NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-08-2023, 06:38 PM
Ray Bumgardner

Default The National --Saturday or Sunday

Hi all,

I've never been to The National, but was thinking of going this year. I'm close enough to make it a day trip. Not sure if I should do Saturday or Sunday. Not looking to go on a spending spree, but wouldn't mind picking up a couple vintage additions. Autographs are not a factor. I do want to see the spectacle it is. Some assumptions I've made:

--Saturday is the busiest day
--Sunday may be "bargain" day, with dealers maybe cutting some prices, especially if sales are down. "Bargain" being subjective of course.
--Dealers packing up and leaving Sunday before close.

What are the pros/cons of each day? Just looking for opinions from The National old hands.

Thanks in advance.
-Ray
Old 07-08-2023, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbieMoran View Post
What are the pros/cons of each day? Just looking for opinions from The National old hands.
With the vintage market the way it is, it might be difficult to predict that there would be significant discounting on Sunday. And the selection will be more limited. I tend to like Fridays and Saturdays. I like the hustle and bustle around the corporate booths and other activities that might be going on during the day, along with the people-watching!
Old 07-08-2023, 07:04 PM
Ma-rc Alph0ns0

You should attend on Saturday. Busier but you'll get the full experience. Sunday can be depressing with dealers leaving earlier (although SOME may give slightly better prices) but you would be missing out on cards that you were looking for because of those dealers splitting early.

Last edited by Foo3112; 07-08-2023 at 07:04 PM.
Old 07-08-2023, 07:53 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Lot of folks starting packing on Sunday. Can be empty tables which sucks.
Old 07-08-2023, 07:54 PM

Go on Saturday -- Some dealers will have packed up on late Saturday and come in early to move out. But that is the minority practice. I start packing my display by 3 P.M. or so on Sunday but keep the display partially intact until 5 P.M. I consider it my responsibility to stay open until 5 P. M. on Sunday. Some dealers are not as considerate.
Old 07-08-2023, 08:04 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Another vote for Saturday

This is anything but a typical weekend card show - and it is HUGE - give yourself the maximum amount of time to see what you can in a day by going on Saturday.

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.
Old 07-10-2023, 07:23 AM
Rich Klein

With the conditions you are asking about, Saturday is the only choice.

The front part of the room, where many vintage dealers reside, has in the past few years been a sea of partially occupied tables on Sunday. One reason is by Sunday, frankly most people just want to start home as in many cases they have been there since Monday and the old days of being able to just be there Thursday-Sunday as it was back then is no longer possible.

Something which has slipped under the radar so far is beginning next year the new promoters are going to try to enforce a rule that dealers can't really start packing up until 3 PM on Sunday. If that rule does take effect and stays, then your choice is more balanced but for this year, it's Saturday.

Rich
Old 07-10-2023, 07:40 AM

Too much has sold by even Saturday. If your schedule permits, attend on the earliest possible day you can. The sooner, the better.
Old 07-10-2023, 08:02 AM
Johnny MaZilli

I would bet most higher end graded vintage cards will not be sold there will be a lot of inflated numbers, based off auction numbers of which many I do not believe are true values on said cards. The graded is not selling, many paid way to much. Collectors will be showing comps dealers will be showing comps both will say I don't go buy PWCC or Heritage's numbers. The Raw vintage cards specifically lower grade vintage will be bought, sold, and traded in abundance. High end vintage will be on display by the Major Auction Houses, most of the good stuff goes to them for sale or vaults. The is just the way it is in 2023.

Last edited by Johnny630; 07-10-2023 at 08:06 AM.