NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 08-17-2014, 12:00 PM
Matt

That is amazing about the Estrada-- at least with the Goudey Nap they allowed you to send in for it! So how do most set builders obtain the Estrada? Did a few manage to escape the factory? Fascinating card. As a former set builder I love cards with mystique like that. Must feel great to finally have it.
Old 08-17-2014, 01:59 PM
Matt

Chris & Yossarian, thx re: the Banks. Very few places one can go to find those who can appreciate the challenge of finding a properly cut Ernie Banks RC!

This card below is one of my favorite baseball cards of all time. Sacrificed a bit on top-bottom centering for picture clarity and color...

Last edited by MattyC; 08-17-2014 at 02:17 PM.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:43 AM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
That is amazing about the Estrada-- at least with the Goudey Nap they allowed you to send in for it! So how do most set builders obtain the Estrada? Did a few manage to escape the factory? Fascinating card. As a former set builder I love cards with mystique like that. Must feel great to finally have it.

Thank you Matt....and yes, a relief to cross this card off of the need list. While the copies of the Estrada are available(there are several offered on ebay as singles), they command a steep price. In this shape, a $100 price point would be considered good(for a common?). While the 61 Post set has over 200 different players in the set, when the variations are figured in there are over 350 different cards. There are 160 "company issued" cards, and if I am not mistaken, 2 cards (Estrada and Shaw) were only issued as company cards. Here is a link to a REA auction for a set of the company issued cards from this set ....it also discusses how the company cards were issued:

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/.../2011/918.html
Old 08-18-2014, 11:38 AM

Howdy Savedfrommyspokes,

A hearty congratulations upon getting that beautiful '61 Post Estrada for your set.

I think you are mistaken about the number of cards that were ONLY available by sending away for a particular team sheet. I am no expert, but I do recall a couple other examples of this---the Yankees' sheet having Bob Turley, and the Senators' sheet had Chuck Stobbs.

The other scenario I well remember from hobby literature was a couple players that were very hard to find, and only on the cereal boxes. You probably know of them: Bob Shaw of the White Sox; and Mel Roach of the Braves. What you might not know is that even in 1969, renown mail order dealer Bruce Yeko singled those two cards out in his catalog entry for the set, and put a hefty premium on their purchase price. The price is of course comical today, but at 1-2 dollars for each, that made them approximately 10-20 times the cost of a common single. In fact, he priced all the cards the same, save for Shaw and Roach.

As you can imagine, 1969 was a time when very few adults, teens, and youngsters sent away for cards. Had Bruce been buried with orders for certain stars, he would have adjusted his prices. When he didn't have the card, which was half the time for the admittedly star cards I wanted from him, he'd simply issue me a credit slip on the paperwork with the cards he had sent me. In a few short years, the price of all star cards was being adjusted on a monthly to a weekly basis by the now burgeoning adult card hobby!

Sounds as if you're having a ton of fun with the '61 Post. I'll always love those--the first baseball cards I saw in 1961, the year I began collecting. Have a great one. --Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 08-18-2014 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Fixed some awkward wording. N'yuk, n'yuk, n'yuk, n'yuk.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:18 PM
Larry More.y

Hi Brian, thank you...
When I posted that previous message, I was indeed going by memory and not my checklist, thus my disclaimer. You are correct that the Turley and Stobbs were also only company issued....I received a copy of the Turley in the same lot as the Estrada. As far as the Shaw and Roach, the Roach arrived embedded in a previous lot. So, if you have not guessed this yet, I will be patiently waiting for both the Stobbs and Shaw cards to arrive via a future lot.

Interesting story about Bruce....he was probably one of the few people who handled enough quantity of and requests for these cards that he must have quickly recognized that Shaw and Roach were low pop type cards, based on his supply and demand.

Any idea why the Roach card was not numbered in sequence with the other Braves cards from this set?
Old 08-18-2014, 09:32 PM
Matt

One of the most under graded looking pieces I have come across! Was about to pull trigger on a 5 but spent way less on a better looking piece. Curious to get it in hand and see what the issue is; back looks great, too.

