NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-12-2014, 04:32 PM
Jesse

Default T206 guys what to collect. Please like opinions

Hi guys as you most know I am doing the 34 & 38 Goudey sets but I really want to get involved in the T206 craze. It will give me something to look for rather than just goudey's when there isn't much around. Anyway I would like your opinions or suggestions on what I should collect. I know it's what I like to collect. Well ill put it this way I'd like something that maybe down the line may be Sought after. Since I don't have the knowledge and you guys do figure let's ask. I myself have checked on t206 resource and its a great site. But guys lets hear it what should I collect or build with the t206. I am not tackling the monster haha that def won't happen haha.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:40 PM
Charlie

You want something not too large, hold it's value or possibly increase down the road. Go with the 48 Southern League players. They will cost you more than most commons but most will not be in the HOF player cost area.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:42 PM
David Pierson
Banned

If you don't want to tackle the whole set, you could concentrate on players without mustaches.
On a serious note, how about certain teams, or just pitchers or catchers?
Good luck, Dave. or just portraits or the seven horizontals?

Last edited by Cardboard Junkie; 02-12-2014 at 04:43 PM.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:54 PM
Steven H.

Funny you are looking to collect a T206 subset of some type. I started on players from the Columbus Senators (Solons) to mix up my collection I little from just 34 Goudeys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pre-1950 Cuban Cards: Focus on Billiken, Macionales, & Aguilitas
Old 02-12-2014, 05:23 PM
Jesse

Thanks guys I know it's tough to pick so much to choose from.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:33 PM
Brandon Raber

I really enjoy player back runs or team runs. Most teams have at least one hall of famer to keep things interesting.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:44 PM
Jesse

I'm thinking southern leaguers may be an option but also looking at the different backs. Man this is tougher than I thought
Old 02-12-2014, 07:17 PM

Default kam.....

collect the "rarities" if you can swing 'em......differentiates them from "common" T206.... both in value, and collectabilty, investment, ect...

tough backs/ freaks/ variations/ short printed commons( piedy 350 of Ewing, lindaman, ect)..2 different name top to bottom..weird miscuts...try to find "great" buys....short population cards.....tuf front/back commons like the old mill standard baseball players( check out T206resource a lot of common "backs" player combos are not even confirmed!)

fun to find an old mill common player that is not even confirmed yet

or try to collect blue chips= hofers/s.lers/ ect...

you have a blast! try combing ebay to find a "hidden gem"

email me if you have questions....if I don't know, i'll find out for ya
Old 02-12-2014, 07:22 PM
T0dd M@rcum

you could pick a color of background...I always thought the red and green background cards were especially striking (either of those choices will lead you to a Cobb on the want list). Teams are good if you have an allegiance or players connected with your home state, which adds a research component to the mix. Personally, I might choose players where the background show a part of the stadium, which I think is especially interesting to give it a real sense of the period.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:27 PM
Jesse

Thanks mrvster I like getting some opinions I mean I just really like to be involved with the 206 following. Something to get me more involved in the community
Old 02-12-2014, 07:35 PM

Default kam...

the best is finding a "gem" hidden on ebay (missing ink/rare back not listed , ect)

especially for like $20.00

I'm here for you brah
Old 02-12-2014, 09:39 PM
Mike C@.v3

Hey Jesse...a lot of different ways to collect this set, just like many have already mentioned. If you are not wanting to collect the whole set, Southern Leaguers are a good option. I would suggest collect "Good to VG" conditioned cards as they will not break the bank...especially on HOFers and SLer's. Just look for good eye appeal in that grade range. Different backs are great, but the prices are stupid ridiculous on most of the tougher ones...not worth it IMO.

I would suggest to pick up a few random cards, different backs and such and see what makes you happy. Sometimes you won't know until you actually have them in-hand! Good luck either way,

Mike
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48

Last edited by freakhappy; 02-12-2014 at 09:40 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:42 AM
Jesse

"I would suggest to pick up a few random cards, different backs and such and see what makes you happy. Sometimes you won't know until you actually have them in-hand! Good luck either way"

Very true I guess I won't know until I pick some up. Maybe I will go with picking up a few and then go from there.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:05 AM
B. Schneid.
Ben Sch.neider

A great "starter" subset that should hold it's value, are the T206 players that were involved in the 1919 Black Sox Scandal. It's an easy subset since there are only 3 cards: Eddie Cicotte, Chick Gandhil, and Bill Burns. And if you want to expand the set you could also include Hal Chase, who is rumored to have been involved. Which brings the total to 8 cards.

