NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 11-05-2013, 03:23 AM

Default A Haul of a Weekend….2nd Best Alameda Ever

photo c1886Mayflower325x28Inch_zps4b0b00c0.jpg
32 1/2" Wide x 28" Tall, Framed Period Photo of the Mayflower, Winner of the 1886 America's Cup Race

photo Close7_zps49af35f3.jpg

photo Close8_zpsba756acb.jpg

Had a heck of a weekend….Saturday went to the Hillsborough Antiques Show and found a c1886 imperial size photograph 32 1/2" Wide x 28" Tall Framed, of the Mayflower sloop…The Mayflower was the American contender that won the America’s Cup Race in 1886. Owned by Charles Jackson Paine August 26, 1833 – August 12, 1916…Although it’s in its original frame with wavy glass…it has been refitted with conservation quality materials. Large photographs of the Mayflower are very rare…As a side note…. the Mayflower’s owner Charles Jackson Paine was one of the oarsmen in the first boat race between Harvard and Yale in August 1852, which was the first inter-collegiate sporting event in North America. …Also a side note..the photo has a purported provenance from the J.P. Morgan family… Everything aligned and it hit the “had to get it” level.

photo PICT8861_zps86cb1786.jpg
16 ½” wide X 12 ¾” backing

photo PICT8864_zpsc991abc9.jpg

So I was pretty much finished for the weekend as far as major purchases…I was going to the Alameda Point Antiques Fair the next day but didn’t expect to find anything big…But what do you know…I got there really late….like 10:30AM….and it worked in my favor…on the second row I spotted a vintage blue and red sleeved FB jersey displayed with a pair of reeded FB pants…AND a large c1908 Stanford football team photo mounted on a 16 ½” wide X 12 ¾” backing…The card backing is pretty wiped out…but if it’s damaged at all it may as well be damaged a lot because I’ll just mat over it…probably with the same greenish gray color mat…You just don’t see large photos like that very often…

photo SFCall1_zps43bb72d3.jpg

I’ve had that photo over 24 hours and still haven’t figured out exactly what year the team is from…Fortunately on the back is the name “J.D. Taggart”…I was able to ID him as a1908 Stanford grad…so I can loosely figure the team as being from between 1904 and 1907 but nothing concrete yet…

photo PICT8828_zps03c60e7e.jpg

photo PICT8834_zpse86be2e9.jpg

I bought the photo....then afterwards considering how rare the jersey was I bought the jersey and the pants too…It was like going to a National…you just don’t see jerseys like that at antique shows…..when I saw it, it was like what the heck?!?!....The dealer sets up late and had I gone thru that isle early I wouldn’t have seen it…He usually has a few trophies for sale but I’ve never seen him put out something this quality…I asked him what he would have next month and he said nothing that good!...Now that it’s sunk in what I have…a lace up canvass football smock to go with it is the natural next step….so it’s on my mind…unless I end up selling or trading the jersey and pants…

photo PICT8839_zps6a934044.jpg

photo PICT8841_zpsd2a9cd45.jpg

The jersey is by Rawlings…guess late 1920’s from the Ra-Tex on the label but could be earlier…The pants are by Iver Johnson…who I really wasn’t familiar with…turns out they were in the sporting goods biz since 1871 but mostly known as a gun maker…they later got into bicycles and then later motorcycles…obviously somewhere in their timeline they got into football pants and who knows what else….pants are in darn nice shape…great clean maker tag…probably from about 1900-1910

All said it was the second best Alameda I’ve been to since they opened in 1998…the best was that plaque I got in 2009

photo PICT8835_zpse15b06f2.jpg

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 11-05-2013 at 03:28 AM.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:59 AM
Chris Wood

Awesome pickups Carlton! Tell me that you also bought the nose guard too?
Old 11-05-2013, 07:09 AM
P.hil €lli$

Wow Carlton!

I love the pants and jersey. Some great finds! Congrats.

Phil
Old 11-05-2013, 07:18 AM

Default Wow

Wow, killer pickups Carlton. Love the football sweater - they are very tough to find. The noseguard and football must have been priced very high to not pick them up (unless you did and didn't mention it). Great stuff.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:24 AM
Brad

Amazing, Carlton...AGAIN...Photos of your purchases are like a little "pick-me-up" to my day. I love seeing them.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:01 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Great story, thanks for sharing it!

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 11-05-2013, 06:40 PM
Kevin O'Gara

Carlton, the nose guard carlton?
Old 11-05-2013, 09:38 PM
Don Stokes

only photo I could find of J D. Taggart is from 1909 but couldn't find his name on any football team.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg j d taggart 1909.jpg (13.0 KB, 163 views)