Last edited by MattyC; 08-18-2014 at 09:32 PM.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:18 AM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

Been wanting this Bench card for a long time. I was the under bidder on PSA 9 a couple of months ago. Looking back I should have ponied up the big money because that 9 that I lost out on was perfectly centered. This one sold me on the sharpness of the corners and overall color even if it has a slight tilt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bench 1969 Front PSA 9 net54.jpg (40.8 KB, 220 views)
Old 08-19-2014, 05:26 PM
Anthony Rodriguez

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
One of the most under graded looking pieces I have come across! Was about to pull trigger on a 5 but spent way less on a better looking piece. Curious to get it in hand and see what the issue is; back looks great, too.

Beautiful card, enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-19-2014, 07:44 PM
Matt

Thx!

Love the 69 Bench; it is a card on my list, too. To think I went and sold a 9 years ago when I was collecting a set-- to buy some commons! Face palm time!

Just found this bad boy on ebay-- had been one of the toughest in the run for me to hunt down well-centered.

Last edited by MattyC; 08-19-2014 at 07:45 PM.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:28 PM

Hiya Savedfrom...(What's your first name, bub?)

I must confess that I never really collected the set, and never noticed that card 163 Mel Roach was placed smack dab in the middle of the Los Angeles Dodgers numerical sequence---7 Dodgers before and after. That discovery is most fascinating.

According to Baseball-Reference.com, on May 9, 1961 the Milwaukee Braves traded Mel Roach to the Chicago Cubs for Frank Thomas, which I'm sure bears much weight in the explanation of why Roach is tough, though I'm still puzzled by his assigned number in the middle of the Dodgers.

As for number 193 Frank Thomas, he's with his fellow Cubs. However, it seems Post just kept Frank on the Cubs' send-away team sheet. As for his box card, it must have been deleted from the set, because the Standard Catalog has the cereal box Frank Thomas valued at $37, whereas the send-away card is only $7. (The values are from the long out-of-date 2001 Standard Catalog, but are relevant for the point regarding the disparity in value, which deduces that the Thomas box card is much much more scarce)

Then again, kids simply collected cards or teams; few would be brave enough to go for the entire set, so Roach having an oddball number may have been no big deal to Post. Maybe there originally was to have been another Dodger, such as Sandy Koufax! Wish Dan Mabey would come to our rescue on this one. Perhaps he knows.

--Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 08-19-2014 at 11:09 PM.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:08 PM

matt - that is one helluva nice looking card.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:28 AM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post
Hiya Savedfrom...(What's your first name, bub?)

I must confess that I never really collected the set, and never noticed that card 163 Mel Roach was placed smack dab in the middle of the Los Angeles Dodgers numerical sequence---7 Dodgers before and after. That discovery is most fascinating.

According to Baseball-Reference.com, on May 9, 1961 the Milwaukee Braves traded Mel Roach to the Chicago Cubs for Frank Thomas, which I'm sure bears much weight in the explanation of why Roach is tough, though I'm still puzzled by his assigned number in the middle of the Dodgers.

As for number 193 Frank Thomas, he's with his fellow Cubs. However, it seems Post just kept Frank on the Cubs' send-away team sheet. As for his box card, it must have been deleted from the set, because the Standard Catalog has the cereal box Frank Thomas valued at $37, whereas the send-away card is only $7. (The values are from the long out-of-date 2001 Standard Catalog, but are relevant for the point regarding the disparity in value, which deduces that the Thomas box card is much much more scarce)

Then again, kids simply collected cards or teams; few would be brave enough to go for the entire set, so Roach having an oddball number may have been no big deal to Post. Maybe there originally was to have been another Dodger, such as Sandy Koufax! Wish Dan Mabey would come to our rescue on this one. Perhaps he knows.

--Brian Powell
Brian,
You are right, Dan will likely have the answer in regards to the numbering of the Roach card....hopefully he will see this thread.

Here is a year old article on Dan by SCD:
http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com...-cereal-cards/

According to this article, there are 543 total cards in the 62 set....I thought I was almost done with the 62 set needing just the blue lined Koufax and Clemente to complete the set based on the checklist in my VBC. Guess I have more work to do there. There seem to be an almost endless number of background and cropping variations on the player's images in this set.

Larry
Old 08-20-2014, 06:29 AM
Larry More.y

Matt, good call on the great centering on that sharp looking 60 Mantle.