NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 07-11-2016, 08:52 PM
D@le Irv*n

Default If this Jackie is a 4, is mine a 5?

Just wondering and trying to figure out if I should get mine graded?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-Topps-J...p2047675.l2557
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jackie2.jpg (77.8 KB, 261 views)
Old 07-11-2016, 09:49 PM
David M.

It could get a five, but grading is so subjective that it's really hard to guess. I would get it graded just to protect it from handling and it would make it easier to sell or trade if you ever want to go that route.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:47 PM
Bill Gregory

That Robinson was graded a while ago; no PSA hologram. Since the changes to the slab/flip, PSA has, in my opinion, started grading vintage more strictly. What was a 5 before now is likely a 4.

Your card is nice, and I would get it graded, regardless (your Mantle and Mays, too, if you haven't already). Slab the cards to get them protected, and for insurance purposes.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 07-11-2016, 11:16 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

There was a really nice 3 that sold on ebay a few days ago thats better than that 4 in the link you provided and the 3 sold for around 1500.

I would just send it in, but i think its probaby going to be a 3/4.
Old 07-11-2016, 11:47 PM
je.sse @rnot

Yours looks like a 4 to me, but you never know. It is nicer than the ebay one in your link. But as others said grading is subjective and standards appear tougher now. I wouldn't be surprised by anything in the 3-5 range. Still worth submitting in that range. I would send it in with the Mays and Mantle soon if they were my cards.
Old 07-12-2016, 03:23 AM
Ne@l K

The 1952 Topps Robinson is an iconic, visually appealing card. I would say your card would grade anywhere from a PSA 3-4, maybe 4.5, and it would be money well spent.

You could list it here and it would be gone inside of a few hours.

Nice card - get it slabbed!

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others
Old 07-12-2016, 05:21 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Smile

Very nice card Dale. I'd send off to PSA and hold it for at lest a couple years. You will never go wrong with this card.
Old 07-12-2016, 05:59 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Nice card, but I'm in with everyone else at a solid 4.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:21 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
That Robinson was graded a while ago; no PSA hologram. Since the changes to the slab/flip, PSA has, in my opinion, started grading vintage more strictly. What was a 5 before now is likely a 4.

Your card is nice, and I would get it graded, regardless (your Mantle and Mays, too, if you haven't already). Slab the cards to get them protected, and for insurance purposes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
There was a really nice 3 that sold on ebay a few days ago thats better than that 4 in the link you provided and the 3 sold for around 1500.

I would just send it in, but i think its probaby going to be a 3/4.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
Yours looks like a 4 to me, but you never know. It is nicer than the ebay one in your link. But as others said grading is subjective and standards appear tougher now. I wouldn't be surprised by anything in the 3-5 range. Still worth submitting in that range. I would send it in with the Mays and Mantle soon if they were my cards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
The 1952 Topps Robinson is an iconic, visually appealing card. I would say your card would grade anywhere from a PSA 3-4, maybe 4.5, and it would be money well spent.

You could list it here and it would be gone inside of a few hours.

Nice card - get it slabbed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
Very nice card Dale. I'd send off to PSA and hold it for at lest a couple years. You will never go wrong with this card.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRfan1 View Post
Nice card, but I'm in with everyone else at a solid 4.
Thanks guys!

In my haste, after I was finally able to get my pics looking like the actual cards in hand (fussy scanner I own!) and being happy with how my Jackie and other cards turned out, I began to compare them with other slabbed cards I seen and immediately thought my Jackie was nicer than that PSA 4 I posted, completely not realizing/recognizing it was an older graded slab.

I do agree with everyone's opinion as I have also noticed, and have mentioned more than a few times, that grading is now tougher than what it use to be.

As far as sending it in, it still makes me nervous thinking about it (Shipping, duty, tx's, the current CDN exchange rate and of course it/them getting lost in the mail) but I have been procrastinating/talking about it long enough that I either need to sh*t or get off the pot thinking about it.

With the current craze going on with cards, I assume all the grading companies are crazy busy but I was also wondering if there is a lull at times, throughout the year, that they aren't quite so busy?
Old 07-12-2016, 07:27 AM
Glyn Parson

Default Sorry

You aren't getting a 5 on that card. Maybe if you had submitted it in 1995 but not anymore. Standards are now to tough to give your card a 5. Id say 3.5 to 4. The one graded would be a 3 today at best.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:28 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

You might be able to piggyback with someone else who sends in a lot of cards to PSA for grading.

This approach may help you in a variety of ways..........
Old 07-12-2016, 07:35 AM
$téve VV1lk

I agree with everyone. I think you've got yourself a nice PSA 4 and possibly a 3.5 if there's a hairline wrinkle or something that you missed.

