NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 08-31-2014, 07:45 PM

Default Newer Member from IN

Hello. I've been on here briefly, and would like to be on here more. Anyway, let me introduce myself.

I'm a Washington Nationals vintage and current collector. I have always wanted to build a vintage set. The problem I face is, what set to build? I've always wanted to do a 50-70's Topps set. Anybody have any suggestions for a set to build?

Thank you everybody for viewing.

Last edited by NatsFan11; 02-09-2016 at 07:06 PM.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:54 PM
Bill Gregory

Hi Troy. Welcome aboard!

I'll give you the same advice I gave Garrett. You might want to also make an introductory post on the main forum.

http://net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2

That serves as the pre-war forum, also the "hi, I just joined Net 54" forum. There's a lot of people on the pre-war side that also post here, myself included.

Have fun!

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
Hi Troy. Welcome aboard!

I'll give you the same advice I gave Garrett. You might want to also make an introductory post on the main forum.

http://net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2

That serves as the pre-war forum, also the "hi, I just joined Net 54" forum. There's a lot of people on the pre-war side that also post here, myself included.

Have fun!
Nice to meet you. I will be sure to post in the main forum.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:01 PM
Robert

Welcome Troy!
Successful Transactions with: cammb, jim, sean1125,bobbyw8469, vintagetoppsguy, mintacular, rube26105, irishdenny, brick, Robextend,dboneesq, northviewcats, wdwfan, Dhogan, quitcrab, eliminator, Harliduck, tonyo, fetamore, hcv123, Bocabirdman, Casey2296,Aplyon86 Futbowl, pwang100, GoCubsGo32, Sidepocket, jcarroll84, DanP, YazFenway08, 4reals, sflayank, frazier and many others
Old 08-31-2014, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackie View Post
Welcome Troy!
Thank you. I'm excited to be here
Old 08-31-2014, 09:15 PM
Robert

So many great members here and lots to read up on from pre-war to modern........its a great board.
Successful Transactions with: cammb, jim, sean1125,bobbyw8469, vintagetoppsguy, mintacular, rube26105, irishdenny, brick, Robextend,dboneesq, northviewcats, wdwfan, Dhogan, quitcrab, eliminator, Harliduck, tonyo, fetamore, hcv123, Bocabirdman, Casey2296,Aplyon86 Futbowl, pwang100, GoCubsGo32, Sidepocket, jcarroll84, DanP, YazFenway08, 4reals, sflayank, frazier and many others
Old 08-31-2014, 09:20 PM
Bill Gregory

As to your question about what set to build, you can start by narrowing it down somewhat. Since the Nationals weren't around during this period, I might ask if you have a second favorite team, or if you have any favorite players from the 50s, 60s and 70s. You also want to consider what kind of a budget you have to play with. If you select a set from the early 50s, you're looking at a good chunk of change. A set like the 1954 Topps set will be pretty pricey with the Hank Aaron, Ernie Banks and Al Kaline rookies. But if you're not against building a set slowly, then you can't really go wrong with it. You also get a nice Ted Williams. But, there is no Mickey Mantle. If you go with something like the 1956 Topps set, you get a plethora of really nice early cards. The Mantle is very collectible, and more affordable comparatively. There's also a nice Ted Williams. The '56 sets is one of my favorites from Topps.

You could also look at something like the 1953 Bowman Color set. It's smaller, but gorgeous! So many iconic cards in that one, including the Pee Wee Reese.

If you're more into the 70s, I really like the 1975 Topps set, which I'm building right now. Lots of great Hall of Fame rookies-Robin Yount, George Brett, Gary Carter and Jim Rice, plus Keith Hernandez' rookie. Lots of great veteran Hall of Famers, too. Harmon Killebrew, Hank Aaron, Bob Gibson and Lou Brock, Ron Santo and Billy Williams, Frank Robinson. You also have a beautiful Thurman Munson in that set.

The easiest way to pick a set is to start eliminating things you don't want. Pick a decade. Pick some favorite players. Pick a set where you might already have some cards.

Let us know what you decide. Most importantly, have fun with it!

