NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-19-2011, 07:46 AM
Doug C.

Default What is eBay's problem?

I'm not sure what's worse, the fact that eBay keeps letting these listings go where the seller won't guarantee the card is authentic or the people stupid enough to pay hundreds or thousands of dollars for these things. Even funnier someone posted a question asking if it was an original or a reprint and got the standard "card was acquired from Grandpa's attic" answer. Amazing how everyone's Grandpa always seems to collect T206 Wagners or 1952 Topps Mantles of unknown authenticity. http://cgi.ebay.com/1952-Topps-Micke...mZ140500220625
Old 01-19-2011, 07:50 AM
Robert Williams

Oh my! And he is a Top Rated Seller!! I guess that little rainbow badge means squat.....
Old 01-19-2011, 08:01 AM
Doug C.

Apparently the secret to making a fortune on eBay is just to list fake T206 Wagner and 1952 Topps Mantle cards that you don't guarantee to be authentic and people will still be dumb enough to bid...
Old 01-19-2011, 10:37 AM

No, the key to making a fortune on eBay is to list fake ANYTHING, sell it for what you can get while also OWNING eBay stock.

That way, you get the proceeds from the sale of fake items (which when done properly will have a HUGE profit margin) AND the price appreciation of eBay stock (since they wont kick the scam artists out and refer them to the proper authorities for prosecution).

David
Old 01-19-2011, 10:41 AM
Clayton

Default Gone

The listing has been removed ,,,,good job guys. Maybe one day they will actually figure it out.

Clayton
Old 01-19-2011, 10:59 AM
Doug C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teetwoohsix View Post
The listing has been removed ,,,,good job guys. Maybe one day they will actually figure it out.

Clayton
I reported the card right after I posted this so I guess it worked (unless it just gets listed again). Ebay needs some help with their item reporting forms. There is seriously a drop down menu for reporting the sale of human organs, but if you click on counterfeit item all you get are choices regarding bootleg DVDs or computer software. Apparently it's easier to report someone selling a human kidney than a fake baseball card...

Last edited by Doug; 01-19-2011 at 11:05 AM.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:19 PM

Default Fakes

GREAT JOB GUYS!!!

Peace

Johnny
Old 01-19-2011, 03:00 PM
Ke.n K0hen

Is there a drop-down menu item to report a counterfeit human kidney?
Old 01-19-2011, 04:15 PM
Jim VB

Doug,

I think this is the same card, back again!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=130477170164
Old 01-19-2011, 04:16 PM
Doug C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcohen View Post
Is there a drop-down menu item to report a counterfeit human kidney?
I'm serious. Under Prohibited items/Other prohibited items there is literally a menu choice that says "Human body parts". Apparently it doesn't do any good to report these things because no sooner than eBay pulled it, Grandpa's fake Mantle is right back up for sale again: http://cgi.ebay.com/1952-Topps-Micke...mZ130477170164
Old 01-19-2011, 04:25 PM
Doug C.

For what it's worth I went ahead and reported it again. I mentioned in the eBay comment box that they already pulled this card once today and I'm pretty sure it didn't get any less counterfeit since this morning. Given how eBay operates they will probably suspend my account for pointing out their lack of effectiveness.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:26 PM
Shinzo Shimozukawa
Banned

Last edited by shimozukawa; 02-16-2011 at 11:26 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:31 PM
Doug C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimozukawa View Post
"Counterfeits and copyright violations"
"Potential trademark infringement"
"Unauthorized or counterfeit trading cards"

It's there... just not in the most logical location.
Well here's another one so I'm getting my practice in. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=220714080611 There's so many of these damned things on eBay that they could hire me full time!
Old 01-19-2011, 04:50 PM
Ke.n K0hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
I'm serious. Under Prohibited items/Other prohibited items there is literally a menu choice that says "Human body parts". Apparently it doesn't do any good to report these things because no sooner than eBay pulled it, Grandpa's fake Mantle is right back up for sale again: http://cgi.ebay.com/1952-Topps-Micke...mZ130477170164
Doug,

My attempt at levity aside, I'm with you. I find the way the drop down menu funnels you into non applicable categories to be extremely frustrating.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:55 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default about 6 mos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimozukawa View Post
"Counterfeits and copyright violations"
"Potential trademark infringement"
"Unauthorized or counterfeit trading cards"

It's there... just not in the most logical location.

