NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 11-05-2013, 02:56 PM
Patrick N.

Default I don't want PSA to introduce tamper-proof holder because....

I like the option of cracking out cards for my raw sets, one reason I never consider buying BVG cards. I'm guessing PSA never wanted tamper-proof cases as it would turn off raw collectors like myself...

Last edited by mintacular; 11-05-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:20 PM
Al Richter

Default Tamper proof

Not sure what would make a holder tamper proof. I use a bolt cutter to free cards. It does not tamper
Old 11-05-2013, 05:15 PM
Michael S

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintacular View Post
I like the option of cracking out cards for my raw sets, one reason I never consider buying BVG cards.
I crack BVG's. I just make sure I wear my safety goggles.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:32 PM
Jason Albregts

I've cracked several. Not too tough with a flat head and a hammer used carefully.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:39 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Along with a friend of mine, I have become an equal opportunity cracker-outer.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:18 AM
Steve

Following up on Al's comment, is there some rumbling within the grading industry to make holders tamper-proof? What would that involve - an encasement so tight that the card might be damaged by attempts to open the case?
Old 11-08-2013, 08:29 AM

Forget tamper proof. There's no such thing and anyways, the cases already are...you can't crack and reseal without the telltale frosting.

What they REALLY NEED is a counterfeit resistant label insert. Because right now it is SO easy to just lift an authentic label from, say, Heritage Auctions, do a little photoshop maagic and hey presto, you've got a seemingly authentic label with a real ID paired with a bogus '52 Mantle.

There needs to be a hologram or something, much like what PCGS uses on their coin inserts.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:14 PM
Patrick N.

Default Example

Here is an example, yes the card is a "6" but I would've only bought it to crack out for my raw set, had it been in a BVG holder or the new proposed PSA tamper-proof one, I wouldn't have been a buyer...

Old 11-08-2013, 06:36 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Great Podres!
Old 11-09-2013, 07:42 AM
Steve

Talking Do you want a card, or a piece of valuable plastic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianruns10 View Post
Forget tamper proof. There's no such thing and anyways, the cases already are...you can't crack and reseal without the telltale frosting.

What they REALLY NEED is a counterfeit resistant label insert. Because right now it is SO easy to just lift an authentic label from, say, Heritage Auctions, do a little photoshop maagic and hey presto, you've got a seemingly authentic label with a real ID paired with a bogus '52 Mantle.

There needs to be a hologram or something, much like what PCGS uses on their coin inserts.
What I was wondering about after reading the first posts, was if there have been ideas floated about plasticizing cards in such a way that any attempt to free them would result in heavy damage to the card itself? No offense, but who gives a flying blank about a damaged holder, except maybe fraudsters - or grading companies looking to discourage them.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:17 AM
Arthur R!ch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianruns10 View Post
Not true. Some people found a way to crack out cards without the frosting. There was a big to-do over on Blowout forum about it. The people doing it were only focusing on certain cards but they were then taking them to B/S/T forums and trying to sell them. Many were sold privately or through ebay.

I believe this was the impetus for PSA to come up with a better holder.

Successful transactions with Burger King, Amazon, Great Cuts, Tacos Villa Corona, TJ Maxx
Old 11-09-2013, 10:23 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volod View Post
What I was wondering about after reading the first posts, was if there have been ideas floated about plasticizing cards in such a way that any attempt to free them would result in heavy damage to the card itself? No offense, but who gives a flying blank about a damaged holder, except maybe fraudsters - or grading companies looking to discourage them.
I started wondering the same thing. If this does happen, there will be a segment of collectors who won't buy cards in the new style holders. I know there are others here who maintain ungraded collections and sometimes crack out cards. Such collectors will be targeting current and older graded slabs. Probably won't be enough to influence the grading companies or the prices of graded cards, but it might diminish the supply of cards available to ungraded card collectors.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:05 PM
Steve Birmingham

There isn't a holder that can't be cracked. I haven't had a reason to, but If I had to get a card out of a Beckett holder I'd just take it out to the tablesaw. I can't imagine the new PSA holder would be any tougher.
Maybe I should start a "deslabbing" service?

Back before pages and other holders were common, some people would get their cards laminated. Basically a clear plastic sheet melted around and onto the card. If you were lucky it wasn't done "right" and didn't stick to the card. If not there's no easy way to get it off without horrible damage. Like peeling the card in half horrible. or worse. A bad idea all around.

There's plenty of ways to make a holder tamper evident without risking damage to the card. I'm assuming the point would be to ruin the slab and /or flip, so the card couldn't be swapped for a lower grade or reprint.

Steve B
Old 11-19-2013, 12:22 PM
N.ate A.dams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatles Guy View Post
I've cracked several. Not too tough with a flat head and a hammer used carefully.

This is correct!

Also, if you have any type of workbench, chisel out a 1/2 inch deep slot to hold the card into...not too wide of course, but it works like a charm. I have a little "cracking station" in my garage with a mini flathead and and hammer all ready to go.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:42 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintacular View Post
I like the option of cracking out cards for my raw sets, one reason I never consider buying BVG cards. I'm guessing PSA never wanted tamper-proof cases as it would turn off raw collectors like myself...
Laughing out loud.

So, you're saying that the people who get paid for their opinions not only care about collectors, but specifically care about collectors who do not pay people for their opinions?

I would have to respectfully disagree.

The only reason that any of the paid for their opinion folks care one way or the other is if it means that people will "resubmit", and pay again.

Doug

Last edited by doug.goodman; 11-20-2013 at 07:00 PM.