NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-17-2004, 10:04 PM
Administrator

Default At last an honest grader!

Posted By: tbob

Diogenes would be proud. "Extra Poor" just about covers it
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31719&item=5110005575&rd=1

Old 07-17-2004, 10:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gary B.

as much as i would LOVE to own a low grade t206 cobb, there's low grade, and there's "so low grade it's not even really a card anymore." i'd maybe pay $1 for it, but not $10. very funny offering actually...

btw, this is a REPRINT (just kidding)

Old 07-17-2004, 10:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Morrie

..."combined shipping."

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

So, what's the over-under on this one?

Morrie, who'd almost be tempted at $10, and who would likely take it, mount it on black felt, and hang it in his office...

Old 07-17-2004, 11:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Old 07-18-2004, 01:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

It fits my criteria perfectly for cards I am looking for, but I can't bring myself to pay $10 for it. Would definately be conversation piece, lol.

Jay

Old 07-18-2004, 08:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

Yes Jay, it would be a conversation piece.

But if you bought it the conversation would start off with, "Did you see what Jay wasted $10 on?"

Old 07-18-2004, 09:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Pcelli60

The card (?) is trash. But take note, 3.00 shipping , classic eBay!!! I suppose the seller is even considering the Polar Bear back!!!

Old 07-18-2004, 11:36 AM
Administrator

the card would go quite well with my $16 Johnson portrait

Jay

Old 07-18-2004, 12:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: hankron

When you seriously wonder whether the $9.99 min bid is too steep for a T206 Cobb, the card is in rough shape.

I agree with the comment about the high shipping charge. If sent throug the USPS system in a normal paper envelope with a 37cent stamp, the card might arrive in improved condition.

Old 07-18-2004, 07:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

I just got popped for $2.50 for shipping for a card in a toploader stuck into an envelope with a $0.37 stamp. Pretty chintzy.

Old 07-18-2004, 08:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul M

now somebody please outbid me !!!

Old 07-19-2004, 01:09 AM
Administrator

Now you ruined my dreams of making him an offer after the auction closed without a bid. I really wanted that to go with my Johnson. Oh well, there other low grade cards out there for me.

Jay

Old 07-19-2004, 09:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ray

I wrote to you guys last August I believe, about starting a low grade T206 collection. I'm up to about 30-35 cards now. My funds are limited, I'm a teacher.. nuff said! Anyways, I have two questions..

1. I actually saw this as an opportunity to get a genuine Cobb card for little or no money. I know I'd be able to get a better example years from now, but I figured it would be cool to say I own a Cobb now (or at least part of one!). Is it worth putting a bid in, or do you guys think this is really worthless?

2. What grading companies, if any, would actually grade it? LOL!!!

Thanks again for all your help... Even though I don't post, I'm a regular visitor. Oh, and I forget which Behrens it is, but thanks for the Chase AB back.

Best regards,
Ray (NJ)

Old 07-19-2004, 10:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Morrie

Ray,

Looks like a Pro 5 to me...

<more serious answer>
I'm pretty sure that's not gradeable by anyone legit.
</serious>

Send me an email. Ignore the compuserve address. Send it to my name (morrie) at gmail-dot-com. I'm a fellow teacher, fellow lover of low-grade t206's, and I have some extras that aren't doing me a lick of good.

Morrie

Old 07-20-2004, 02:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason Smith

Hey, I'm a teacher too and collect the T206 exclusively. But VG-EX is as low as I usually like to go. This Cobb "card" is at the same time repulsive and fascinating. What would it go for if it were a Wagner or Plank?
Jason

Old 07-20-2004, 02:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: andy becker

goes for about 7,000. there was a half wagner in mastro not too long ago, if i remember correctly. i think it went for about 7 grand plus the 15% juice. perhaps a restoration person could get the cobb back to a full card?

Old 07-21-2004, 08:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Assuming that this card is not a reprint, it does not matter whether you are a collector or an investor (well, in my opinion, that is).

Certainly an investor will appreciate the minimal downside for this card, and a collector can pick up a card proven by its appearance to be the source of much enjoyment, and respect.

About a year ago I saw a Goudey Ruth in just slightly better condition, particularly the bottom piece, sell for about $50 on eBay. I wonder what the hammer price will be on this beauty.

I wonder whether I will bid. I doubt it.

Old 07-21-2004, 05:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dennis

Hello everyone. I'm a longtime lurker and now new poster. I had never heard of the 1/2 Wagner on Mastro until today while reading this post, but coincidently enough, I have an interesting twist to the story. I was on vacation in a small town in the mountains of Virginia (Pound, VA to be exact) this past week. Couldn't resist hitting the local antique shop in search of pre-war cards (what else?). Came up dry but while talking to the owner, A very nice older lady, she informed me that several years ago she bought an old trunck with 1/2 a Wagner card glued/taped to the underside lid at a yard sale. She didn't know what it was until later on when the card started getting so much press. Anyway, she ended up selling the trunk, with the 1/2 Wagner, for $200. Don't know if it's the same piece or possibly the missing other half, or just another chunk of a Wagner.