NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-17-2017, 08:37 AM
Jay Shelton

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
I agree with you because I am strictly a collector and baseball cards are just a hobby for me. If I was primarily a seller or even a collector/seller, or used baseball cards as an investment, grading would a fact of life
I totally agree with the OP and this quote. Baseball cards have always been a hobby for me and never an investment. I see over and over on the forum the term "buy the card, not the holder" (my paraphrase), but when you buy a graded card, you DO buy the holder. If you have two identical pre-war cards, and one is in a holder, you are going to pay more for the graded card. I've never seen (at least on this forum) an exception to that.

I do understand the argument of having grading to cut down on the proliferation of counterfeits, peace of mind for the purchaser, etc. But it seems to me (in my opinion) that the only ones getting rich from graded and encapsulated cards are the companies that perform the service. Plus, there is still a lot of counterfeit cards, trimmed cards, etc. according to many more knowledgeable than me on this forum, and they still get graded....

I have been collecting for 42 years and own zero graded cards. I have purchased 2 graded cards in the past, two 1967 Japanese Kabaya-Leaf cards, only because 99% of the K-L cards are graded, and I quickly broke them out of the plastic and threw the plastic and PSA info in the trash. All my cards are in Ultra Pro platinum sheets, and I enjoy looking through my collection that way. Is my collection valuable? No, but then, I've never had the disposable income to afford the valuable cards, but hey, that's okay. Baseball cards are for kids, whether 7 or 70....
Old 10-17-2017, 11:42 AM
Steve Birmingham

I have both, for a lot of what I collect grading simply isn't practical. But over the years I've picked up a few nicer cards that I've sent in, and a handful that I've bought graded. Usually because they were good deals either way, or looked a lot nicer than the grade, or even a couple that were issued graded.

I don't really get the hate for grading, it's a tool like any other. Other hobbies have done it for longer, and nearly all have some system for either grading or authentication. Some have had at least authentication since the 1860's.

I don't see much need to grade cards with obvious problems, unless the confidence that it's what it appears to be has value. So I have graded a few that are in lesser condition.

It's fine to try to retain the "purity" of being just a collector, but somewhere along the line you or a family member will become a seller.
And I haven't met many collectors who largely ignore condition when buying.

Yes, grading has made cards a bit of a commodity, and that has raised prices since some people who don't want to spend the time or effort to do their own authenticating and grading can now spend a bit more comfortably.
But that same rise in prices has made more cards available for all of us, and it could be argued that the concentration on the top grades has actually lowered or restrained prices for those of us that collect mid grade or less.

Steve B
Old 10-17-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayworld View Post
I do understand the argument of having grading to cut down on the proliferation of counterfeits, peace of mind for the purchaser, etc.
This and...

I remember going to a card shop in 1989 with my friend to sell his Montana rookie. The shop owner smelled my friend needed the money so he helped him out taking that "below average, low grade, no one will ever buy this" Montana off his hands. Doing him a favor you know. Of course the next time we went in, there it was, with a MINT sticker on it.

Last edited by silvor; 10-17-2017 at 01:17 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:50 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvor View Post
This and...

I remember going to a card shop in 1989 when my friend to sell his Montana rookie. The shop owner smelled my friend needed the money so he helped him out taking that "below average, low grade, no one will ever buy this" Montana off his hands. Doing him a favor you know. Of course the next time we went in, there it was, with a MINT sticker on it.

Those same slimebuckets ripped off my grandmothers coin collection. Acted like they were doing her a favor by giving her anything. Meanwhile they ripped her off to the tune of $15,000.