NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-07-2019, 01:12 PM
Aaron Rothschild

Default ONLY 10 DAYS! Crazy Uncle Auctions

The Card & Memorabilia Online Auction is closing in just 10 Days, on Sunday, November 17th!

There are nearly 1,000 items available with something for everyone!

n54post.jpg

Crazy Uncle Auctions is always buying sports cards and memorabilia.

crazyuncleauctions.com
info@crazyuncleauctions.com
(914) 439 - 7105

Crazy Uncle Auctions
175 Varick St.
New York, NY 10604
Old 11-07-2019, 02:21 PM
Jeff Sherman

Default Debbie Downer

Sorry to point this out, but with only 10 days left, there are a LOT of lots with no images... any idea when this might be fixed, as time is running a bit short?
Old 11-07-2019, 03:14 PM
Ja@ck Win.ston

Not meaning to pile on, but on a lot like this (1959 Topps set), is it possible to see a breakdown of condition instead of only a checklist of the set? (Also, many of the larger images fail to load.)

Thanks! Other than that, great auction!

https://crazyuncleauctions.com/1959_...__-LOT620.aspx

Last edited by JackW; 11-07-2019 at 03:15 PM.
Old 11-07-2019, 04:49 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Aaron, I had written to customer service about the scan for the first lot, the 52 Mantle. I was hoping that a scan of the card could be included in the listing instead of the photo with the shadow on one corner. I was told that you were having difficulties with your images. Do you think this will be cleared up before the auction ends? Thanks for any help you can provide.
Old 11-07-2019, 05:53 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Aaron, I had written to customer service about the scan for the first lot, the 52 Mantle. I was hoping that a scan of the card could be included in the listing instead of the photo with the shadow on one corner. I was told that you were having difficulties with your images. Do you think this will be cleared up before the auction ends? Thanks for any help you can provide.
It could just be my ineptness, but I can't save or expand the images either.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 11-08-2019, 06:47 AM
Aaron Rothschild

Hey Everyone - Thanks so much for checking out the auction and the enthusiasm!

For general auction questions, like "Why are there so many missing photographs?" I will post answers in this thread. For personal questions or specific lot questions I will respond by PM.

So, why are there so many missing photographs? - First, we apologize for the missing photos. Unfortunately, our photographer had gotten extremely sick and missed just over two weeks of work. Due to a large amount of advertising with the published launch date we opened as is. - We are still catching up, but hope to have all the images in there before the sale closes.
Old 11-08-2019, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJR View Post

For general auction questions, like "Why are there so many missing photographs?" I will post answers in this thread. For personal questions or specific lot questions I will respond by PM.

So, why are there so many missing photographs? - First, we apologize for the missing photos. Unfortunately, our photographer had gotten extremely sick and missed just over two weeks of work. Due to a large amount of advertising with the published launch date we opened as is. - We are still catching up, but hope to have all the images in there before the sale closes.
Not really sure that is fair to your consignors. I would be requesting a relisting or a return of goods.
Old 11-08-2019, 07:52 AM
Tony S.ti.ns.a
Tony Stins.a

Default Interested

I think I may be interested in a few of the lots but without listings of which cards are included and no images, it’s hard to determine.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:10 AM
John Wondowski

I started to register, but balked when asked for my full credit card info. There are a couple of potentially fun lots.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:47 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:

Aaron just one man's snarky opinion but you're losing credibility with lots like the 59 set which is described only as "PSA, SGC, High" whatever that means and with an unconvincing excuse for listing lots with no photos. Nobody else can operate a camera?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 11-08-2019 at 09:47 AM.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:47 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

My new secretary is a decent scanner, not as good as Ian (RIP) but she gets the job done. I'm prepared to loan her out for the day to scan whatever else you need for the auction (including that 52 Mantle). A sample of her work:

She does occasionally get 'sick' but only on Mondays and Fridays I find.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:59 AM
Banned

are there consignors to your auction or is most everything owned by the house?
Old 11-08-2019, 11:26 AM

What in the world is the "mid-low", "low", "mid-high" whatever your auction is using? Just grade the card.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:52 AM
keith janosky

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondo View Post
I started to register, but balked when asked for my full credit card info. There are a couple of potentially fun lots.
Yeah, Wanting credit card info for a start up auction company seems unusual. When you don't know anything about a company to freely give your credit card info. But that's just me. I don't even see the bigger auction companies wanting that.

Last edited by keithsky; 11-08-2019 at 11:54 AM.
Old 11-08-2019, 01:03 PM
Aaron Rothschild

Default Grade the card

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1954 View Post
What in the world is the "mid-low", "low", "mid-high" whatever your auction is using? Just grade the card.
Thanks for the comment about the card grading. The specifics of the Low, Mid and High are listed in the auction rules. I have put them below for those who did not read the rules.

