NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 08-18-2014, 09:32 PM
Matt

One of the most under graded looking pieces I have come across! Was about to pull trigger on a 5 but spent way less on a better looking piece. Curious to get it in hand and see what the issue is; back looks great, too.

Last edited by MattyC; 08-18-2014 at 09:32 PM.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:18 AM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

Been wanting this Bench card for a long time. I was the under bidder on PSA 9 a couple of months ago. Looking back I should have ponied up the big money because that 9 that I lost out on was perfectly centered. This one sold me on the sharpness of the corners and overall color even if it has a slight tilt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bench 1969 Front PSA 9 net54.jpg (40.8 KB, 220 views)
Old 08-19-2014, 12:28 PM

Hiya Savedfrom...(What's your first name, bub?)

I must confess that I never really collected the set, and never noticed that card 163 Mel Roach was placed smack dab in the middle of the Los Angeles Dodgers numerical sequence---7 Dodgers before and after. That discovery is most fascinating.

According to Baseball-Reference.com, on May 9, 1961 the Milwaukee Braves traded Mel Roach to the Chicago Cubs for Frank Thomas, which I'm sure bears much weight in the explanation of why Roach is tough, though I'm still puzzled by his assigned number in the middle of the Dodgers.

As for number 193 Frank Thomas, he's with his fellow Cubs. However, it seems Post just kept Frank on the Cubs' send-away team sheet. As for his box card, it must have been deleted from the set, because the Standard Catalog has the cereal box Frank Thomas valued at $37, whereas the send-away card is only $7. (The values are from the long out-of-date 2001 Standard Catalog, but are relevant for the point regarding the disparity in value, which deduces that the Thomas box card is much much more scarce)

Then again, kids simply collected cards or teams; few would be brave enough to go for the entire set, so Roach having an oddball number may have been no big deal to Post. Maybe there originally was to have been another Dodger, such as Sandy Koufax! Wish Dan Mabey would come to our rescue on this one. Perhaps he knows.

--Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 08-19-2014 at 11:09 PM.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:08 PM

matt - that is one helluva nice looking card.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:26 PM
Anthony Rodriguez

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
One of the most under graded looking pieces I have come across! Was about to pull trigger on a 5 but spent way less on a better looking piece. Curious to get it in hand and see what the issue is; back looks great, too.

Beautiful card, enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-19-2014, 07:44 PM
Matt

Thx!

Love the 69 Bench; it is a card on my list, too. To think I went and sold a 9 years ago when I was collecting a set-- to buy some commons! Face palm time!

Just found this bad boy on ebay-- had been one of the toughest in the run for me to hunt down well-centered.

Last edited by MattyC; 08-19-2014 at 07:45 PM.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:55 PM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

Congrats! Now that is a nice Mantle for PSA 6. Well done.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:10 PM
Anthony Rodriguez

Nice find! Not too many jut floating around

Old 08-20-2014, 06:28 AM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post
Hiya Savedfrom...(What's your first name, bub?)

I must confess that I never really collected the set, and never noticed that card 163 Mel Roach was placed smack dab in the middle of the Los Angeles Dodgers numerical sequence---7 Dodgers before and after. That discovery is most fascinating.

According to Baseball-Reference.com, on May 9, 1961 the Milwaukee Braves traded Mel Roach to the Chicago Cubs for Frank Thomas, which I'm sure bears much weight in the explanation of why Roach is tough, though I'm still puzzled by his assigned number in the middle of the Dodgers.

As for number 193 Frank Thomas, he's with his fellow Cubs. However, it seems Post just kept Frank on the Cubs' send-away team sheet. As for his box card, it must have been deleted from the set, because the Standard Catalog has the cereal box Frank Thomas valued at $37, whereas the send-away card is only $7. (The values are from the long out-of-date 2001 Standard Catalog, but are relevant for the point regarding the disparity in value, which deduces that the Thomas box card is much much more scarce)

Then again, kids simply collected cards or teams; few would be brave enough to go for the entire set, so Roach having an oddball number may have been no big deal to Post. Maybe there originally was to have been another Dodger, such as Sandy Koufax! Wish Dan Mabey would come to our rescue on this one. Perhaps he knows.

--Brian Powell
Brian,
You are right, Dan will likely have the answer in regards to the numbering of the Roach card....hopefully he will see this thread.

Here is a year old article on Dan by SCD:
http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com...-cereal-cards/

According to this article, there are 543 total cards in the 62 set....I thought I was almost done with the 62 set needing just the blue lined Koufax and Clemente to complete the set based on the checklist in my VBC. Guess I have more work to do there. There seem to be an almost endless number of background and cropping variations on the player's images in this set.

