NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

View Poll Results: Do you like these autograph reprints?
I like them 6 12.24%
I don't like them 40 81.63%
I don't care. 3 6.12%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-03-2013, 08:46 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Do you like these reprint autographs?

There are millions of reprint baseball cards. I don't see that many reprint autographs, at least being sold that way . Do you like or dislike...?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jimmie-Foxx-...item27ce85d02b

Last edited by Leon; 01-03-2013 at 08:50 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:03 AM
Brock

I think some of them are cool looking for not for the price he lists at.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:24 AM
John Smithwick

Soon to appear on a craigslist near you.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:03 PM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

At least he's up front that it's a replica. Personally I don't like them, I think it's dangerous to put stuff like this out in the market, eventually someone will try to pass it off as real.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:19 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgo71 View Post
At least he's up front that it's a replica. Personally I don't like them, I think it's dangerous to put stuff like this out in the market, eventually someone will try to pass it off as real.
That's the thing, HE is up front, but there's nothing that says the next guy whose hands it passes through will be. Unless he starts wrapping the back side of the balls with big red"replica" stamping, I won't "like" or even be indifferent to them. While these things may be obvious fakes in person, such things are rarely sold in person.

In my opinion, if you're making something intended to look old/original, go out of your way to make it look old/original, and do not mark it in some obvious way to indicate that it is NOT old/original, you are producing forgeries. The fact that you verbally call them replicas, or that your skill level is such that "anybody can tell they're not real" shouldn't get you a free pass.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
That's the thing, HE is up front, but there's nothing that says the next guy whose hands it passes through will be. Unless he starts wrapping the back side of the balls with big red"replica" stamping, I won't "like" or even be indifferent to them. While these things may be obvious fakes in person, such things are rarely sold in person.

In my opinion, if you're making something intended to look old/original, go out of your way to make it look old/original, and do not mark it in some obvious way to indicate that it is NOT old/original, you are producing forgeries. The fact that you verbally call them replicas, or that your skill level is such that "anybody can tell they're not real" shouldn't get you a free pass.
+1
Old 01-03-2013, 05:07 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:

++
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 01-03-2013, 07:00 PM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

Quote:

Exactly my point. We've all seen the horrendous fakes that people are willing to spend their hard-earned money on. I can't see why someone unaware of what they're buying wouldn't do the same with an item that is manufactured to look legit.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:51 PM

Not sure if I am adding anything new, but I agree that they are mostly a negative to the hobby only because there are just too many suckers out there and there are too many people looking to rip said suckers off. If the person making these truly wanted to have them be replicas, then an obvious stamp (that would be somewhat tamper proof) on the back or something should be no problem....most display cases will have the bottom and/or the back hidden anyway which would make it still serve the purpose of being a "nice display piece". Still means risky business for online purchases, but as someone mentioned, I would imagine most high end purchases are in person.

The idea on it's own is cool. I would love to have an exact replica of my 1927 Yankees ball done so I could display the fake (or replica if you want to call it that) and securely store the actual, but I wouldn't be tempted to try to sell the fake one as real so no one gets hurt.

The inherent problem is that this guy gets to get off scotch free saying, "I sold it as a replica", which is true, but looks away to the (likely?) fact that someone is going to try to make a quick chunk of change on a naive and unsuspecting collector. Maybe they deserve it for not doing the research, but in the end, its not good for anyone.

To me it would be like Person A selling what looks to be a perfectly nice 2010 Corvette to Person B for $2000 saying, "It looks great and everything makes sense, but it was in a flood, which is why I am selling it to you for a price so much drastically lower than what an undamaged 2010 Corvette would cost. Person A leaves happy because he has some money in his pocket for what was otherwise crap. Now Person B can sell to Person C who doesn't know much about cars saying, "look at the shape this is in, and I will unload it for under the market value if you buy it today". Person B has now made a big chunk of change unethically and Person C is left to eat the loss himself (heck, he could have checked the carfax right?), or he is left with the dilemma of doing the same thing to unsuspecting Person D so that he isn't the one that has to suffer the financial hardship.