NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-31-2003, 11:26 PM
Administrator

Default Honest Dealers

Posted By: Charlie

Back around the time PSA was just starting out I used to buy Raw NM -MT and Mint commons from the 60's. I liked the look of the crisp pack-fresh cards and it brought memories back of my childhood when I used to open up the packs at the local candy store...and of course they were affordable. I have to say of all the dealers I dealt with out of SCD one stood out way above the rest. It's Tony Craig from T.C. card company. When a card was listed NM-MT that's exactly what it was. If anything the card was better than he said. If we all can list a dealer we had a good experience with maybe we can do something good for the real men out there who have some integrity and give them our business.

Old 11-01-2003, 10:24 AM
Administrator

Default Honest Dealers

Posted By: Aaron Michiel

1951 Bowman Jets, Rockets and Spacemen cards from Barry Sloate (whom I've seen post here and who seems to have an excellent reputation) on E-Bay and both transactions were flawless.

Great communication, fast delivery (he did not wait for funds from PayPal to clear to ship), quick positive feedback (he did not wait for me to leave positive for him) and the cards were very well packed and arrived in (at least what I considered to be) better than listed condition. I was very impressed and would love to purchase from him again.

On the vintage sports front, I had great experiences recently with Hunt Auctions (as usual--I think they are the best major auction house) and American Memorabilia (first time I won an item from them and would not hesitate to bid again).

Old 11-01-2003, 02:28 PM
Administrator

Default Honest Dealers

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

I've bought from Tony Craig on and off ebay for the past couple of years and I can tell you that the guy is totally honest and his cards are superb. He's also a really nice guy.

Old 11-02-2003, 12:48 AM
Administrator

Default Honest Dealers

Posted By: Lee Behrens

I find it somewhat curious that only one person responded to this thread. I think part of the reason is that we do not want to leave anyone off the "honest" list. It is easier to come up with the "bad" dealers because there is a much lower number of those pieces of sh**.

I personally have dealt with a number of board members all to satisfaction.

Feedback a ebay sellers is a easy way to make a decision about a seller on ebay. I do want to give a thumbs up to Dolloff, I recently purchased 9 cards from them thru there catalog with there grades attached. I received my cards this week and was very pleased with the whole lot. There grading seemed very fair.

that said if anyone is worried about a seller feel free to post, you always seem to get a response from someone on the board.

By the Way, David Festberg Sucks

Lee

Old 11-02-2003, 08:15 AM
Administrator

Default Honest Dealers

Posted By: leonl

hmmmm....easy to name some good guys.....

Floridamoment- Henry Moses
Scott Brockelman
(both have happily taken returns on old sales)

Terry Knouse- extends credit and says "take the cards now"....unlike at least one untrusting board member

Dan Mckee- almost always pleasant to deal with(this was his ebay feedback to me so figured I will get even )...and his Dad is a great guy ....(always)

Scott Gaynor- friendly, knowledgeable, and has great assortments of stuff....

Larry Fritsch- yes Larry....the several times I have bought stuff from his catalogue I have told them that the return rate is about 40%...and they are ok with it....they just can't/won't describe a card on the phone...and their grades are usually a grade or two off...but they do take returns cheefully....

There are many, many more. I am sure I left out plenty that I have had great experiences with. Most of these folks listed are only part time dealers but certainly great for the hobby. I should also mention that most all of the auction houses are normally good to deal with...regards all

Old 11-02-2003, 08:24 AM
Administrator

Default Honest Dealers

Posted By: runscott

Don't forget these guys:

Bob McCann
Jon Richmond
John Spencer
John Bilingsley

As Leon said, most of the major auctions are fine.

Old 11-02-2003, 08:48 AM
Administrator

Default Honest Dealers

Posted By: Julie

As I'm sure is true of all of you, some of the dealers already mentioned are ALMOST always reliable, but there may be like ONE exception in his/her dealings with you that would keep you from putting him/her on your list.

Absolutely squeeky clean are all the members of this board I've dealt with: Scott, Trevor, Brian Hodes, Jay
Miller (great cards, and boy, does he soak you for them!), MW, Andy, and anyone else I've dealt with on this board. BCD sent me a--never mind how cheap it was!--the black light was GREAT.

Two of my favoirite pieces of memorabilia come from leland's whom I wouldn't trust further than I could throw them, Verkmen , ditto throwing, provided me with a gorgeous E101-2 of Jackson, and Mastro numerous things. So, even the sometimes bad guys come through sometimes!