Larry
Old 08-20-2014, 06:29 AM
Larry More.y

Matt, good call on the great centering on that sharp looking 60 Mantle.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:44 AM
Bill Gregory

I just picked up this beautiful Johnny Bench for my 1975 Topps set. This is the scan from the web. I'll replace it with a better one once it comes in. But I'm having a hard time seeing why it's only an 8. I'll have to look it over in person.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:01 AM
Matt

Awesome buy. When you have an 8 that looks like that, you've won.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:20 PM

Howdy Larry,

Thanks for your kind response, and methinks you are many yards taller than I in knowledge of the nuances and kazillion intricacies of those amazing Post Cereal cards. Please forgive me where I might have insulted your intelligence. Honestly, I just love it that some other collectors are talking about these swell cards, and collecting 'em too.

At the risk of expressing common knowledge to you again, have you happened upon any of the original spot black 'n white TV commercials that General Foods ran about their Post Cereal baseball and football card promotions, as shown on YOUTUBE? A nostalgia buff / dealer uploaded some of them a few years ago and every once in a while I mozy over there and watch a few. If you are well familiar with these, you know what they mean to a devoted collector/enthusiast of Post.

Well, gotta eat and head off to work. I usually have a bowl of breakfast cereal, etc. Just wish.... Let's just say those cereal cards bring back a lot of fond childhood memories. ---Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 08-20-2014 at 12:21 PM.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:00 PM
Larry More.y

Brian,

Thank you for letting me know about the youtube uploads of the old Post commercials...I will certainly take a look at them.

In regards to the Post sets of cards, I am still very much a novice and in a learning mode about these sets and their nuances. Please continue to share your knowledge of these sets, as most all of the information you share is not only new to me, but helpful also.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:19 PM
$teve O.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
I just picked up this beautiful Johnny Bench for my 1975 Topps set. This is the scan from the web. I'll replace it with a better one once it comes in. But I'm having a hard time seeing why it's only an 8. I'll have to look it over in person.

Great looking Bench ,Bill.Good luck with the set.Looks like your off to a good start!
Old 08-20-2014, 05:58 PM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

Bill that is a very nice PSA 8 Bench. How far along are you with the 75 set? I am considering doing the Reds team graded and the rest of the set raw.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:19 PM
Chris
Ch.ris Pa.rtin

Sorry for the glare. Got this as a psa2, very happy to see no creases when I broke Stan out. The corners don't look as bad in person.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg musial.jpg (74.5 KB, 171 views)
Old 08-21-2014, 05:57 AM
Je.rry Spillm@n

Old 08-21-2014, 06:41 AM
Tom Boblitt

Nice Nolan Jerry..........

Picked up (9) 1952 Topps High numbers with a Campy. Wish he didn't have (4) staple marks in him but it was the right price filler till I can find a nicely priced EXish one. Up to 21 High numbers now and need only (5) low number's [10RB,29RB,33RB,36RB,67BB] to have all the 1-80 in both RED and BLACK. Thanks to Lou Brown...........

Old 08-21-2014, 07:36 AM
Jason Albregts

Quote:
Originally Posted by autograf View Post
Nice Nolan Jerry..........

Picked up (9) 1952 Topps High numbers with a Campy. Wish he didn't have (4) staple marks in him but it was the right price filler till I can find a nicely priced EXish one. Up to 21 High numbers now and need only (5) low number's [10RB,29RB,33RB,36RB,67BB] to have all the 1-80 in both RED and BLACK. Thanks to Lou Brown...........
So you're the one who snagged my Yuhas Nice pickup.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:39 AM
$teve O.

Quote:
Originally Posted by campyfan39 View Post
Sorry for the glare. Got this as a psa2, very happy to see no creases when I broke Stan out. The corners don't look as bad in person.
Nice Chris.Good luck with the set!
Old 08-21-2014, 10:53 AM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb67 View Post
Bill that is a very nice PSA 8 Bench. How far along are you with the 75 set? I am considering doing the Reds team graded and the rest of the set raw.
Thank you. I'm really in the early stages. So far, I just have the ones I've shown in this pickup thread-Yount, Bench, Dave Winfield, Tony Olivia, George Scott, Carl Yastrzemski, Don Sutton, and whatever I end up ordering today. I'm looking for some ungraded cards ones right now.

There are certain cards from this set that I'll be trying to get in high PSA grades. The Yount and Brett, of course. Rice, Carter, Hernandez, Ryan, Munson, Rose and Hank Aaron. Then I'll be buying them again in EXMT+ just to put in with the set to complete it.

I'm looking for Steve Carlton, Lou Brock and some other stars from the set today. I'm in no rush to put the set together. I'll probably spend the next several months working on it. Besides the Bench, I bought a nice mid grade '56 Topps Minnie Minoso, as I'm going to start a new discussion focused on him and a few other players, and 8 T206 cards. They'll be here today or tomorrow, then I'll scan them, and add them to the August pickup thread on the pre-war side.

