NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-09-2006, 10:01 PM
Administrator

Default So I thought I'd 'google' myself on VBC Forum.............

Posted By: Enright, Daniel

And there I was! Flinchfree, but wait, not so nice turns out to be the chattering masses as I am quickly dissected.
Having bookmarked the site over a year ago but not spent any time perusing, I visited with the amusing idea of wondering if my exploits as a collector of sports cards had afforded me any thought or notoriety as ebay's flinchfree. And there I was, still an unknown but being mocked and belittled nonetheless, seriously challenged for my knowledge and understanding of trade cards, a regular Benny Hill of ephemera, ugh!
I refer to a thread from September 21st of 05', where my ebay handle of flichfree gets a mention for offering for sale a T213 Speaker with buy it now, for a universally condemned price that reduces me to the local village idiot.
(Read especially "Barrysloate")

Five years on ebay - for the first couple at least 6 hours a day, five years of reading every book on sports cards I could find, visiting every site that floats through the musty halls of the online world, buying and selling some 500+ pieces, setting up a sports auction dept. (sadly short lived) for Susanin's auction house in Chicago, amassing a reasonably special collection.......

And here I lie in print, inauspicously mentioned by the forum as not knowing enough about the relative value of cards to have blown to the crapper this auction and been fleeced to boot by one of the good lads of this community.

Well.
Won't try to explain it.
I'll just keep collecting, selling what doesn't fit, buying what does, and leave some lovely colored paper to the kids to do with as they wish with.

All the best to you all this eve,
Flinchfree

Old 03-09-2006, 10:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

That was very well written, I am no english major but that rocked.

Don't feel like your being singled many of the best of us have been berated and belittled on this board. Your last comment sums it up the best.

Good luck with your collecting,

Lee

Old 03-10-2006, 04:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

I was thinking the exact same thing as Lee. I can't speak to the point and purpose without going back to read the thread, but the delivery was a treat!

Joann

Old 03-10-2006, 05:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Keith O'Leary

What a way to start the day! What a read

I think we could use more of Daniel's thoughts on a variety of subjects around here. If you're reading this Daniel...please feel free to stop by periodically and comment. Maybe we could give you a weekly thread where you can just talk, I'll listen .

Now I gotta go back and read that thread. I hope you didn't delete that Network54 bookmark.

Old 03-10-2006, 06:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Daniel, I may be missing something in your post, but when you say "read especially Barrysloate" what is the context? Just curious. Thanks.

Old 03-10-2006, 06:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Let me help you out. This is all your wrote in that thread. No other inferences:

"Bob- terrific pick up at an absurdly low price. It makes me wonder why people even bother with BIN's when they really don't know the value of their card. If he simply let the auction run its course, he probably would have gotten a minimum of double what it went for. And I'm asleep by 10:30. That's life. But I'm the one who wakes the roosters up in the morning so they can get everyone else out of bed."

All you said was it was an absurdly low price and he could have gotten more if he waited. No harm there. Daniel writes very well and I hope he (Hi Daniel) joins us sometimes. Oh woe is not me though....the world won't end and if you come on a public chatboard there will be pluses and minuses. I doubt there are many conspiracies going on on the board.....Very well written first post though....I wish I could write that well....

Old 03-10-2006, 06:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: identify7

Hey, don't flinch.
That wasn't so bad.
When an eBay seller provides what he advertises (with no unwanted surprises), some think that he is entitled to a premium. You may be a fancy tailed goldfish, but eBay is a sewer, to many of us.

Old 03-10-2006, 06:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

But of all the posts I have made how did that very unimportant one end up in a search? I guess my question is more a computer one, that's all. I don't know how these things work. Never mind, I think I understand. He sold it, and I commented on the low price. At that time I owned several T213 so I was disappointed it did so poorly. I'm under control.

Old 03-10-2006, 10:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scot Reader

"I refer to a thread from September 21st of 05', where my ebay handle of flichfree gets a mention for offering for sale a T213 Speaker with buy it now, for a universally condemned price that reduces me to the local village idiot."

Great line. Truly inspired. Made my day.

Old 03-10-2006, 10:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ben

Hi Daniel, good to see a post from you here. Chances are you don't remember me, but I purchased a nice e94 lajoie from you not long ago (priced fairly I might add). 'Twas a first class transaction. Re: the T213 Speaker...everyone has their regrets. Priced to low, sold too early, shoulda kept this, shoulda sold that....all part of this great hobby of ours.

From one collector to another - welcome to the forum! Hope you continue posting here in the future.

Old 03-10-2006, 10:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave

If you use the N54 Search function, and look for flinchfree, you'll get two hits, today's post, and one from last Sepetmber. If you look at that , it is a response to one more post, which is this one:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/153652/message/1127320690/My+name+is+Tbob+and+I+am+a+Night+Owl

This is a collection of many posts regarding BIN and staying up late to catch a good one before others see it.

Maybe I'm hardened to the caustic N54 way of looking at everything vintage, but I don't think this registers on my flame meter.

Great post, though, let's get some more like it.

Old 03-10-2006, 11:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: identify7

Which is more prestigious, Net54 Village Idiot, or Dunderhead?

Old 03-11-2006, 12:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Dunderhead. I have a proven a track record

Jay

I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.