. Example of Anderson Series 5 : (hope this makes sense)

Series 5 Anderson:
Mangum - Mangum - Mangum - Mangum - Mangum - Mangum - Mangum -
McCarthy - McCarthy - McCarthy - McCarthy - McCarthy - McCarthy -
Series 5 Charlotte :
Series 5 Spartanburg:
Series 5 Winstom Salem:
Series 5 Greenville:
Series 5 Greensboro:
Series 6 Lexington:
Old 07-28-2011, 03:16 PM
R Dixon

Default I Don't Know

I get what you're saying Jeremy, and I think I remember you saying something about that series 5 card before now that you mention it again.

But the numbers on these OB's don't indicate the same thing IMO. Brian has confirmed 6 Gordon (Waco) cards. There are 9 players on the Waco team who don't have a confirmed OB. So with that, it's hard to believe that they were printed together.

Last edited by rdixon1208; 07-28-2011 at 03:17 PM. Reason: I can't spel good
Old 07-28-2011, 10:01 PM
JeR@Me

Robert - I understand your point as well, but I think there has to be many more of these tucked away in collections. How many from the sheets didn't make it ? (Being scrapped after printing) More time is needed, but I think you are onto something and we should continue to monitor....

Last edited by DixieBaseball; 07-28-2011 at 10:06 PM.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:01 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Hey Guys

Hey Guys and especially anyone keeping count.....

John Esch reports-

I have 7 orange borders, all of which are already on that list. They are Alexander, Blanding, Curry, Johnston, Kipp, Leidy and Stringer. The mellow yellow is Munsell, Waco.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:00 PM
JeR@Me

Default Follow up

A little follow up (been on vacation)... Here are my 4 examples :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T210-3-Firestine-San Antonio.jpg (72.2 KB, 415 views)
File Type: jpg T210-3-Nagel-Oklahoma.jpg (75.0 KB, 414 views)
File Type: jpg T210-3-Gordon-Waco.jpg (31.8 KB, 412 views)
File Type: jpg T210-3-Jones-Oklahoma.jpg (32.0 KB, 411 views)
Old 08-01-2011, 08:15 PM
Ralph Pr3y€r

Default Jones Orange

Jeremy, Love that Jones with the Orange border... Nice cards

Last edited by rp12367; 08-01-2011 at 08:29 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:38 PM
Ralph Pr3y€r

Default T210 Orange Gordon

Just got this in todays mail. It's my first Orange Border and hopefully not the last. Thanks to Frank Wakefield for the deal. I know Frank has shown this on here before, but here it is again at it's new home Would love to see some more if anyone hasn't posted them yet...

Last edited by rp12367; 02-06-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:20 PM
JeR@Me

Default "Seeing Red" : T210-3 Orange Borders (Revisited)

Well, I am seeing red after just acquiring a 16 card lot of Orange Borders pulled from a near complete Series 3 subset which was a part of a 99% complete T210 set. This is a major find for me through a third party and I am tickled to share them with you T210/Orange Border lover's out there. (Brian M. - I have been trying to reach you!)

Also, I wanted to revive this thread from last month regarding "20 Known examples" of players in the series 3 subset of 95 players. I now believe what Robert D. was indicating in his initial post in this thread about there only being 20 known players of Orange borders. I came to this conclusion after acquiring this lot of players and then reviewing history of all REA and Legendary Auctions back several years. I also reviewed all Net 54 Orange Border threads and per my calculations, I came up with 117 known examples of Orange borders and they only included the 20 players mentioned in this thread from 5 of the 8 Series 3 teams. My research also shows multiples of each of the 20 players but the range is anwhere from 3-9 of each player. (*Some of my research may yield duplicates due to buying/selling activity of same cards, so the 117 count could be a little high*)

More discussion to come, I hope... Meanwhile I will toss this intial scan of OB's on the board. These just arrived in the mail today...I will get better scans posted in time. The Orange color ranges between about 5 different shades...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OB's2.jpg (75.8 KB, 329 views)
File Type: jpg OB's_0001.jpg (77.7 KB, 321 views)

Last edited by DixieBaseball; 09-28-2011 at 08:04 PM. Reason: 2nd Group scan added
Old 09-28-2011, 07:33 PM
R Dixon

Default Woooooooooow

What an amazing haul Jeremy! That scan is shocking! Congratulations!
Old 09-28-2011, 07:56 PM

Default Great pickup!

Jeremy,

Great pickup on the Orange Borders! Congrats!

Patrick
Old 09-28-2011, 08:13 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default congrats

Congrats Jeremy.....very cool indeed!!
Old 10-02-2011, 01:31 PM
Ralph Pr3y€r

Default T210 Orange

I have been meaning to post this pic. Scan is of the Gordon card, I won from Dan last month on e-bay. It is middle card shown next to Orange Border Gordon (Cabrol card is just to show a red border). I think this card is just faded rather than a true Orange Var. By itself it does appear to be somewhat Orange. Any thoughts would be great. Thanks

Last edited by rp12367; 10-02-2011 at 01:49 PM.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:49 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

I never really spent much time looking for these but I counted and I have 17 in my set: Billiard, Blanding, Burch, Curry, Firestein, Gordon, Hooks, Johnston, Jones, Kipp, Leidy, Munsell, Nagel, Slavin, Stinson, Stringer and Yantz.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:58 PM
JeR@Me

Default Orange Borders - Update : Last 6 months...

