NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-09-2004, 05:57 PM
Administrator

Default Any News from Orlando?

Posted By: Donald Johnson

Anyone down there or have any reports on the show?

Old 01-09-2004, 08:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter Thomas

My son and I are going to the show have not been to one since St. Louis National. Don't know what too expect, but its only 2 hours from here will report.

Old 01-12-2004, 07:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter Thomas

We got back from show last night - no need to stay for last day. Show was short on vintage material almost no ungraded material. This was the first "super show" and I'm not sure if there will be a second. Auction houses were there, as well as PSA, GAI and Beckett; but no SGC even though they were listed as confirmed and I needed some boxes.

I wish I had looked to see who was signing autographs, I could have brought my 57 Topps and 61 Fleer basketball and got half of the Celtics. I tried to find any of these cards at the show, but there was not a single one. Al Kaline was there and after talking with PSA about some grading and holder issues my son asked Joe Orlando about geting a Kaline auto on a 54 Topps that was in a holder. Joe said that they would crack it open so it could be autographed and then reholder and certify it for $25, which they did with a very nice 5 we bought from 707 sportscards - thanks Levi. This was a very nice service.

I had heard that Joe Orlando was working hard on many of the PSA problems that many on the board complain about. After meeting and talking with him at the show I am convinced that he is and will make progress. The issues that I had most concern with were grading inconsistancies around centering and marks, floating cards and "authentic cards. I had 2 Ramlys O/C's that I was sure should not be and after talking with Joe and graders, reviewing the cards all agreed that they should not be. Scott B that means I have an upgrade Knight along with Ganley coming your way. When you have a chance to take your Plank to a show where they are grading you should have no trouble getting it into a 7 holder. Bring the numbers that I sent you. Scott the E107 Dougherty I got from you is in a 2 holder and looks great. I brought 30 ramly dups that were in floating holders and all but 2 are now in snug holders and look great, the other two are oversized, but are in holders just a bit too big and look ok - no charge for this. I brought and bunch of autographed 40 Playballs including Williams, DiMaggio, Stengel and Gehringer and got them graded and certified for $25 each some graded as high as 7 and some were labled authentic - very nice service. I sent in from the show 65 E cards for grading/authentication. Joe says that they will make every effort possible to get them back in snug holders. We will see how that goes, these are @ $10 per card. I think I will only submitt cards @ shows for safety from now on - you get a signed reciept for the cards. I guess that will mean going to two shows each year; The National and one other, based on suggestions at this show maybe rotate Ft Washington, Boston and San Fran - any thoughts?

Oh yes the cards - the Kaline for Auto, a very nice E97 Sullivan Boston that I got graded PSA 4 on site, a T201 Speaker SGC 84, a 48 Leaf Paige PSA 4, 2 Boston CJ 6&7, T206 Smith Chicago/Boston PSA 2, and a couple of 48 Leaf SP upgrades.

Regards from Florida where it was 39 this morning.

Old 01-13-2004, 12:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay Miller

Peter--Sounds like you had a great show. My experience with PSA is that if you see any inconsistencies in their grades they will rectify these (or explain the problem) at a show where they do on-site grading. I have always found them to be very helpful in this regard.
Just for your info, at the next Ft Washington show(March) PSA will not do on-site grading. They apparently will only do this at two of the four Philadelphia shows each year.