NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 02-06-2017, 08:23 AM

Default Opinions on this vintage (1942) Tigers ball....

I'm not super familiar with the playing era signature of Gehringer - any take? Rowe looks pretty good to my eye, but I am admittedly a newbie. Is this a good buy for $150? I realize the quality is poor on some of the autos but I am primarily interested in the SS Rowe and the York.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/DETROIT-TIGERS...%257Ciid%253A4

Last edited by Sivart31; 02-06-2017 at 08:28 AM.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:29 AM

1941, rather...
Old 02-06-2017, 08:31 AM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivart31 View Post
1941, rather...
It's worth it IMO if you can live with the faded signatures.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:36 AM

Any thoughts on the authenticity? I only know Gehringer's auto later in life. Thanks!
Old 02-06-2017, 09:14 AM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivart31 View Post
Any thoughts on the authenticity? I only know Gehringer's auto later in life. Thanks!
Sorry I can't help ya on that. I know there are others here very knowledgeable on this era.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:08 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

I think the ball looks authentic. As to the price, it isn't terrible, but without a halfway decent Greenberg it might be pushing it a bit. I would say it is definitely a fair price if there was a Greenberg of any decent quality at all. But there isn't. Also not an OAL ball. Is it a good buy at $150? probably not. Are you getting fleeced? No.

Tom C
Old 02-06-2017, 02:32 PM

Thanks, I appreciate it. The guy wants 175, I am probably comfortable at 125. So it may be moot.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:17 AM
Vincent Hecksel

. . .

The signatures look good to me too, although not sharp. The lack of sharpness of the signatures would be my primary concern. If I were looking to add this to my vintage Detroit Tigers autograph collection (which I am NOT !), I would not be willing to spend more than $100/$125 tops for it. Signatures just not crisp enough. As I have learned the hard way on many occasions, the signatures almost never look anywhere as good as they do in the photographs. So I would expect them to look even worse than they do in the photos. That said, if you are looking to add a vintage Detroit Tigers team signed baseball to your collection (and not looking to make a buck flipping it), $100-$125 is probably acceptable. 1941 Detroit team signed baseballs are not rare. Usually two or more seem to pop up every year in auctions & eBay. I have a couple of similarly conditioned 1941 Tiger team signed baseballs in my collection that I paid $75-$100 each, and so often, as I look them over, I wonder if I overpaid. But then I remind myself that I bought more than an autographed item; I bought a small piece of history. Thanks for sharing. Always love seeing this stuff. And good luck, regardless of whether you decide to pursue purchasing or not !!!

PS - I just recalled that I purchased a 1941 Detroit Tigers team signed baseball last December. I estimate the boldness of the signatures to range from 0-5, with most in the 2-3 range. This ball had been relisted two or three times with higher minimum bid amounts (did not sell) before seller listed with a $9.99 minimum. I purchased for $49.95 or something like that. In all honesty, I screwed up, as I had intended to bid during the previous listing (but forgot to follow through). The reason for wanting to bid previously, and actually bidding the last time for a 1941 Detroit Tigers team signed baseball with such light signatures is that one of the more readable signatures was by team owner W.O. Briggs (and not by son Spike). I have encountered very signed baseballs with the signature of this Detroit Tigers team owner. But that was the only reason I was interested in this signed ball. Once in hand, the boldness of the signatures was again less than the photos would have led one to expect. But fortunately, the Briggs signature is readable to the naked eye.

Last edited by HexsHeroes; 02-13-2017 at 11:26 AM.