I'm going to be pretty particular with this '75 set. I'm all about visual appeal.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.

Last edited by the 'stache; 08-21-2014 at 10:59 AM.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:57 AM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Awesome buy. When you have an 8 that looks like that, you've won.
Thanks, Matt. I'm paranoid, now. When I see a card like that, I think to myself "hmm, buy it now, or get something else, and come back to this? Aw, hell, better get it now, or a certain somebody else will notice this has been undergraded, and snag it up!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39special View Post
Great looking Bench ,Bill.Good luck with the set.Looks like your off to a good start!
Thank you, Steve. It's very fun. I love the T206 set, but it's quite a costly set. The 1975 set isn't nearly as tough on the pocket book, but there are more cards, and condition issues to avoid. So I'm buying the cards individually to make sure the entire set meets my expectations.

Old 08-21-2014, 05:19 PM

Wink A summer's-worth of Old 1990's-graded Beckett pick-ups

...I'm lucky to find this many in only three months..

...I had to severely over-tweak the scanner settings to get the Drysdale image to appear ;... otherwise that yellow background color used for some of the 1959 Topps blends into the white border color (see also any '59 Clemente ) and then you can't truly appreciate what a centering weenie I am....
Old 08-21-2014, 06:34 PM
Jason

I just got the 1961 Union Oil back from SGC today. I was hoping for a smaller non-exhibit case but I guess this will work. Maybe I can mount a autographed cut beneath it or maybe an autographed baseball or bat. I have seen this card in a smaller SGC case, so I'm not sure why they went this route. I picked up Perry's 1962 Topps RC on eBay for next to nothing. Also thanks to Derek for the Union Oil.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:11 PM
Dustin Bellinger

Not high grade cards by any means but just got the Clemente in the mailbox today. My first non-modern card of him.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:18 PM
Derek Granger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthorst75 View Post
I just got the 1961 Union Oil back from SGC today. I was hoping for a smaller non-exhibit case but I guess this will work. Maybe I can mount a autographed cut beneath it or maybe an autographed baseball or bat. I have seen this card in a smaller SGC case, so I'm not sure why they went this route. I picked up Perry's 1962 Topps RC on eBay for next to nothing. Also thanks to Derek for the Union Oil.
Nice! Right in line w/ where I thought it might end up - EX to EX/MT! Glad to see it didn't get some ridiculous grade for some unknown paper loss or surface wrinkle! It certainly presents much nicer than The technical grade, which was dragged down by the staining on back.

Thanks for an easy transaction!

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 08-21-2014, 10:40 PM
Chris

Not the best shape but happy to add this to the collection:

Old 08-22-2014, 07:16 AM
Bill Gregory

I was able to add one more beauty to my collection. I'll get a better scan up when it comes in. But I'm giddy. Mark Belanger, one of the greatest defensive players the game has ever seen, and a man I feel should be in the Hall of Fame.

It's not a coincidence that the Orioles were American League Champions 5 times, and World Champions twice, while Belanger was playing short for the Orioles.

In my opinion, there has never been a better left side of the infield from a defensive standpoint. Belanger and Brooks Robinson were both full time starters at the same time between 1968 and 1975. That's 8 seasons, a total of 16 Gold Gloves available. They took 13 of them. Brooks Robinson, of course, won 16 Gold Gloves in total. Belanger won 8 Gold Gloves as a shortstop. And since 1950, only Ozzie Smith has had a higher defensive WAR than Robinson's 38.8 and Belanger's incredible 39.4. Ozzie Smith beat out Belanger with a 43.4 WAR. But he also played 557 more games than Belanger.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:01 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestdj777 View Post
Not the best shape but happy to add this to the collection:

Dammit Bestdj777, I am glad i turned you onto to it last week @Baggers, I know how much you tried to get it last time, I am glad you still got it in the long run, when it came back up in auction, still cheaper than i thought than previous owner paid. I am so excited for ya to check that one off the list.

Last edited by pawpawdiv9; 08-22-2014 at 09:06 AM.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:20 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Default Now its my turn!!!!

After a droughtfull many months..I worked in a trade for this BAD BOY!!!!!
Thanks to a dealer from the National...Brad Lang (ebay seller floyd6294)
and special thanks to Leon, MattyC and Bestdj777 for advice/opinions.
A bit O/C, but i liked no wet transfer on this one.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:38 AM
Chris

[QUOTE=pawpawdiv9;1313033]After a droughtfull many months..I worked in a trade for this BAD BOY!!!!!
Thanks to a dealer from the National...Brad Lang (ebay seller floyd6294)
and special thanks to Leon, MattyC and Bestdj777 for advice/opinions.
A bit O/C, but i liked no wet transfer on this one.

