NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-06-2018, 06:42 AM
Peter Spaeth

Anyone up for taking a chance on a NM MT Red Heart Mantle?
http://candimanauctions.com/Mickey_M...kee-LOT38.aspx

How about a NM 52T Jackie?
http://candimanauctions.com/Jackie_R...yn_-LOT29.aspx

NM/MT Brooks rookie?
http://candimanauctions.com/Brooks_R...Bal-LOT57.aspx

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 03-06-2018 at 06:43 AM.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:48 AM

Default Peter,

If you look at them for more than 30 seconds you get seasick and need a fisherman’s friend.

Sigh 😔
Old 03-06-2018, 07:02 AM
Robert Williams

I'll admit, I'm one of the worst at detecting trimmed cards. On some of these, it's almost like they are too good to be true. Unfortunately, due to battlefields history of duping people in their quest for the almighty dollar, I am hesitant to bid aggressively on any of these lots, knowing full well the likelihood they will come back "AUTHENTIC" only is strong. Honestly, I would be surprised if any of these go higher than "A" prices. If people submit these for grading, and are rewarded, I predict you will be very successful in this business. If they submit for grading, and are disappointed, then I predict this is a one and done.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:06 AM
Jeff Lar.son

I feel sorry for the other 15 people who consigned for this auction.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:18 AM

Default Not so fast...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batpig View Post
I feel sorry for the other 15 people who consigned for this auction.
The other 15 consignors are all family members I would guess.

🤷🏻*♂️
Old 03-06-2018, 07:24 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Originally the March 2018 premier auction was scheduled to close on March 3rd.

I guess they felt it would be more profitable to move it back to March 10th and hype it here on Net54 this week.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:45 AM
Lar.ry Buch.heim

how many of these are for sale again? I know the Leaf Kiner listed on Candiman "sold" with War_Eagle TWICE. Why, because I bid the first time which went for twice my bid.

Also, how come you cant supersize the auction pic like EVERY one auction site?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_nkw...intage&_sop=16
Old 03-06-2018, 08:50 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Edited - those are old auctions. I thought they were current ones at first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesWS1979 View Post
how many of these are for sale again? I know the Leaf Kiner listed on Candiman "sold" with War_Eagle TWICE. Why, because I bid the first time which went for twice my bid.

Also, how come you cant supersize the auction pic like EVERY one auction site?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_nkw...intage&_sop=16

Last edited by Leon; 03-06-2018 at 08:53 AM.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:24 AM
Tony Conte

Peter,

I thought you were looking for a nice Red Heart Mantle. There you go!
Old 03-06-2018, 07:10 AM
Al Richter

Just another walk in Leon's Park 54
Old 03-06-2018, 07:05 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Anyone up for taking a chance on a NM MT Red Heart Mantle?
http://candimanauctions.com/Mickey_M...kee-LOT38.aspx

How about a NM 52T Jackie?
http://candimanauctions.com/Jackie_R...yn_-LOT29.aspx

NM/MT Brooks rookie?
http://candimanauctions.com/Brooks_R...Bal-LOT57.aspx
To me those look like three fraudulent listings. So much for making a new start.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:11 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
To me those look like three fraudulent listings. So much for making a new start.
Obviously, I am not a card guy as most of you know.
But I do read some threads on this side from time to time.
"This card appears to be" from the OP's description on his website is all the wording I think anyone would need to know where he is coming from.
To offer those cards, non-graded, in a "major" internet auction is certainly telling.
Why do these people even come on Net54 and try to defend themselves? This board is way too smart to let anyone come on here and try to fool us.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 03-06-2018, 07:38 AM
James
James Kin.chen

Someone mention that this auction house has been around since 2011. I can't find anything about past auctions. Have they ever sold ball cards? They have 300 followers on Twitter. I think it is great that this is posted here on Net54 but what percent of their bidders will ever know about their relationship with battlefield? The images in the auction still look to be photoshopped. 50 year old and older cards with no blemishes are very tough to find. There is a reason that the cards are not graded.
James
Old 03-06-2018, 07:44 AM
Peter Spaeth

So we have an auction of mostly ungraded cards, from Battlefield's inventory, by family members. Why would anyone be concerned? To the OP: if you really want to distance yourself from Battlefield, get these high end looking cards graded first. That would serve you much better than talk.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 03-06-2018 at 07:45 AM.
Old 03-06-2018, 09:02 AM
Ro.b Gui.1fo.y1e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
So we have an auction of mostly ungraded cards, from Battlefield's inventory, by family members. Why would anyone be concerned? To the OP: if you really want to distance yourself from Battlefield, get these high end looking cards graded first. That would serve you much better than talk.