After starting in 2008 collecting OB's, I was very fortunate to land a large grouping of 12 new OB's last year that pushed me from 4 to 16 Ob's. So armed with a few duplicates, I got busy trying to find the final 4 OB's I needed for my 20 card sub set. With the help of Robert from the board, we struck a 2 for 1 OB trade a few months back for #17 Burch (Thanks Robert !) and then I was able to land the very tough to find Thebo (#18) from a hobby friend over the holidays, and just last month was able to land #19 Hooks from another Hobby collector via trades, etc. Finally over the last 2 weeks, with the help of a our fearless Net 54 leader and through a board member, I was able to land #20, a very tough OB to find, Kipp ! I wanted to Thank all of these gentlemen for helping me to the finish line, and I don't think I would have ever got there without your help. (Special Thanks to Robert, Tony, Leon, and John for helping me with these final 4 cards) Collecting is fun, but it is more fun when you have guys in the hobby that can help you reach your collecting goals and you can help them in return with their collections. Thanks again guys, for helping me push through these last 6 months with these final 4 OB's I needed. I am complete !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3-Burch.jpg (85.2 KB, 235 views)
File Type: jpg 3-Thebo.jpg (81.2 KB, 234 views)
File Type: jpg 3-Hooks.jpg (69.8 KB, 234 views)
File Type: jpg 3-Kipp.jpg (86.0 KB, 234 views)

Last edited by DixieBaseball; 04-05-2012 at 10:54 AM.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:07 PM
Brian McQueen
Administrator

Congrats Jeremy! I know how hard you worked on this one...a tremendous accomplishment!!
Old 03-09-2012, 01:11 PM
JeR@Me

Default Thanks !

Quote:
Originally Posted by shammus View Post
Congrats Jeremy! I know how hard you worked on this one...a tremendous accomplishment!!
Thanks Brian ! (Your next... 5 to go...)

Last edited by DixieBaseball; 03-09-2012 at 01:12 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:59 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default congrats

Congrats Jeremy. Glad I could help a little bit....and for the record, the person I got you in contact with is a member here but doesn't post. He does read the board though and is a fine gentleman I have had the pleasure of knowing for several years....as well as I have been to his house to see a really nice old school collection. Nice OBs you showed, by the way!!
Old 03-09-2012, 03:27 PM
JeR@Me

Default Thanks !

Quote:
Congrats Jeremy. Glad I could help a little bit....and for the record, the person I got you in contact with is a member here but doesn't post. He does read the board though and is a fine gentleman I have had the pleasure of knowing for several years....as well as I have been to his house to see a really nice old school collection. Nice OBs you showed, by the way!!
Thanks Leon ! (I was able to peruse this board members want list and my jaw dropped to the floor with what he has been able to accomplish since the mid 70's. Old school indeed. Tremendous.)
Old 03-09-2012, 04:59 PM
R Dixon

Default Wow

Congrats Jeremy! You got there quickly after you scored that big group. Hit me up if you still have any doubles.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:40 PM

Great accomplishment, Jeremy. Congrats!
Old 03-10-2012, 09:53 PM

Jeremy, you da' man!
Old 03-11-2012, 05:43 PM
JeR@Me

Default Thanks Guys

Thanks Robert, Jason, and Bob ! Hope to get a little website together soon to display these along with some other material. I am still baffled about the actual 20 players that have printing errors. We know that most likely there will not be another player discovered with a range of 3-9 examples known of the 20 players each. What baffles me was how these players were positioned together on a sheet. Only 1 Galveston, 2 Houston, 2 Oklahoma, 6 Waco, and 9 San Antonio players with color error. With the player pattern of 20 players, it's hard to visualize why it was these 20 that were positioned on the sheet to get the color error and then again, and again. Does this lend itself to being just a few sheets (or just 1 sheet?) with the same player horizontally across the sheet ? We know from a few examples T210's had different players vertically, so perhaps a sheet had 10-20 examples across and the color error hit the same spots on a few sheets, or maybe it was more simple than that...

For the sheet experts out there, is it possible to only have 20 players on 1 sheet or is that not likely due to too being to small ? Perhaps we need to study the names of the players for a clue on the pattern? I am trying to figure out why would it be these 20 players with a smattering from 5 of the 8 teams in the series.

Just thinking out loud. I will hang up and listen...

Last edited by DixieBaseball; 03-14-2012 at 10:10 AM.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:56 AM
JeR@Me

Default T210-3 OB Update :

For those select few that love the T210 set, I wanted to draw your attention to something I noticed while studying the set. There are 3 "Oklahoma City" players (Bandy, Davis, Walsh) and 2 "Oklahoma" players (Jones & Nagel) that actually represent 1 team from the Series 3 subset. In case the OB collector's have not noticed, you can't get the Oklahoma City players in Orange. (Only Red) The only 2 Orange Borders available from this team are the 2 Oklahoma players, Jones & Nagel. I wonder if the variation of team names is as simple as the players uniforms ? The 3 OC players show Oklahoma City on their uniform, where as the 2 Oklahoma players only show a "O" and the other street clothes. Perhaps when the card mfg. assigned the team names the simple oversight was they looked at the players and assigned their team name according to the uniforms. Just found that to be a tad interesting at the micro T210 level. Carry on... Nothing to see here.

Thanks, JJ

P.S. My guess is there is a "C" on the other side of Nagel's (sleeve) jacket, but since it is not visible his card didn't get the Oklahoma City variation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3-Jones.jpg (86.3 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg 3-Nagel.jpg (85.8 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg 3-Walsh.jpg (58.8 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg Bandy.jpg (33.4 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg Davis.jpg (34.0 KB, 112 views)

Last edited by DixieBaseball; 03-17-2012 at 03:38 PM.