Also, you can report them to the DOJ or FBI:

http://www.cybercrime.gov/AppC-ReportingGuide.pdf

Counterfeit trading cards would constitute a violation of "Counterfeit Trademarks" and "Criminal Copyright Infringement" with the first carrying a $2mm penalty, and the latter requiring 10 instances of sale or production with a value of $2500 in a 180 day period.

Basically, you report them on the first one, then they say "but the trademark was on the original" and you have admission on the second one.
The FBI's internet crime division is somewhere in the neighborhood of 6 mos behind, or at least they were approximately a year ago. They also prioritize on a scale of value too. So, if someone is scamming with a $5 card, then a $1000 one would probably take precedence. The more effective way to do it would be to report it wherever the scammer lives, to their local authorities. I have been through this many times and that is probably the best way to do it. Also, if no one has actually been scammed then it is less of a crime, more likely a conspiracy to commit fraud, rather than fraud itself. I am not a lawyer or legal expert but have been through the process a few times. I doubt a full FBI investigation, with agents involved, would be started for less than a 6 figure issue. There are just so many bigger ones it just makes sense to go after them first. I am not making any definitive statements here, just relaying some past experiences. regards
Old 01-19-2011, 04:56 PM
Doug C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim VB View Post
Doug,

I reported it (again) and they pulled it (again), but I'm sure the guy will have it back and running in the next five minutes or so.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:57 PM
Ke.n K0hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Well here's another one so I'm getting my practice in. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=220714080611 There's so many of these damned things on eBay that they could hire me full time!
Here is a Q&A from this auction,

Q: hey the card looks great!!! A few questions before I bid.. Is it authentic? Where did you get it \? And why havent you authenticated it which would significantlly increase its value? Dec-23-10
A: hi my freind.this card is authentic,I show to one dealer i QUEENS NY, he offert me $2500 and he put it in this clear box as u see in photos. now, I made some research and this card may acceed the asking price. the card baught couple years ago along other card in flee market sheap.next stop authentification, thanks for advice.

Given that the seller is in Queens, it appears from the writing that he may a member of the Russian mafia in Brighton Beach. (I know it's in Brooklyn, but close enough.)
Old 01-19-2011, 05:04 PM
Doug C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcohen View Post
Here is a Q&A from this auction,

Q: hey the card looks great!!! A few questions before I bid.. Is it authentic? Where did you get it \? And why havent you authenticated it which would significantlly increase its value? Dec-23-10
A: hi my freind.this card is authentic,I show to one dealer i QUEENS NY, he offert me $2500 and he put it in this clear box as u see in photos. now, I made some research and this card may acceed the asking price. the card baught couple years ago along other card in flee market sheap.next stop authentification, thanks for advice.

Given that the seller is in Queens, it appears from the writing that he may a member of the Russian mafia in Brighton Beach. (I know it's in Brooklyn, but close enough.)
I wonder what "authentification" company he plans on using?
Old 01-19-2011, 06:34 PM
Doug C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim VB View Post
Doug,

He just listed it again for the third time today! http://cgi.ebay.com/1952-Topps-Micke...-/130477293376 This is ridiculous on eBay's part. They have already pulled the auction twice. I guess one of the perks of being a "top rated seller" is the ability to try and see how many times you can list the same counterfeit card in a day while they do nothing about it. Edited to add: eBay just took it down for the third time today, but unless they suspend the guy's account he's apparently not getting the hint and just going to keep listing it.

Last edited by Doug; 01-19-2011 at 06:45 PM.