At this time the lack of images on some card lots does make the Low, Mid, High challenging but as stated we are working to get all the images updated ASAP.

I hope this helps clarify.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

11. Grading, Authentication and Measurements: Grading and authentication are subjective. We make every attempt to point out significant flaws or markings on items within the auction. All measurements given in the descriptions are approximate.

The grades provided to items by Crazy Uncle Auctions are simply opinions provided as a result of our commercially reasonable efforts to provide as accurate a grading as possible. We do not guarantee that our grades will conform to the standards of 3rd party authenticators (TPA's). Furthermore, we are not bound by the opinions of any authenticators, grading services, or "experts". In addition, Crazy Uncle Auctions shall be free from any and all liability, as well as free from any and all legal claims whatsoever related in any way to our gradings.

A general overview of our current grading system is below.

Graded Cards and Autographs

Crazy Uncle recognizes the Grading Standards of PSA, SGC and Beckett as the only acceptable third-party for grading the cards in our inventory. Crazy Uncle recognizes the authentication (and grading) standards of PSA, JSA and Beckett as the only acceptable third-party for authentication of autographs in our inventory.

Ungraded Cards

In addition to graded cards, we have inventory of ungraded cards, which are classified by Crazy Uncle using a general classification system.

High – Mid – Low

As collectors ourselves, we understand the need to have a basic understanding of a card’s condition when purchasing card’s other than those encapsulated by the professional grading companies.

Our website shows the actual scans of each of the cards that are listed in any particular auction. However, even with an enlarged image of the cards’ scans can occasionally be unreliable. By using a general classification system, it is our goal to provide cards that meet, and exceed expectations.

High

This is the top classification for ungraded cards. Only a minor blemish is acceptable. Corners may exhibit very light fraying. Slight surface wear may be evident and most of the original gloss is retained. There are possible small wax stains on reverse and the card may have a minor printing imperfection. The picture focus may be slightly out-of-register. The card must be reasonably centered on the front and back.

Mid

Corners may have light fraying or show minor rounding. Surface wear is ordinary and somewhat noticeable. The card may have light scuffing or light scratches. A light crease may be visible. The card may have light marks on the surface.

Picture focus may be slightly out-of-register. The card may have wax stains on reverse, and it may exhibit slight notching on edges. Focus of the picture may be slightly out-of-register. Card boarders can be off-white and the printing may be off-center.

Low

Corners will show rounding, possibly with extreme wear, perhaps disturbing the framing of the picture. The surface of the card will show wear, including scuffing, scratching, pitting, chipping and staining. The picture might be out-of-register and the card may be off-center. The card may have writing or marks on the surface.

The card may have one or more light creases and may also have heavy creases. A card may be missing small pieces, it may show near breaks through the cardboard or it may have severe discoloration throughout on either the front or back. A card of this nature may also show noticeable warping or another type of defects.

Last edited by AJR; 11-08-2019 at 01:10 PM.
Old 11-08-2019, 01:04 PM
Aaron Rothschild

Default Items for sale at auction

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedsFan1941 View Post
are there consignors to your auction or is most everything owned by the house?
The items for sale in the auction are on consignment.
Old 11-08-2019, 01:19 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Thanks for the comment about the card grading. The specifics of the Low, Mid and High are listed in the auction rules. I have put them below for those who did not read the rules.

At this time the lack of images on some card lots does make the Low, Mid, High challenging but as stated we are working to get all the images updated ASAP.

I hope this helps clarify.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

11. Grading, Authentication and Measurements: Grading and authentication are subjective. We make every attempt to point out significant flaws or markings on items within the auction. All measurements given in the descriptions are approximate.

The grades provided to items by Crazy Uncle Auctions are simply opinions provided as a result of our commercially reasonable efforts to provide as accurate a grading as possible. We do not guarantee that our grades will conform to the standards of 3rd party authenticators (TPA's). Furthermore, we are not bound by the opinions of any authenticators, grading services, or "experts". In addition, Crazy Uncle Auctions shall be free from any and all liability, as well as free from any and all legal claims whatsoever related in any way to our gradings.

A general overview of our current grading system is below.

Graded Cards and Autographs

Crazy Uncle recognizes the Grading Standards of PSA, SGC and Beckett as the only acceptable third-party for grading the cards in our inventory. Crazy Uncle recognizes the authentication (and grading) standards of PSA, JSA and Beckett as the only acceptable third-party for authentication of autographs in our inventory.

Ungraded Cards

In addition to graded cards, we have inventory of ungraded cards, which are classified by Crazy Uncle using a general classification system.

High – Mid – Low

As collectors ourselves, we understand the need to have a basic understanding of a card’s condition when purchasing card’s other than those encapsulated by the professional grading companies.

