NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Buy/Sell/Trade Section (must login, caveat emptor) > 1980 & Newer Sports Cards B/S/T

Old 01-24-2017, 11:14 PM
Phillip Abbott
Banned

Default The Death of Super Fractor

I don't want this thread to turn into a flamer. I am starting it on behalf of someone else and purely out of curiosity.

I don't collect modern anything anymore, but my friend has bought some cards that he enjoys because his team(the Royals) won the World Series and there were some memories had at the game that was attended.

Particularly his most enjoyed card is the Super Fractor Yordano Ventura in his rookie year(I THINK. Waiting on confirmation.) Obviously with the news he is wondering what this does to the value of the card.

To be completely honest neither me nor him even know what the card is truly worth on the open market or at auction(before or now). He is looking for some insight and advice, and I am curious to hear the feedback from some knowledgeable people. It is graded PSA 9 or PSA 10.(I can't remember. I am waiting to hear back and get scans/confirmation).

Based on what is above, I would really appreciate some feedback on value and how everyone believes the value of the card will go over time. As I get confirmation I will add it into the post.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by PhillipAbbott79; 01-24-2017 at 11:23 PM.
Old 01-25-2017, 06:32 AM
Archive

Just my opinion

Given the information you have posted, if the card is a Super Fractor, I'm assuming that it is a one of one (1/1). ?

If it is a 1/1 then determining a value is tough regardless of whether the player is alive or deceased.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that a 1/1 doesn't come with a set value or price tag. It all boils down to what another collector is willing to pay for the card.

Some factors may affect the value, HOFer, potential HOFer, rookie card and so on, but the bottom line is there really isn't a set value since the card is unique.

Years ago I pulled a rookie card from a pack, this was before 1/1s began to appear. This rookie card was kind of unique since it was numbered to 100 and I had the rookie's jersey number (serial #19/100). Some collectors would say it was a 1/1 card. I put the card up for auction on Ebay and did well with the auction. Fast forward 3 months and the rookie couldn't hit the ball and was sent back down to the minors. When things started going well again and the rookie was called back up to the majors, he got a different jersey number. Ouch!

On the other hand, several years ago someone paid over 10K for Strasburg's Super Fractor. So you just never know.

Hope this helps

Jantz
Old 01-25-2017, 06:51 AM
Tim Becker

I sold a 1/1 Sean Taylor psa 8 a few years ago for about $50. It was several years after his death but it was also not his rookie. Maybe that will help.
Old 01-25-2017, 07:13 AM
Ed Hutchinson

In the past, what has been the common trend is, if a player dies suddenly, his cards will skyrocket for the short term, then fall way off in price. People often buy the cards as a sort of remembrance of the player- but since the player's career is over, unless the player was HOF caliber, or a national hero (Pat Tillman comes to mind) the cards quickly become common.

Nick Adenhart of the Angels is a great example (young player killed in an auto accident several years ago)
When he was killed, his autograph RC cards spiked to over 100 dollars. Now, they can be found in bulk lots for 1.00 or less.

If he loves Ventura, he should keep the card.

If the sole goal is profit, selling right away is the best option (please dont judge me here, I'm just reporting on what Ive noticed in the hobby, not saying selling now is ok, in bad taste, or anything else)

Ed
Old 01-25-2017, 09:16 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

I think it would be best to look at other young popular players from recent years that didn't have a large body of work prior to their death.

This would include
Óscar Taveras
José Fernández
Nick Adenhart
Josh Hancock

Since he didn't have impressive numbers he will sadly be forgotten by the hobby as a whole. It will still be a card for people like your friend who are KC Royals fans.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:19 AM
Rich Klein

On a business level, sell him now. You will never have another chance to make the same amount of money

On a personal level, if the player was a favorite of yours and you created a PC, then keep the card.

Rich
Old 01-25-2017, 11:39 AM
T0dd M@rcum

Steve Bechler comes to mind.