NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 09-01-2014, 08:07 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Default Help me understand

So I've been searching for a reasonably priced 1954 Red Heart Mickey Mantle to finish my Red Heart set. These two cards recently came up on Ebay and I just don't understand the grading. From the scans, the 2.5 looks much better than the 4 (I was the underbidder on the 2.5). Is this just a case of 'buy the card, not the holder' or am I missing something?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mick PSA 2.5.jpg (78.1 KB, 270 views)
File Type: jpg Mick PSA 4.JPG (70.1 KB, 269 views)
Old 09-01-2014, 08:10 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Could be some big issues on the back or perhaps there are creases or other problems on front that can't be seen in the scan?

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:29 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Default Here's the backs

The 2.5 back is on the left and the 4 back on the right
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mick 2.5 back.jpg (80.7 KB, 260 views)
File Type: jpg Mick 4 back.JPG (63.6 KB, 259 views)
Old 09-01-2014, 09:21 PM
Nate Mack

Default red heart

The 2.5 could have some staining or water damage from the back scan. I would have gone after the 2.5 as well... Nice looking card

Currently working on:
53 Topps, 61 Topps, 52-55 Redman, 47-66 Exhibits, 53 Bowman color, 52 Topps, 51-55 Bowman, 64 Topps Stand Ups

My trading page:
http://natesbaseballcardtradingco.weebly.com
Old 09-01-2014, 09:46 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

It may have been glued into an album? Those back stains (possibly) follow that theory.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:45 AM
Matt

2.5 is the superior card to me.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:40 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I think if you held the 2.5 in your hand and tilted it you would see a few tiny issues. That being said I would much, much prefer the 2.5.

A lot of our members, and myself included, collect by the card and not so much the flip. So we tend to have some great looking cards in lower number holders. It's part of what makes collecting fun. And then there is the other side that says "wow, look at my PSA (or SGC) 8".....it's all good....
Old 09-02-2014, 09:42 AM
Dave Foster

On the back of the 2.5, looks like a faint side-to-side horizontal crease above the Batting Record box line and the black border line above Red Heart. With corners and centering that sharp, it has to be creased to get that grade. Given that, it still presents much better than the 4. And, I'd take it all day over the 4!
Old 09-02-2014, 10:49 AM
David M.

The scan for the PSA 2.5 isn't very clear, but there appears to be a shadow in the lower right hand corner that could be a bend. Usually a card that nice that gets down graded to a PSA 2.5 has a bend or paper wrinkle somewhere that may be very difficult to see.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:07 AM
Dave

Looks like there's several surface wrinkles that don't show up very well in the 2.5.

The exact card also sold on June 20th on Ebay, and on that scan the wrinkles are completely hidden, but it looks like there may be a dig on the upper right corner.

I'd wager, in hand most people would take the "4", regardless of the centering issues with that one.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:18 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
The scan for the PSA 2.5 isn't very clear, but there appears to be a shadow in the lower right hand corner that could be a bend. Usually a card that nice that gets down graded to a PSA 2.5 has a bend or paper wrinkle somewhere that may be very difficult to see.
I agree with this. I see it too. Again, it could be a shadow, but could be a bend as well.

Also, is that paper loss on the back of the card? Almost in the center of the card between the words 'FIELD' and 'AVERAGE' appears to be a speck of paper loss. Either way, I agree that I would rather have the 2.5
Old 09-02-2014, 07:27 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Just strange that the defects in the 2.5 card are all hard to see in the scans, in the shadows, or only visible in person, while the dog ears on the corners of the 4 are clearly visible from any and all photos/scans/artist's renderings, etc.

I guess I need to get better educated with the grading rules.

Last edited by Bigdaddy; 09-02-2014 at 07:27 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:48 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
Just strange that the defects in the 2.5 card are all hard to see in the scans, in the shadows, or only visible in person, while the dog ears on the corners of the 4 are clearly visible from any and all photos/scans/artist's renderings, etc.

I guess I need to get better educated with the grading rules.

They are both also scanned using completely different settings. Look how much brighter and washed out the 2.5 looks. Surface image has been descreened and flattened.

Personally I'd rather have the dog ears, then surface wrinkles on a card, but I may be in the minority.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:55 PM
Bill Gregory

I would ask to have a second batch of pictures taken of the 2.5, but from what I can see, it's the superior card of the two.

Remember, these guys are looking at the card under magnification in the dark. There may be some flaws that are more readily apparent in optimum conditions. If they don't show up when you've got the card in your living room's display case, then who cares? I'd jump all over that every day, and twice on Sunday. Perfect opportunity to own a beautiful example of this card at a fraction of the cost. Those are the kinds of cards many of us around here love, myself included.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:44 PM
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
There may be some flaws that are more readily apparent in optimum conditions. If they don't show up when you've got the card in your living room's display case, then who cares?
Brilliantly stated. Exactly what collecting in the grading era is all about, in my opinion.