Our website shows the actual scans of each of the cards that are listed in any particular auction. However, even with an enlarged image of the cards’ scans can occasionally be unreliable. By using a general classification system, it is our goal to provide cards that meet, and exceed expectations.

High

This is the top classification for ungraded cards. Only a minor blemish is acceptable. Corners may exhibit very light fraying. Slight surface wear may be evident and most of the original gloss is retained. There are possible small wax stains on reverse and the card may have a minor printing imperfection. The picture focus may be slightly out-of-register. The card must be reasonably centered on the front and back.

Mid

Corners may have light fraying or show minor rounding. Surface wear is ordinary and somewhat noticeable. The card may have light scuffing or light scratches. A light crease may be visible. The card may have light marks on the surface.

Picture focus may be slightly out-of-register. The card may have wax stains on reverse, and it may exhibit slight notching on edges. Focus of the picture may be slightly out-of-register. Card boarders can be off-white and the printing may be off-center.

Low

Corners will show rounding, possibly with extreme wear, perhaps disturbing the framing of the picture. The surface of the card will show wear, including scuffing, scratching, pitting, chipping and staining. The picture might be out-of-register and the card may be off-center. The card may have writing or marks on the surface.

The card may have one or more light creases and may also have heavy creases. A card may be missing small pieces, it may show near breaks through the cardboard or it may have severe discoloration throughout on either the front or back. A card of this nature may also show noticeable warping or another type of defects.
Why reinvent grading? I have to say that's an astounding amount of Babe Ruth autographs. Good Luck!
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 11-08-2019 at 01:24 PM.
Old 11-08-2019, 01:28 PM
Aaron Rothschild

Default reinventing grading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Why reinvent grading?
Thanks for the question - we have not reinvented grading - the reason for the scale is just to try and help bidders - conversely we could say nothing about the condition of the cards but we wanted to try give some guidance for those who participate in the sale.

Because we are not graders, we created a simple classification system which breaks the cards down into three easily understood categories for those who wish to use the labels as reference.

Using our Low, Mid, High classifications is a choice and - each person should use their own judgement when purchasing as each person has their own opinion of condition - thats why the TPGs always tell you "It's an opinion business".

We at Crazy Uncle Auctions are just trying to be helpful to the bidders.

Last edited by AJR; 11-08-2019 at 01:29 PM.
Old 11-08-2019, 02:17 PM
keith janosky

Nice grouping of stuff. Good luck with it, I also like the Ruth items.
Old 11-08-2019, 02:22 PM
Aaron Rothschild

Default Credit Card Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithsky View Post
Yeah, Wanting credit card info for a start up auction company seems unusual. When you don't know anything about a company to freely give your credit card info. But that's just me. I don't even see the bigger auction companies wanting that.
The registration form for Crazy Uncle Auctions is the same as the registration form for all other auction houses that use Simple Auction Software as their backend service provider. We have not made any changes or alterations to that standard form.
Old 11-08-2019, 02:31 PM
C.hris Bl.and

Just curious - how did you get my email address? I have received emails from your company and have never registered for any email notifications.

Type 1 photos of baseball HOFers
N172 Old Judge Portraits

Will buy or trade for the above. Check out my cards at:

www.imageevent.com/crb972
Old 11-08-2019, 02:52 PM
Dave Seffernick

Quote:
The items for sale in the auction are on consignment.
If feel sorry for the cosigners. No photo's, bad descriptions = poor bid results.
Old 11-08-2019, 03:28 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Ain't hurting Mick

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 11-08-2019, 04:29 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-illini View Post
Just curious - how did you get my email address? I have received emails from your company and have never registered for any email notifications.
This has happened to me dozens of times. Someone out there must be selling or sharing email lists.

Old 11-08-2019, 05:11 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Thanks for the question - we have not reinvented grading - the reason for the scale is just to try and help bidders - conversely we could say nothing about the condition of the cards but we wanted to try give some guidance for those who participate in the sale.

Because we are not graders, we created a simple classification system which breaks the cards down into three easily understood categories for those who wish to use the labels as reference.

Using our Low, Mid, High classifications is a choice and - each person should use their own judgement when purchasing as each person has their own opinion of condition - thats why the TPGs always tell you "It's an opinion business".

We at Crazy Uncle Auctions are just trying to be helpful to the bidders.
I try to be positive with other auction companies. I think competition and cooperation are good. But I have to say the bolded statement above is one of the biggest cop-outs in the hobby and a huge pet peeve of mine. If you're not a grader maybe selling raw cards isn't for you?

You've got lots of incredible autographs, and some amazing graded items. Some of it far beyond the kind of stuff I've had consigned, but to say you are being helpful to bidders by giving them LESS useful information about exactly the kinds of items for which MORE information is warranted for bidders to make an intelligent decision, seems a little disingenuous at best.

