NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 08-28-2016, 03:13 PM
Scott Russell

Default Desperately seeking Thorpe

Looking for Jim Thorpe cards for the First Annual Jim Thorpe Sports Card Show and Live Auction. Especially trying to find even a low grade 1933 Sport Kings. Even scouring online they are few and far between. Would consider purchasing outright or giving fantastic consignment terms.

htto://www.jimthorpesportscardshow.com
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 08-31-2016, 03:21 PM

Hey Scott

I may be able to loan you a PSA 8 for the show.
Please email me and give me all the details.

Robert Casterline
Hunt/Casterline Collection

robertcasterine@aol.com
Old 08-31-2016, 04:05 PM

Scott, can we bid online in the auction? I'm interested in anything to do with the barnstorming basketball team Thorpe led called the World Famous Indians. My father played a few games with him in 1927 - they knew each other from pro football. I have a nice photo of Thorpe tackling my father in 1926. Are you looking for items just to sell or also for display?

Last edited by revmoran; 08-31-2016 at 04:12 PM.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:47 PM
Dan Be$$e++e

Rev, awesome Thorpe items, and so cool your dad played with him!
Old 09-01-2016, 07:55 AM

I was thinking about the auction last night and wondered about the status of a judgment that Jim Thorpe's body should be returned to Oklahoma for burial. http://www.tnonline.com/2013/apr/20/...es-body-family

A federal judge ruled yesterday that Jim Thorpe's body, buried in the Carbon County town named for him, should be returned to his family.

Judge A. Richard Caputo, U.S. District Judge in the United States Middle District, Scranton, stated in his one-page order, "The borough of Jim Thorpe is a 'museum' under the Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act and subject to the requirements of the Act, including those provisions governing repatriation requests."

The ruling comes nearly three years after a lawsuit was initiated by Thorpe's son, John Thorpe, who was later joined by his brothers, Richard Thorpe, and William Thorpe, and the Sac and Fox Nation of Oklahoma, seeking the return of the body of the athlete Jim Thorpe to Oklahoma.

Last edited by revmoran; 09-01-2016 at 07:55 AM.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:07 PM
Dan Be$$e++e

I had read about the case on ESPN.com. I'm glad to hear thorpe's family finally got justice.
Old 09-02-2016, 04:49 AM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by revmoran View Post
I was thinking about the auction last night and wondered about the status of a judgment that Jim Thorpe's body should be returned to Oklahoma for burial. http://www.tnonline.com/2013/apr/20/...es-body-family

A federal judge ruled yesterday that Jim Thorpe's body, buried in the Carbon County town named for him, should be returned to his family.

Judge A. Richard Caputo, U.S. District Judge in the United States Middle District, Scranton, stated in his one-page order, "The borough of Jim Thorpe is a 'museum' under the Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act and subject to the requirements of the Act, including those provisions governing repatriation requests."

The ruling comes nearly three years after a lawsuit was initiated by Thorpe's son, John Thorpe, who was later joined by his brothers, Richard Thorpe, and William Thorpe, and the Sac and Fox Nation of Oklahoma, seeking the return of the body of the athlete Jim Thorpe to Oklahoma.
I may be mistaken, but I think this is old information, Mike. I can't seem to find anything dated yesterday about this case. My understanding was the Supreme Court made the last and final ruling here:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/court...820c43a55.html

Am I missing more updated information?

jeff
Old 09-02-2016, 05:16 AM
Scott Russell

The final verdict was that he is not an Indian relic and therefore does not have to be returned. His wife did have the right to sign the contract with Mauch Chunk (now the town of Jim Thorpe) and the matter is now closed. All went down about a year ago.

Revmoran - No the auction is live only.

Revmoran and Robert - I don't know if the hall was planning on any kind of display but it would be cool to have some of those items just to be seen. I'm so swamped right now with other details I'd love to talk to you both after I finish getting the auction together.

