NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 11-02-2013, 08:10 PM

Default Mathewson signed baseball

I wanted to share some information about a Christy Mathewson signed ball that is out there.
In 2012, I purchased 2 early baseballs from a net54 member on the BST page. They included an early Spalding ball and a Goldsmith New York Club baseball. I sold the Spalding ball to another net54 member and sold the Goldsmith ball out of my antique shop booth last year. A couple of days ago, I received an email from someone (who apparently has been looking for a Christy ball) who was shown a signed Christy Mathewson baseball on a Goldsmith New York Club ball. The recipient of the email found an image of my ball online, and realized the staining on the balls were remarkably similar. He was emailing me to ask if the ball I had in the past was signed by Mathewson, and I assured him that it absolutely wasn't, and that I have never owned a Mathewson signature. I don't think he thought the signature looked good anyway, but he was relieved to hear my confirmation. I am posting photos of the ball when I had it, and of the images this gentleman sent me of the Mathewson signature ball. As you can see both balls have the same stain and marks on the front. The 2 images are the only ones I have of the ball from the time when I owned it, as I mainly was taking photos of the maker marks on the ball, but some of the Mathewson signature would have been visible on the image of the Goldsmith mark. I will leave it up to readers of this post to decide if they are the same ball, but I believe they are. Because the item sold in my antique shop, I do not know who the buyer was - I receive no buyer information on my sales reports. Also, the person who emailed me did not divulge any information about the person who contacted them.

The Goldsmith ball wasn't an especially valuable ball, but to be ruined in an attempt to deceive is just terrible. Anyway, I felt that I needed to post this.

Here are the photos of the ball when I had it:

Here are the recent photos that I was emailed:

Old 11-02-2013, 08:18 PM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Same ball, thanks for the heads up, Keith.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:19 PM

Yep, same ball. Thanks for bringing it to everyone's attention. I really hate all of the fraud in our hobby.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:08 PM
Jim Murphy

I have photos also of the balls sweet spot, no Christy on it
Here is my original post

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=150766

Last edited by murphusa; 11-02-2013 at 09:48 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:03 AM
Kevin O'Gara

Well I'm a little annoyed because keith never said something was removed from the king of the diamond ball when I purchased it from him.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:27 AM
Richard Simon

It is also a poorly written forgery.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 11-03-2013, 09:02 AM

Hello Kevin,
My apologies if I did not disclose that. To be honest, I don't recall reading it, but obviously Jim had it clearly written in his BST post. Wouldn't be the first time that I just looked at photos and breathed through a description barely reading it. Just this past year I bought an item on ebay, that upon receiving it realized it had a huge modern leather restoration - I was taken aback as to why the seller didn't disclose that. I went back to read the description and noticed that the seller had clearly and accurately described the restoration, but obviously I hadn't read the description at all.
I thought the Spalding ball was a beauty and didn't notice anything on it, but if knowing that there was something removed bothers you, I would be happy to give you a full refund plus cover your shipping cost to return it. Or if I can make you happy in some other fashion, please shoot me an email or a message.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:53 PM
Jim Murphy

sweet spot on ball about 18 months ago