Another easy starter subset would be to collect the horizontal cards. There's only 6 in the set: Birmingham, Mullin, Murphy, Pattee, and Pelty. Only Pelty should run you over $100. It's a beautiful set, and collectors from any card era like collecting horizontal cards, so they should hold their value.

I'm currently working on a Cincinnati team set, and it's been a lot of fun. I originally started out buying random HOF's that caught my eye, but I felt there really wasn't a focus. With a team set it's easy.

Also, I'd suggest you pick up the book, "The T206 Collection: The Player & Their Stories" by Tom Zappala. It's a great book for learning about the players from the set.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:16 AM
Jesse

I thought bout the horizontals. They are pretty cool. So many options. As for the book ill have to check that out.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:27 AM
Jesse

Anyone else have recommendations. I think I am down to this

Horizontals
super print set of maybe chase or chance
SL set
What to do is going to be the question?
Old 02-14-2014, 07:28 AM
pete ullman

I'd recommend collecting something else...
Old 02-14-2014, 07:57 AM
Jesse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
I'd recommend collecting something else...
What do u recommend lol
Old 02-14-2014, 08:19 AM
pete ullman

Well... Tell me what it is about tea 206 that strikes your fancy then maybe I can offer other suggestions.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:49 AM
Steven H.

Yes, yes, collect Chase. Convert to a Yankees fame . Like I mentioned, I'm hitting Columbus Senators first since I'm putting a lot of $$ into my Goudey set. I will eventually move onto the NY Highlanders of the T206 and T3 sets.
Pre-1950 Cuban Cards: Focus on Billiken, Macionales, & Aguilitas
Old 02-14-2014, 10:00 AM
Jesse

Quote:
Well... Tell me what it is about tea 206 that strikes your fancy then maybe I can offer other suggestions.
What I like about the set is more the history behind the set. I mean it's basically the first mass produced card really. I am big into antiques and vintage stuff. Plus the art work is something I enjoy very much. Just to think what they had to use to get this real life cards. I mean probably one I the most sought after sets in our hobby so I want to be involved with the history behind our great hobby.

As for the converting to a Yankee fan that will never happen haha
Old 02-14-2014, 10:34 AM
Mike C@.v3

It seems like you are still very much in the middle of deciding what you want to collect. What I would do seriously, is start collecting a certain team first and complete that mini set and that may tell you where you want to go from there. Each team doesn't have that many players and they aren't too tough to collect depending on which team you select. Either way, you won't have trouble selling them off if you decide you don't want them anymore. If you collect Southern Leaguers, you will be looking at around $45-60 a pop generally for a "good" conditioned card except for a few that will cost you a little bit more and there are 48 of them, so it will take a bit before you finish. If you just select a certain team to collect, you can pick one with one or two HOFers, so you have some relevant players in there so it doesn't make it a somewhat boring team to collect.

Ultimately the decision is yours, but IMO this may be the way to start out and then decide.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:23 AM
Jesse

I like ur thought mike. It does make sense just start buying and then see where to go from there. Maybe that's what I will do. I just now will jut pick a team an go with it
Old 02-14-2014, 11:57 AM
Jay Shelton

I concur with the horizontals, and other than one, which has been selling for a lot recently both on the bay and here, the six cards are relatively inexpensive to find/obtain. I am halfway there….
Old 02-14-2014, 12:23 PM
pete ullman

My opinion...if u must collect T206!!!!!! Would be to NOT go after team sets...unless you think you may go after the whole set...this is a bad investment!

Go after individual cards...I like the horizontals...or just specific players/poses you fancy...even better if they are HOF'ers...SL'ers are tougher and will hold value well in the future.

If you are just sticking to fronts...the above criteria will be a good investment in your enjoyment and beyond.

If u think you'd like to collect the backs...go after mid grade tougher backs...avoiding the real toughies unless you want to spend a lot of $$$$....go after the BL's...the Carolina Brights...the hindu's...the EPDG...these should hold value well...again...much better if the fronts are H'ofers.

I'd avoid "fads" like Mullin, Titus.

As a reformed T206 backs collector/type collector...I love the idea of going for a run as this encompasses lots of diff styles of collecting all in one.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:29 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
My opinion...if u must collect T206!!!!!! Would be to NOT go after team sets...unless you think you may go after the whole set...this is a bad investment!

Go after individual cards...I like the horizontals...or just specific players/poses you fancy...even better if they are HOF'ers...SL'ers are tougher and will hold value well in the future.