[QUOTE]

Thanks Chris. I appreciate you letting me know about it! And, gorgeous card. Glad you nabbed it.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:34 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

That Robby Leaf is quite nice, centering be damned!
Old 08-22-2014, 11:20 AM
Bill Gregory

Nice Jackie, Chris Good pickups. You're obviously happy, and that's the most important thing.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm back to scouring the web for more 75s.

Old 08-22-2014, 12:15 PM

Way 'ta go, Chris!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations on finally getting the 55 Stahl-Meyer Franks Mickey Mantle. Just having one is definitely an accomplishment very few Mantle collectors reach. For having a major crease, at least it misses Mick's eyes and most of his cap. That spares some of the essential eye appeal. --Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 08-22-2014 at 12:17 PM.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:00 PM
Anthony Rodriguez

That is a sexy Jackie Robinson Card

Old 08-22-2014, 07:20 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post
Way 'ta go, Chris!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations on finally getting the 55 Stahl-Meyer Franks Mickey Mantle. Just having one is definitely an accomplishment very few Mantle collectors reach. For having a major crease, at least it misses Mick's eyes and most of his cap. That spares some of the essential eye appeal. --Brian Powell
Thanks Brian! Now I just need the 54.... I am so glad the wrinkle didn't go through his face. I don't mind creases as long as they don't ruin the eye appeal. I appreciate the kind words. This is one I've wanted for a while. I bid on this exact card in an auction several months ago but backed out one bid too soon.
Old 08-23-2014, 03:54 PM
Jeff

Here's a 1977 J.D. McCarthy of Tom "Touch 'em all Joe" Cheek, hall of fame broadcaster of the Blue Jays. I guess this would be his rookie card.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1977 J.D. McCarthy Tom Cheek.jpg (82.7 KB, 178 views)

Always looking for interesting pre-war baseball & hockey postcards!
Old 08-24-2014, 12:17 AM
Jeff

Default A Couple of New Ones

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."

Last edited by HRBAKER; 08-24-2014 at 12:18 AM.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:48 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Jeff,

That's a sweet Minoso!!

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 08-25-2014, 01:54 AM
I@n Cl@rke

Picked up a few signed ones this month, these two were the highlights...
1957 Topps Don Drysdale signed, previous auction.jpg1961 Topps Mickey Mantle MVP signed.jpg

And a super clean Clemente off BST.. it's a dupe but I couldn't resist.
1970 Topps Roberto Clemente N54.jpg

ADDING-- (almost forgot) signed Catfish rookie from LOTG
1965 Topps Jim Hunter signed.jpg

Last edited by itjclarke; 08-25-2014 at 02:00 AM. Reason: catfish
Old 08-25-2014, 08:25 PM
Chris

This is the only one I have ever seen for sale and I am ecstatic to add this to my collection. What makes it even better is that it has relatively decent centering and none of the typical scrapbook damage. Plus, it is fresh from Venezuela, which only adds to the charm to me.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:44 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

Quote:
This is the only one I have ever seen for sale and I am ecstatic to add this to my collection. What makes it even better is that it has relatively decent centering and none of the typical scrapbook damage. Plus, it is fresh from Venezuela, which only adds to the charm to me.

Congrats of the 59 Mantle Venezuelan. I know you have got to be excited about that pick up. Very hard card to find at all let alone afford. Very nice!
Drew
Old 08-26-2014, 08:35 AM
Tyson

Quote:

WOW! A great find!!! Congratulations!!!!

I see you're also looking for a 1960 Venezuelan Mantle/Boyer... There's a PSA4 on eBay right now for a mere $5,000 .... ;-)
Old 08-26-2014, 09:10 PM
Chris

thank you both. I could not be happier about the purchase. I rarely find a card this nice, at a price I can afford, when I can afford it. Now just two Topps Venezuelan Mantles to go...
Old 08-28-2014, 08:16 AM
Bill Gregory

It must be Minnie Minoso month. This 1956 Topps just came in. Nothing special, collectors grade. It's going to be incorporated in discussion very shortly.

Also found a pretty nice Steve Garvey for the '75 Topps set. Slightly off center, but I like it.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:18 AM
Matt

Quote:

That card is diesel.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:19 AM
Bill Gregory

Chris, congratulations on picking up the Venezuelan Mantle. Wow. Your master set is really getting close to completion.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:18 PM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

Congrats Chris on obtaining the Mantle. How long have you been looking for that particular Mantle?
Old 08-28-2014, 09:19 PM
Chris

Thank you all. I have been casually searching for it for years, but I've taken it on and off my list as I thought I would never get it. I cannot wait to have this one in hand as the condition looks halfway decent on it. This puts me within 6 cards of completing my set (330 cards), although I might add some more postcards and a couple of pseudo test issued cards to the list next. Now I just need the 1960 and 1968 Venezuelans...

Last edited by Bestdj777; 08-28-2014 at 09:21 PM.