Agreed or clearly state the cards are altered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-06-2018, 09:04 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYYFan63 View Post
Agreed or clearly state the cards are altered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As was mentioned by someone, Battlefield's biggest issue wasn't necessarily trimmed cards, it was cards scanned to look two grades better than they were.

Old 03-06-2018, 08:06 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkheat View Post
Someone mention that this auction house has been around since 2011. I can't find anything about past auctions. Have they ever sold ball cards? They have 300 followers on Twitter. I think it is great that this is posted here on Net54 but what percent of their bidders will ever know about their relationship with battlefield? The images in the auction still look to be photoshopped. 50 year old and older cards with no blemishes are very tough to find. There is a reason that the cards are not graded.
James
Maybe Battlefield's scanner came with the inventory?

Old 03-06-2018, 08:11 AM
je.sse @rnot

Worf summed up my thoughts on this thread and the OP pretty well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg worf.jpg (42.7 KB, 728 views)
Old 03-06-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkheat View Post
James
I can see how it might be confusing, but the previous comment was just that Daniel owned or registered the name Candiman, Inc., not necessarily the auction house. The auction house appears to be brand new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastmode View Post
Exactly. Looks like his name is Daniel Battles. He's had Candiman, Inc. since 2011. I'm guessing Candiman Auctions is rolled into his vast conglomerate, similar to Berkshire. Smoke and mirrors. This whole story is hard to believe, IMO. If you're buying anything in this auction, you're begging to be screwed.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:30 AM
Ben North

One question for Candiman Auctions. Do you or anybody associated with the auction house or the consignors shill bid their own or any other listings? I just want a simple yes or no answer. Thank you.

Now to be clear I am not asking if it is legal or illegal in your area. It has been pointed out by a member(auction house owner) that it is perfectly legal in his area. I am asking if you are allowing it in your auctions.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
One question for Candiman Auctions. Do you or anybody associated with the auction house or the consignors shill bid their own or any other listings? I just want a simple yes or no answer. Thank you.

Now to be clear I am not asking if it is legal or illegal in your area. It has been pointed out by a member(auction house owner) that it is perfectly legal in his area. I am asking if you are allowing it in your auctions.
Hi Ben,

Absolutely not.

Thanks,

Daniel
Old 03-06-2018, 10:31 AM
Jay Cee

I don't understand why you don't have any card worth more than 100.00 graded. That is hurting your auction and your consignor big time with todays landscape. The first thing most people think seeing a raw high end card is ..... Whats wrong with it, and why isn't it graded?

Knowing your Mom and Dad's history, you should make sure your first auction goes off without a hitch. Most AHs offer their consignors a grading option where its done for free or at their cost.

I think you should suspend your auction, send in all your high end cards to a TPG, and then start over. You are now in the auction business where you are supposed to know your industry. Not too mention the best way to maximize your consignors investment and at the same time protect your customer the buyer. Don't act like you found a big box of cards at the local storage war auction, and then you are just selling as-is and not graded. You can't play that card, or maybe you can but it most likely wont fly on this forum.

Last edited by BeanTown; 03-06-2018 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Mom and Dad and not Brother.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:52 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I agree.
I don't think those descriptions fly. I can't imagine auctioning raw NRMT - MT cards which I know, or should reasonably know, are altered and not mentioning it. IF it isn't criminally wrong it seems it is ethically wrong.Those high end cards should be in holders even in auctions with well established records, let alone brand new ones with dubious lineage. It is not being completely honest and transparent in my opinion. Here is the entire Mantle description of the card itself. Now if they went onto say something like - "WE believe this card to be altered", then that might be more like it. BTW, I don't disagree with their description(s). They just don't go far enough.

This particular card up for auction is New York Yankees Hall of Fame legend Mickey Mantle. This card appears to be in NM-MT condition with no creases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanTown View Post
I don't understand why you don't have any card worth more than 100.00 graded. That is hurting your auction and your consignor big time with todays landscape. The first thing most people think seeing a raw high end card is ..... Whats wrong with it, and why isn't it graded?

Knowing your Mom and Dad's history, you should make sure your first auction goes off without a hitch. Most AHs offer their consignors a grading option where its done for free or at their cost.

I think you should suspend your auction, send in all your high end cards to a TPG, and then start over. You are now in the auction business where you are supposed to know your industry. Not too mention the best way to maximize your consignors investment and at the same time protect your customer the buyer. Don't act like you found a big box of cards at the local storage war auction, and then you are just selling as-is and not graded. You can't play that card, or maybe you can but it most likely wont fly on this forum.

Last edited by Leon; 03-06-2018 at 12:11 PM. Reason: clarification