NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-03-2008, 12:06 PM
Administrator

Default Alright....what are your collecting goals now?

Posted By: Jimi

As I sit here debating on whether to sell off a bunch of my collection (along with the possibility of my beloved T222 Fatimas) to buy land for my family for Christmas (though running quickly out of time), I am envious of you all who keep a stronghold of your collecting goals. I, for one, seem to change my goals nearly daily as I think of all the things I like to collect, yet don't have the money for. I lack patience and persistence, and it wouldn't hurt to hear from those in N54 Land who also struggle with this.

In actuality, I'd love to hear what your collecting goals are right now, or perhaps your #1 priority. For nearly a year (a long time for me), my top priority has been the Fatima set, and it very well may continue to be unless someone wants to be the set from me in order to fund this "Christmas stocking stuffer" idea I have. happy.gif Ha!

Alright, lay it on me.....what are your priorities?

Jimi

Always looking for T222 Fatimas!

Old 12-03-2008, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Adam

My collecting goals right now are to take my T206s (with an emphasis on the Southern Leaguers) that are graded PSA 1 and PSA 2 and upgrade them to PSA 3s and PSA 4s while prices are relatively "soft."

Email me if you have any PSA 3 or PSA 4 T206 Southern Leaguers to sell!

Old 12-03-2008, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Doug

Right now, I'm working on a T206 Basic HOF set in SGC 40-60. I'm about halfway done, so I hope I can get it finished soon. After that I will probably take a break for a while and try to replace the funds I've invested so far.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: steve

T206 major HOFers in PSA 6. Just got outbid on a Matty dk. dag nabbit! But not going higher.

steve

Old 12-03-2008, 12:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bryan Long

JIMI!!!!!!!!!
I am telling you once again to keep those darn T222 cards.You will miss those cards the second they are gone and you know it. Sell everything off if you want, but keep the set. Better idea. Give it to me to keep safe for you and when you finally get out of this slump you are in I will send it back to you at no charge happy.gif

Old 12-03-2008, 12:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

My goal is to be able to save up enough money for hotel, gas, etc,... to make it to the 2009 National in Cleveland.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:05 PM
Administrator

I hear ya, Alan. Thank goodness I only live about an hour and a half from the Cleveland National though!

Bryan,

Ah yes, yet another attempt to take my collection from under me. happy.gif Tell you what, since you haven't made a trip to my house in a long time, I'll let you look at the set for a little bit, then I'll even let you walk on the land that I want to buy. Cardboard or property? That is the question. I'm afraid I don't think I can have both....

Jimi

Old 12-03-2008, 01:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David R

Trying to finish my t206 basic HOF set in SGC 30-50. Only two to go -- Davis and Beckley. Feel free to contact me if you have one to sell.

David R

Old 12-03-2008, 01:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

-N172 Omaha players...I started in January and so far this year I've picked up 9 including Kid Nichols. Omaha is a tough team and I know there are two (Flynn and Doran) that I will never own, but it's fun and I've picked up more than I thought I would in this short time.

-Nebraska Indians postcards and cabinet photos...always looking for ones I don't have.

The only new goal I'm setting for 2009 is to find a nice Fan Craze card of Sam Crawford.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason

Putting all my resources and efforts into completing a T205 Basic Set.

About half way there.

Old 12-03-2008, 02:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

Completing my T206 Cubs team is now allowing me to shift towards cheaper post-war PSA registry endeavors

I am trying to re-examine the collection and its direction, I'll try to get a couple grading submissions together, and then hunker down and attack more research on my cousins' stories.

Old 12-03-2008, 02:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

Stadium/park/fields postcards, prefer those that have been used and stamped.

I just began this collection and find it exciting.

Steve

Old 12-03-2008, 02:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

Just pickier...

Gotta love some of the prices lately, though. I've been picking up stuff for bids I thought would never fly.

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Old 12-03-2008, 03:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

Major change afoot, and I'm really excited about it.

Goal is to get through finals and start setting up my collection of 25 Detroit players and 25 of any players - just cards I like. First step is deciding what to sell. I'll save my best/favorite Detroiters, and if it turns out to be 28 then oh well - not going to sweat it. Mainly I want to clear out a lot of commons and repeats within a set. Thanks to several on the board that mentioned, in another thread, if you are thinking of selling to keep the tougher cards. I probably will make that a strong consideration.

Then to start looking for cards I've always liked but might not be Detroiters. Matty's and an Oakes and maybe a few E93's that just look good, another N172 and maybe even an N162 - that kind of thing. I won't be able to buy as often b/c I plan to bump up a bit in the quality v quantity, but I am really looking forward to finding 25 great cards over the next few years.

And of course, always looking for cabs, photos and PC's of female players from that time period.

Joann

Old 12-03-2008, 04:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ricky Y

Still doing the typecard thing ( a less grand scale of Leon's collection - a mini Leon collection happy.gif)...but been all over the map in terms of the years..I have gotten several pre wars and post war stuff! happy.gif

Ricky

Old 12-03-2008, 04:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason Carota

My current collecting goals are more simple than ever, and I am enjoying it immensely. I recently decided to further narrow my collection to the Red Sox (as always happy.gif ) and piecing together as much of the T210 set as possible.

As for specific cards, the following are on my short list:

- Max Stein PC of Joe Wood
- M101-5 (or -4) Harry Hooper
- M116 Ed Karger

Old 12-03-2008, 04:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: ken McMillan

continue collecting e121 yankees and t207 cubs and Elmer Miller. Same as always.

kmac

Old 12-03-2008, 04:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimCrandell

Same as last 5 years--100 vintage/semi-vintage sets each card psa 8 or better. Currently at 75.