If you are just sticking to fronts...the above criteria will be a good investment in your enjoyment and beyond.

If u think you'd like to collect the backs...go after mid grade tougher backs...avoiding the real toughies unless you want to spend a lot of $$$$....go after the BL's...the Carolina Brights...the hindu's...the EPDG...these should hold value well...again...much better if the fronts are H'ofers.

As a reformed T206 backs collector/type collector...I love the idea of going for a run as this encompasses lots of diff styles of collecting all in one.

Horizontals are definitely cool....Here is one from my collection that just came back from SGC....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bl14t206birmingham 001.jpg (75.6 KB, 108 views)
Old 02-14-2014, 12:32 PM
Buddy Wi11:rich
Banned

Quote:
Couldn't agree more here, especially the Titus. There are tons of his cards out there being driven up by false "rarity" claims. Don't feed the hoarders! Worst investment you can ever make in T206 right now. I'd add the Pelty horizontal to that list as well. Eventually the nonsense will stop (and it always does) and these cards will come back to where they should be, in the mean time, avoid.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:40 PM
pete ullman

leon that birmingham is f-ing gorgeous...for a t206!
Old 02-14-2014, 12:52 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
leon that birmingham is f-ing gorgeous...for a t206!
Thanks Peter. I think there are a TON of ungraded nice T206s in the hands of collectors. Here is one more from my collection, just back this week from SGC.....shameless plug, these will be in our auction opening in 10 days...I kind of like the colors on this one too...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bl14t206mcaleese 001.jpg (76.4 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg bl14t206mcalleseb 001.jpg (77.8 KB, 99 views)
Old 02-14-2014, 01:05 PM
D@rek H.ogue

I disagree that Titus is a "fad".

Without mentioning names, I can think of ONE ebay seller who has sold and received positive feedback from ONE buyer for something like 10+ John Titus, all very, very recently.

They are in fact being hoarded, perhaps by more than once person.

Now, if this person or persons decides to dump them all at once, this is a different story.

Otherwise, you have a T206 subject which now becomes difficult to obtain at a "reasonable" price, and you will most certainly have competition. Its rarity may be manufactured, so to speak, but it is still a rarity nonetheless.

Lets see if this same person keeps snatching up every Titus they can get their hands on, if pricing remains strong, and if this subject continues to become increasingly difficult to obtain at a "reasonable" price.

People continue to list them at very high prices, and they continue to have their prices met (quickly I might add).
Old 02-14-2014, 01:24 PM
Mike C@.v3

Quote:

Now you want to finally give your opinion on this set that you hate sooooo much...why now

Anyway, who said Jesse is investing anything? He is trying to find something to "collect"...that's what most of us are trying to do here, right? Pete, stick to your big glove Miller run

The point I was trying to make with making the starting point with a team set is that it's relatively cheap if he decides to go that route and not break the bank with HOFers only or SLers. This way he can get nice looking examples for the same price he would be spending on Poor-good examples of the HOFers/Slers...that was the main point. And after that he will have a better idea where to go from there.

As far as investing, go get some Cobbs or Ruth cards if you are looking to cash in later, but that is for a different thread and purpose.

Jesse, what kind of money are you looking to spend on each card and what condition do you want to collect them in? This will help narrow your decision a bit. If he is ok with spending close to $200 on an overrated Pelty, then horizontals may be up his alley.

Last edited by freakhappy; 02-14-2014 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:38 PM
Jesse

Wow so much information. Well money I mean I don't mind spending the money on certain cards that's for sure. But I don't wanna be spending thousands, remember my 34 goudey set is my main priority. I'm just looking for something new to collect and everyone here is very knowledgeable bout the set which helps. Just look it has it's own section haha. I think I my just start picking up maybe a few decent graded ones, maybe like a Collins,chance,Kelly,chase. I have to say there has been a ton of help on here and I really appreciate everyone's input. I'm not familiar with the t206's like some of you but when your In a dry spell of 34's and don't see as many I just want to pick some up here and there.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:20 PM

As if you needed more ideas, here is a thought: because this is a supplement to your collecting and not a main focus, you might enjoy something less specific. T206 being my passion horizontals, SLers, etc excite me. If it were a side interest, I would probably start with just collecting old mill backs. It's a less specific focus that doesnt require a large time investment to find one of a very limited number of choices. In addition, you can still grab a SLer, HOFer, etc with an old mill back. Here is a great thread about the available OM backs:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...t=92110&page=5