Seems like Thorpe collectors are a pretty dedicated bunch. There's not a lot of stuff floating around out there that people are willing to part with!
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Old 09-02-2016, 10:35 AM

Thanks for the extra info, Jeff and Scott. And funny, just before I saw this thread I had posted my Thorpe Sports Kings as my favorite card in another forum - great player, great color, great design - a perfect card!
Old 09-02-2016, 10:50 AM
Scott Russell

Actually I had the logic of the ruling kind of backwards. The law declares that relics or remains must be returned to the tribe, with a notable exception if they are in a museum. The ruling declared that the memorial park and mausoleum constitutes a museum.

I do like the park and there are plaques to read and a couple life sized sculptures. In fact one of the reasons we partnered with the Jim Thorpe Hall of Fame (the caretakers of the park) is they are currently raising money for another scuplture.

Old 09-02-2016, 01:35 PM

This is my football Holy Trinity of Sports Kings cards

Old 09-02-2016, 05:26 PM
Scott Russell

Very nice, Talked to the Jim Thorpe Sports Hall of Fame today about the possibility of displaying your collection at the show. They'd have to take charge of it as I will be WAY to busy that day to give it the attention it needs and deserves, and they are the ones that sort of make sense as the caretaker of the park. Will definitely be in touch.

Old 09-02-2016, 05:28 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Mine:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 09-02-2016, 05:57 PM
Scott Russell

OK you guys who already HAVE your great Thorpe items need to stop rubbing it in until I get one for my auction!!!

Old 09-03-2016, 02:56 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Mine:

Always love seeing the Thorpe in headdress Exhibit/strip cards. That is one of my favorite images in the hobby.
Old 09-03-2016, 05:38 AM
Jeff P

I wish I could make it to your show/auction, Scott but I think I'm tied up that weekend

Good luck with everything and hope you raise a lot of $$$ for your cause(s). Here are a few more Thorpe items for those who like Thorpe.

Track:

Baseball:

Football:

jeff
Old 09-04-2016, 10:50 AM
Carl Lamendola

Tough to find a Thorpe pre-Sport Kings in football garb that is not a photo.
Best I could find was this 1908ish Postcard. However, Squires may have me beat by 1 year.

PS There was a 1940 Cline Photo postcard on eBay of the 1911 Harvard vs Carlisle team containing a Thorpe. It sold for almost $900! It was advertised as 1911 , but based on Clines nomenclature and the postal box it must be 1939/40. Still a nice piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-04-2016, 11:01 AM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamendo View Post
PS There was a 1940 Cline Photo postcard on eBay of the 1911 Harvard vs Carlisle team containing a Thorpe. It sold for almost $900! It was advertised as 1911 , but based on Clines nomenclature and the postal box it must be 1939/40.
Yeah, somebody WAY over paid for that item. Of course they can probably just pass it down the road and someone else who doesn't know any better will pay a bunch for it. It is from the 1940s, not 1911. If the person who bought it is reading this thread, you might want to consider returning it.

jeff
Old 09-04-2016, 11:11 AM
Carl Lamendola

He can use my article in my newly revised book on Amazon. I researched the heck out of this postcard. WM Cline did Native American Indian RPPCs and the numbers are sequence numbers that you can almost pinpoint it to 1940.

However, I know where the original photo is hanging w/o the little white box that Cline added for the postcard. Now, that would make a nice addition to your Thorpe collection, Jeff

Old 09-04-2016, 11:13 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
OK you guys who already HAVE your great Thorpe items need to stop rubbing it in until I get one for my auction!!!

Make me an offer I can't refuse.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 09-04-2016, 01:25 PM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamendo View Post
However, I know where the original photo is hanging w/o the little white box that Cline added for the postcard. Now, that would make a nice addition to your Thorpe collection, Jeff
Yes it would, Carl. Where, when, and how do I make that happen?

jeff
Old 09-04-2016, 06:48 PM
Carl Lamendola

I will be near the photo and will go on a reconnaissance mission in the next two weeks to see if it's still being displayed. If it is I will snap a picture and send it to you.
You'll have to negotiate with the owner directly.

If you can wrestle it free, I think you know what I want.