I would grade it mostly for the purpose of making sure that it stays a VGEX card. And yea, do it for insurance purposes, which is always a plus.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:47 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
You aren't getting a 5 on that card. Maybe if you had submitted it in 1995 but not anymore. Standards are now to tough to give your card a 5. Id say 3.5 to 4. The one graded would be a 3 today at best.
i always find it interesting when people predict a half grade....half grades occur what around 10% or less ( currently 162 psa 3 and 21 psa 3.5s )compared to the base grade. Half grades are so rare to get i never would predict a half grade. I would just say 3-4 range instead of 3.5-4

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 07-12-2016 at 07:49 AM.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:49 AM
Glyn Parson

Default i think its a 4

id be shocked if a straight 3 and at lower grades half points are far easier to guess from my experience than high half grades. I submit around 10,000 cards a year i am pretty comfortable with my guesses.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:47 AM
D@le Irv*n

Looking at some current 52 Topps for sale at PWCC, I would also say my card is likely a 3-4 tops, with a slight lean towards the 3.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:23 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
id be shocked if a straight 3 and at lower grades half points are far easier to guess from my experience than high half grades. I submit around 10,000 cards a year i am pretty comfortable with my guesses.
just saying theres a 10% chance basically of any grade being a half grade compared to the full grade looking at the POP reports (including the PSA 3 Jackie at issue), yes i know half grades havent been around forever.

Still, if someone told me im going to get a 5.5 to a 6 for example, that really doesnt leave margin for error if the card gets graded a 5. i would just say 5-6 to avoid a disappointment from the submitter to be on the safe side even if i have experience submitting a million cards giving the POP reports of how rare half grades are

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 07-12-2016 at 10:24 AM.
Old 07-12-2016, 01:16 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

With the PSA grading basically all over the map on the lower grades I would guess a 3-4, but hell you never know submit enough times and you may get higher.

No matter what, it is a wise idea to slab all of your top cards for insurance reasons like Bill mentioned as it does help solidify a comparable value for adjusters who might be all over the map.

It's likely that the Mantle with the large amount of paper loss will only get an "auth" grade, but that is better than arguing with an unknowing adjuster that it is legit and valuable after a disaster. After a fire or flood, the last thing anyone needs is additional frustration.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.

Last edited by JustinD; 07-12-2016 at 01:17 PM.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:28 PM
Bill Gregory

You also have to consider that population reports aren't accurate gauges of what's happening with grading now. They are cumulative. PSA has been grading cards for quite a while now, and half grades are a relatively new phenomenon. Of course there are going to be more cards with full point grades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
just saying theres a 10% chance basically of any grade being a half grade compared to the full grade looking at the POP reports (including the PSA 3 Jackie at issue), yes i know half grades havent been around forever.

Still, if someone told me im going to get a 5.5 to a 6 for example, that really doesnt leave margin for error if the card gets graded a 5. i would just say 5-6 to avoid a disappointment from the submitter to be on the safe side even if i have experience submitting a million cards giving the POP reports of how rare half grades are

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:45 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
You also have to consider that population reports aren't accurate gauges of what's happening with grading now. They are cumulative. PSA has been grading cards for quite a while now, and half grades are a relatively new phenomenon. Of course there are going to be more cards with full point grades.

Yes i stated that already in my opinion that i know half grades have not been around forever, however people have resubmitted cards from the pre-half grade times with the hope of a better grade including a half grade so it is not like every card graded before the half grades started never get the opportunity for a regrade (and then they would change the POP report on those)

Just check out the POP reports...its normaly 10% half grade versus full grades, you also figure only the best examples are re-submitted with the hope of the bump to the half grade better

Plus just check what happened in 2014 which i assume was after half grades were allowed for ALL Baseball cards graded by PSA

http://www.psacard.com/pop/baseball-cards/2014/118266

PSA 8 2009
PSA 8.5 301

PSA 7 389
PSA 7.5 39

PSA 6 176
PSA 6.5 11

PSA 5 71
PSA 5.5 2 !!!!!

The half grades look about the same representation in 2014 as they do in 1952 Topps, so it does appear whether its pre-half grade times or post, its extremely hard to predict half grades whn its only going to happen around 10 percent of the time. I would rather give someone a range of 3-4 than 3.5-4 given all of the POP stats..

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 07-12-2016 at 09:56 PM.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:19 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
With the PSA grading basically all over the map on the lower grades I would guess a 3-4, but hell you never know submit enough times and you may get higher.

No matter what, it is a wise idea to slab all of your top cards for insurance reasons like Bill mentioned as it does help solidify a comparable value for adjusters who might be all over the map.

It's likely that the Mantle with the large amount of paper loss will only get an "auth" grade, but that is better than arguing with an unknowing adjuster that it is legit and valuable after a disaster. After a fire or flood, the last thing anyone needs is additional frustration.
Thanks, Justin!

Not sure I'll slab all of my cards but it has been suggested before that I should definitely get my all high number/high value cards slabbed, which is good advice based on what I have learned here since joining.

My personal choice to get this done is to actually take a trip/vacation and have then done during that time or while I wait so to speak.

I think this is best as it will alleviate a lot of the concerns/costs I have with shipping, money, getting lost in the mail etc.

Just don't know when the time will come, but it is something I am considering this coming winter.