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:21 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

Welcome aboard! Is there any set, player, decade etc that interests you? 50's to 70's is a fairly broad range. What condition cards? Low, mid or high range?

If I was just starting out to get my feet wet in a set build these are the three I would build from each of the three decades and why.

50's would be 1956 topps. A beautiful set with no hard hi numbers or major rookies to get. Also 10% of set is HOFers. Only major star not in there is Musial but still has a few mega stars late in their career like J. Robinson, Campanella, Feller and Williams but also includes younger stars still starting out in their greatness like Aaron, Banks, Clemente, Koufax, Kaline and Killebrew.

60's would be probably 1964. In my opinion it has a nice clean look to it and from what I understand it doesn't bog you down with tough hi number like some others. (Note: I have not personally built any set from the 60's yet so most of my info is opinion and what I've read other, more experienced collectors say)

70's would be 1975. Great colors. Great rookies. Not crazy expensive. Also there seems to be a lot of people collecting them so trading seems to be easier.

All of this to say welcome and enjoy. I look forward to seeing you around here and getting to know smother enthusiast.

Drew

Last edited by almostdone; 08-31-2014 at 09:22 PM.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostdone View Post
Welcome aboard! Is there any set, player, decade etc that interests you? 50's to 70's is a fairly broad range. What condition cards? Low, mid or high range?

If I was just starting out to get my feet wet in a set build these are the three I would build from each of the three decades and why.

50's would be 1956 topps. A beautiful set with no hard hi numbers or major rookies to get. Also 10% of set is HOFers. Only major star not in there is Musial but still has a few mega stars late in their career like J. Robinson, Campanella, Feller and Williams but also includes younger stars still starting out in their greatness like Aaron, Banks, Clemente, Koufax, Kaline and Killebrew.

60's would be probably 1964. In my opinion it has a nice clean look to it and from what I understand it doesn't bog you down with tough hi number like some others. (Note: I have not personally built any set from the 60's yet so most of my info is opinion and what I've read other, more experienced collectors say)

70's would be 1975. Great colors. Great rookies. Not crazy expensive. Also there seems to be a lot of people collecting them so trading seems to be easier.

All of this to say welcome and enjoy. I look forward to seeing you around here and getting to know smother enthusiast.

Drew
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
As to your question about what set to build, you can start by narrowing it down somewhat. Since the Nationals weren't around during this period, I might ask if you have a second favorite team, or if you have any favorite players from the 50s, 60s and 70s. You also want to consider what kind of a budget you have to play with. If you select a set from the early 50s, you're looking at a good chunk of change. A set like the 1954 Topps set will be pretty pricey with the Hank Aaron, Ernie Banks and Al Kaline rookies. But if you're not against building a set slowly, then you can't really go wrong with it. You also get a nice Ted Williams. But, there is no Mickey Mantle. If you go with something like the 1956 Topps set, you get a plethora of really nice early cards. The Mantle is very collectible, and more affordable comparatively. There's also a nice Ted Williams. The '56 sets is one of my favorites from Topps.

You could also look at something like the 1953 Bowman Color set. It's smaller, but gorgeous! So many iconic cards in that one, including the Pee Wee Reese.

If you're more into the 70s, I really like the 1975 Topps set, which I'm building right now. Lots of great Hall of Fame rookies-Robin Yount, George Brett, Gary Carter and Jim Rice, plus Keith Hernandez' rookie. Lots of great veteran Hall of Famers, too. Harmon Killebrew, Hank Aaron, Bob Gibson and Lou Brock, Ron Santo and Billy Williams, Frank Robinson. You also have a beautiful Thurman Munson in that set.

The easiest way to pick a set is to start eliminating things you don't want. Pick a decade. Pick some favorite players. Pick a set where you might already have some cards.

Let us know what you decide. Most importantly, have fun with it!
I would collect the Expos and not the Nats.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:29 PM

I'm thinking the 1961 Topps Baseball Set. Is that a good set?
Old 09-01-2014, 01:25 PM

Glad you are here.

I'm in North Central Indiana on US 30 40 miles west of Fort Wayne.