Old 11-02-2003, 12:13 PM
Administrator

Default Honest Dealers

Posted By: jay behrens

Hey BcD, Julie made it thru a whole post about dealers without mentioning Mark Macrae

Macrae is definately one of the good guys out there. And if you are into PCL stuff, he is THE source for cards and other info.

Jay

Old 11-02-2003, 05:01 PM
Administrator

Default Honest Dealers

Posted By: Julie Vognar

How could I leave David Rudd off my list? But of course, Mark Macrae too.

Old 11-02-2003, 05:03 PM
Administrator

Default Honest Dealers

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Old 11-03-2003, 05:42 AM
Administrator

Default Honest Dealers

Posted By: warshawlaw

great guy, extremely scrupulous, great eye.

Old 11-03-2003, 06:20 PM
Administrator

Default Honest Dealers

Posted By: Brian C Daniels

You were paid like two and a half weeks ago! Did you send them to a reservation in Taos New Mexico ???

Old 11-03-2003, 06:24 PM
Administrator

Default Honest Dealers

Posted By: Chris

I second that on John Billingsley. Bought a card from that turned out trimmed, which he did not know (got it from Mastro), and was quick to offer a refund or a significant discount if I still wanted the card. I know we would expect this from any dealer, but to be honest it seems to be the exception. In any event just wanted to highlight what a good guy he is and would HIGHLY recommend John. Also, Bhodes as well and Bill at Goodwinandco.

Old 11-04-2003, 12:18 AM
Administrator

Default Honest Dealers

Posted By: jay behrens

I sent them via Pony Express :p

Jay

Old 11-04-2003, 06:33 AM
Administrator

Default Honest Dealers

Posted By: Jay Miller

I guess that I'm not a big fan of dealers who I have to return cards to. The only reason that I would return cards is because they were misdescribed so having to return something says something about how accurately they describe their stuff. I highly recommend Mark McCrae, Rob Lifson, Barry Sloate(no relation to Morgan of Stephen King fame), the Burks, Clay at Sportscards Plus, Wayne at Shoebox Cards, and Sandiegowill on Ebay.

Old 11-04-2003, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Default Honest Dealers

Posted By: Hankron

The rule of thumb is that you find out about a seller when something goes wrong (e.g. how it is handled), more than when something goes right.

For a seller, it's return customers and reputation where the longterm money is to be made, not in squeezing the last nickel out of a single sale.

Old 11-04-2003, 12:18 PM
Administrator

Default Honest Dealers

Posted By: Hankron

The following are what I want/expect from people I regularly buy from:

1) Authenticity

2) Strong understanding of what they are selling. The quality of the item in context to others in the genre, historical context, etc. This is usually expressed in the description of the item or, otherwise, upon communication with the seller. For example, if the seller says this is a rare example of X, you don't want to find out a month later that there are tons of them around.

3) Accuracy of physical condition. Not just condition, but general appearance (I'm not a condition freak). If the image is said to by crystal clear I want it to be crystal clear. If it's supposed to have brilliant colors I want brilliant colors. I bid on that crystal clear image and brilliant colors, and I want 'em. If the seller says there's a crease or the image is off, don't worry I will be expecting a crease and an off image.

4) Honesty and sincerity.

5) Getting the item and a bit of friendliness. I'm less worried about time or shipping cost, as long as I know I will get it well packaged.

In short, for a good seller, what the seller says it is is what the buyer gets. There are a number of sellers who fit the bill, both big auction houses and individual collectors, and these are the people I will buy from.

Old 11-04-2003, 01:16 PM
Administrator

Default Honest Dealers

Posted By: Mike (18colt)

There are many of them out there, but 2 come to mind immediately:

* David Bryan (davidbvintage)
* Vivian Barning

Those of you on the board that I know or have done business with are excellent as well. Very few negative dealings for me. As with everyone else, I know I left people out.

Old 11-04-2003, 07:36 PM
Administrator

Default Honest Dealers

Posted By: runscott

He has a requirement in his auctions that you email him in advance if your feedback is under 25. I screwed up and won a card from him with a "low feedback" i.d. Hope he lets me have it.

Old 11-04-2003, 07:51 PM
Administrator

Default Honest Dealers

Posted By: George

JON CANFIELD

Old 11-06-2003, 02:27 PM
Administrator

Default Honest Dealers

Posted By: Jeff M.

Greg Schwartz (Botn)
Always fast to ship and nice selection of cards.

Old 11-06-2003, 05:02 PM
Administrator

Default Honest Dealers

Posted By: Anonymous

Black Label must work