Alternatively, you could set a price point for commons and start picking a bunch up until you are inspired to move in a more specific direction. This thread is a wonderful example of what makes the t206 set so compelling... it inspires many people in many different ways. Make it your own and enjoy the ride!
Old 02-14-2014, 02:25 PM
Luke Lyon

I'd say just study up on current prices and stick in some bids on the cards you mentioned when you see one you like. T206s are basically a commodity, so as long as you pay market value for the cards you buy, you're not going to lose any money. Just pick up a few that you like, and see if it makes you want more. If not, just sell them and try something else.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:22 PM
Alex

I have thought about going after every card that depicts a left handed player in an action pose. Of course you get screwed by the Cobbs.

SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:54 PM
Jesse

A ton of help again guys thanks for all the responses. Show you what help this community can be.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:20 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikidEFFL View Post
Hi guys as you most know I am doing the 34 & 38 Goudey sets but I really want to get involved in the T206 craze. It will give me something to look for rather than just goudey's when there isn't much around. Anyway I would like your opinions or suggestions on what I should collect. I know it's what I like to collect. Well ill put it this way I'd like something that maybe down the line may be Sought after. Since I don't have the knowledge and you guys do figure let's ask. I myself have checked on t206 resource and its a great site. But guys lets hear it what should I collect or build with the t206. I am not tackling the monster haha that def won't happen haha.
In The first post he mentions wanting to collect cards that will be sought after down the road... To Me this implies an investment.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:24 PM
Jesse

it is a bit of investment i just didn't want to buy something that will decrease in value down the line.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:13 PM
pete ullman

Well who the hell does???
Old 02-14-2014, 05:28 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nasty Nati View Post

...I'd suggest you pick up the book, "The T206 Collection: The Player & Their Stories" by Tom Zappala. It's a great book for learning about the players from the set.
Perhaps start with this book, look at all of the T206 card fronts, and figure out which images appeal to you the most. From there, seek examples which present nicely and are in in VG to EX condition.

As others have mentioned, avoid the fads and pay attention to market price. That way, you can recoup the purchase price if you decide to sell them down the road.

Just my two cents. There are countless ways to collect T206...no "one right way" to go about it.

Best regards,

Eric

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 02-14-2014, 05:40 PM
pete ullman

Orrrrrrrrrrrrr...you can just get yourself these old posters from the 80's and you can look at them all together!!!

I had these mounted on foam board 25 yrs ago...they're cool and cheap I believe!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t206ss.jpg (82.6 KB, 77 views)
Old 02-14-2014, 05:50 PM
Mike C@.v3

Default T206 guys what to collect. Please like opinions

That is a cool setup, Pete...I would like a visual like that! Sure would save me some money rather than trying to accumulate the set!!

Eric, I would suggest the same...buy the book and look at the cards and see which ones you like the most. The book is really good...you won't be disappointed!

Last edited by freakhappy; 02-14-2014 at 05:52 PM.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:55 PM
pete ullman

they're arranged by team which is cool!
Old 02-14-2014, 05:56 PM
Mike C@.v3

Quote:
they're arranged by team which is cool!

Payment sent

Old 02-14-2014, 05:57 PM
pete ullman

I believe they come available from time to time...relatively inexpensive. some of the big old dealers may have some.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:57 PM
pete ullman

and they are "real" cards...not like the book! Perhaps from the collection of John D. Wagner?

Last edited by ullmandds; 02-14-2014 at 05:58 PM.
Old 02-14-2014, 06:29 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Orrrrrrrrrrrrr...you can just get yourself these old posters from the 80's and you can look at them all together!!!

I had these mounted on foam board 25 yrs ago...they're cool and cheap I believe!
But, Pete...the posters don't have the cool bios to let the reader know which T206 cards depict players who caught a baseball dropped from the Washington Monument or developed the mud used to dull the bright white shine off of a new baseball for the past 75 years.

Back stories such as those make collecting T206 much more interesting for me...and add fuel to my collecting fire.

Best,

Eric

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 02-14-2014, 06:32 PM
pete ullman

I agree...the stories are great...
Old 02-15-2014, 12:58 PM
Alex

Quote:
I agree...the stories are great...
One of the things that I don't like about the set is that the cards do not contain information about the players.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 02-15-2014, 01:28 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Only Smoke 4 the Cards View Post
One of the things that I don't like about the set is that the cards do not contain information about the players.
Yeah, but instead we get these cigarette ads on the back for which we can pay outrageous amounts.

Tags
t206