Why not use the accepted grading nomenclature and give a range, especially on the sets? "Cards range from VG to EX/MT with a majority approx VG/EX with few creases" and then listing specific grades on key cards will go a LONG way towards making bidders feel comfortable on large raw purchases. Put yourself in the bidder's shoes, what kind of information would encourage you to bid?

Sorry, I really do wish you the best, and take the constructive criticism for what it's worth considering the source, but I pride myself on my honesty and ethics and I really believe you are doing your consignors and ultimately yourself a disservice. If you think this is uncalled for let me know and I'll remove it. But since you addressed my question publicly I feel it's OK to answer in the same fashion.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 11-08-2019 at 06:02 PM. Reason: subject verb agreement
Old 11-08-2019, 05:13 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Just to put it out there once more, I have never, will never, and would never sell , or give out, any of the contact info from registrations. (unless it is something very extraordinary on an individual basis , almost always legal.)
Old 11-08-2019, 05:21 PM
Scott Russell

I wonder if people realize that there is definitely shaky legal ground in selling an email list.

Email recipients have to opt in to a list. Consent has to be given. If a list is sold to a new company they have not received consent from anyone on the list unless it was stated up front by the list originator that the list may be shared, sold etc. to the parties before they opted in.

I have had people try and buy my mailing list and I did the research. Needless to say I haven't shared or sold. Sending an email FOR a third party is OK as long as it is from the original list compiler.

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 11-08-2019 at 05:21 PM.
Old 11-08-2019, 05:24 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Just to put it out there once more, I have never, will never, and would never sell , or give out, any of the contact info from registrations. (unless it is something very extraordinary on an individual basis , almost always legal.)
Perhaps Aaron will tell us where he got all our emails. And no, it wasn't from Leon.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 11-08-2019 at 05:24 PM.
Old 11-08-2019, 05:28 PM
Peter Spaeth

"OWNERSHIP - The owners and directors of Crazy Uncle have been involved in some of the most significant auctions in sports collectibles history. They use their vast hobby knowledge and clientele to further enhance the experience for all collectors who make use of the Crazy Uncle Auction and The Uncle’s Attic private purchase platform."

But you can't grade a card???????

Old 11-08-2019, 05:48 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
I wonder if people realize that there is definitely shaky legal ground in selling an email list.

Email recipients have to opt in to a list. Consent has to be given. If a list is sold to a new company they have not received consent from anyone on the list unless it was stated up front by the list originator that the list may be shared, sold etc. to the parties before they opted in.

I have had people try and buy my mailing list and I did the research. Needless to say I haven't shared or sold. Sending an email FOR a third party is OK as long as it is from the original list compiler.
Shaky legal ground in stealing email lists too and selling them to auction houses.
Old 11-08-2019, 06:01 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Shaky legal ground in stealing email lists too and selling them to auction houses.
I'm no lawyer, but that might go right past shaky...

Old 11-08-2019, 08:08 PM

Last edited by Orioles1954; 11-08-2019 at 08:18 PM.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:16 PM

Quote:
I try to be positive with other auction companies. I think competition and cooperation are good. But I have to say the bolded statement above is one of the biggest cop-outs in the hobby and a huge pet peeve of mine. If you're not a grader maybe selling raw cards isn't for you?

You've got lots of incredible autographs, and some amazing graded items. Some of it far beyond the kind of stuff I've had consigned, but to say you are being helpful to bidders by giving them LESS useful information about exactly the kinds of items for which MORE information is warranted for bidders to make an intelligent decision, seems a little disingenuous at best.

Why not use the accepted grading nomenclature and give a range, especially on the sets? "Cards range from VG to EX/MT with a majority approx VG/EX with few creases" and then listing specific grades on key cards will go a LONG way towards making bidders feel comfortable on large raw purchases. Put yourself in the bidder's shoes, what kind of information would encourage you to bid?

Sorry, I really do wish you the best, and take the constructive criticism for what it's worth considering the source, but I pride myself on my honesty and ethics and I really believe you are doing your consignors and ultimately yourself a disservice. If you think this is uncalled for let me know and I'll remove it. But since you addressed my question publicly I feel it's OK to answer in the same fashion.
Truth. I’ve written several thousand vintage sets and always 1.) give an approximate condition breakdown; 2.) detail conditions of high numbers (if warranted) and 3.) give individual key grades. Since going this route 12+ years ago I’ve maybe had 5-10 returns? Bidders certainly appreciate it!

Last edited by Orioles1954; 11-08-2019 at 08:17 PM.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:20 PM
DR
David R@tliff

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithsky View Post
then you must not be bidding with them. the "bigger auction companies" all require some form of payment guarantee, usually via credit card.