During 2009 in pre-war baseball would hope to complete 1941 Play Ball(3 upgrades needed) and 1939 Play Ball(10 needed) and move my 1934-36 Diamond Stars set closer to the finish line(14 cards needed).

All sets on PSA Set Registry--special finders fee for cards I need.

Old 12-03-2008, 04:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Martin Neal

I have been buying Sgc, mainly 40s and 50s (some 60s) T206s to try and finish the monster. Mainly commons left and some southern leaguers. I have a submission going soon that should put me around 85% complete. I want to finish it before they do a rebound.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

Like many others, Jimi - stay the course, only more carefully.

In relative priority ...

T206 Pirates F/B Master (115/~216?)
T207 various runs - Pirates, Recruits, Anonymous Recruits... Basic set w/variations ...
T205 Pirates (very low priority)

After that, any other pre-war Pirates that are interesting.

--
Mike

Old 12-03-2008, 07:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe

As I have posted before I collected everything at one time.

Right now just N172 and N173 and cabinets of Detroit players.

Collecting these you don't have to buy all the time. Just can't find them.

Joe

Ty Cobb, Spikes flying!

Old 12-03-2008, 07:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Darrell

Upgrading my E94 set ,,finishing my 52 num nums (done I think),, buying more Cleveland players from many eras in an SGC collection and pairing down all the stuff not in my cabinets already..

Old 12-03-2008, 07:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard

As of today, I am 1 card away from the 'completable' portion of my pre-1920 Toronto collection. I started November at 19/26, and have knocked 4 cards off my list since mid-November.

Now that I'm 1 card away (shameless plug: Anyone selling a C46 McGinley?), I've been giving a lot of thought to what comes next. I'm a set collector at heart, but haven't completed one since probably 2004. Right now I'm thinking about building either a pre-war set, or set or two from the 1950's, but I can't decide. I've considered doing both a pre-war set and a post-war set, and then I think how fun it'd be to put together a collection of 20 or 25 of my all-time favourites.

At this point, I'm GLAD I'm still 1 card away from completion, as it means I have that much more time before I have to make a decision wink.gif

Regards,

Richard.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Erick Lewin

Still looking for/ hoping to find the last D381's i need. Occasionally buying/looking for cheap Ruth cards (just made my biggest purchase ever actually on ebay 1933 goudey ruth red 149 SGC20), havn't gotten it yet though.

Now that I made such a big purchase (for me), I'm looking to tone it down now, though some prices have looked pretty tempting. Occasionally buying a lower grade 1915 cracker jack, diamond star common, or t206 Yankee/highlander. Also been rediscovering the autograph collecting hobby over the past few months. Recently acquired a Mantle JSA, DiMaggio JSA, Y. Berra Steiner, and W. Mays PSA Balls plus a few random old timers on index cards.

I'm thinking of selling a few things soon to give me cash for future purchases; but i feel as though I might not get as much for them right now. Still undecided but am definatley looking to slow down the buying pace and be more selective.

E. Lewin

Old 12-03-2008, 08:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jantz

I'm slowly plugging away on my T206 set. I started a little over a year ago

& have about 100 cards now. It sounds like I'm going at a good pace, but I

have only acquired one HOFer so far. I know the HOFers will slow my pace

even more, but I love the challenge that this set presents.

Jimi - Take a loan for the land or sell off something else, but don't sell

your T222s. You'll regret it long after you have acquired the land.

Jantz

Old 12-03-2008, 09:25 PM
Administrator

Yeah, I might regret it, but I think in the long run this would be a great opportunity to get a piece of land that my family can enjoy for years to come, it's also an investment, and it prevents some yahoo from building next to me. happy.gif I believe I may have struck a couple of deals to help me out, but I need about $6k to finish this off. And, I believe I have that in my remaining stack of Fatimas, T206s, Diamond Stars, e90-1s, amongst a few other things. This will be a big chunk of the collection gone, but well worth it, plus I'll be holding onto about 6 Fatimas that would be crucial to rebuilding the set (hey, I can't give up on it completely!) happy.gif

Now, if I can just find someone to help finish this off for me....

Jimi

Old 12-03-2008, 09:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MVSNYC

"slow and steady wins the race" for me these days...i've sold almost all of my cards in an effort to streamline...refocusing on Game-Used Bats and select Yankees pieces (Ruth Check, Original Yankee's Seat, etc)...

i hope, over the next few months to slowly add to my bat collection, and also add a nice Gehrig auto to my arsenal...a new Shoeless Joe item wouldn't hurt either wink.gif

Old 12-03-2008, 10:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barry arnold

I'm still holding tightly to my T206s and looking in awe at them at least
a couple of times a week.
Surreptitiously--to avoid any maneuvers by the MONSTER-- I am doing some 'type' collecting and adding to my collection of T206 'era' cigarette packs and games.
I have to tell you that I really do enjoy my cardboard more than my pieces of land, even those overlooking the bay. I do understand your arguments, however, regarding the
need for privacy and family legacy.
My wife says that if I had 520 pieces of land to match my T206s then
I might have a more sensible answer. happy.gif

best,

barry

Old 12-04-2008, 04:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: peter ullman

I'm adding some types that have eluded me over the years...picking up relative bargains when I can...paying premium prices for type I coupons as before long they will be accepted as T206 backs...at which time many many collectors will "need" one!

I've contemplated selling off my collection for land in the tropics...or in another country...I'd do it in a second if the situation were right!!!!!

Old 12-04-2008, 05:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris Diaz

After I complete the T206 Hall of Fame set, minus Wagner and Plank, I'd like to acquire cards of Ruth, DiMaggio, Gehrig, Wagner and Plank.