NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 09-22-2016, 01:47 PM
Nick Barnes

Default Your picks for Individual MLB Awards for 2016!

Who do you think should win MVP, Cy Young and Rookie of the Year for both leagues?

my choices!

AL:

MVP- Trout

Cy Young- Kluber

ROY- Michael Fulmer

NL:

MVP- Bryant

Cy Young- Scherzer

ROY- Corey Seager
Old 09-22-2016, 03:24 PM

AL:

MVP: Trout
CY: Tanaka
ROY: Gary Sanchez

NL:

MVP: Arenado
CY: Scherzer
ROY: Seager
Old 09-22-2016, 04:28 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

AL:

MVP: Betts
CY: Porcello

NL:

MVP: Bryant

I can't believe I am picking two Red Sox in the AL, but I think they deserve it.
Kinda stuck on NL cy winner, many pitchers are really close...Bumgarner, Hendricks, Lester, Jansen, Fernandez maybe some love for Kershaw or Arrietta.

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 09-22-2016, 05:15 PM
Nick Barnes

Quote:
Originally Posted by familytoad View Post
AL:

CY: Porcello

NL:

I can't believe I am picking two Red Sox in the AL, but I think they deserve it.
Kinda stuck on NL cy winner, many pitchers are really close...Bumgarner, Hendricks, Lester, Jansen, Fernandez maybe some love for Kershaw or Arrietta.
yeah it's tough, Fernandez is the WAR leader, but Scherzer is right there and I think was the better overall pitcher. Hendricks has a claim too IMO (but I think he and Arrietta will split too many Cub votes for either to win)
Old 09-22-2016, 08:22 PM
Al Wright

AL: MVP - Betts
Cy Young - Kluber
Rookie - Sanchez

NL: MVP - Murphy
Cy Young - Fernandez
Rookie - Seager
Old 09-22-2016, 08:38 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

AL MVP - Betts
AL CY - Kluber
ROY - Fulmer

NL MVP - Murphy
NL CY - Scherzer
ROY - Seager

What am I missing in the votes for Trout as the MVP?
Old 09-22-2016, 08:48 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRfan1 View Post
AL MVP - Betts
AL CY - Kluber
ROY - Fulmer

NL MVP - Murphy
NL CY - Scherzer
ROY - Seager

What am I missing in the votes for Trout as the MVP?
The fact that he is the best all around player in the league, and in baseball, and this from a Boston fan.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-22-2016 at 08:49 PM.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:52 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravos4evr View Post
yeah it's tough, Fernandez is the WAR leader, but Scherzer is right there and I think was the better overall pitcher. Hendricks has a claim too IMO (but I think he and Arrietta will split too many Cub votes for either to win)
Not to mention a guy named Lester at 18-4 and 2.36. Would anyone have believed a couple of months ago that one could legitimately say Arietta was only the third best pitcher on the Cubs?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-22-2016 at 08:56 PM.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:57 PM
qu@n nguy3n

betts is around 30% better than league avg as a hitter, trout is 70%, so he's betts on steroids...and trout plays at a more premium position (altho betts can certainly play CF also).

AL mvp--trout
nl mvp--bryant
nl roy-- seager unanimous

don't really care about the other clusterf*(* awards, seems like a down year for pitching too bad kershaw got hurt no one else really that dominant. sanchez needs another month playing time to really get some al roy consideration.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:01 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Where are you getting that? According to ESPN Fernandez isn't even in the top 10
for WAR in the NL, and Scherzer leads.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/pitchi...6/seasontype/2

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-22-2016 at 09:03 PM.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:28 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Arguably, Trout may be the best all around player, but that doesn't translate to him getting the MVP award each year.

The numbers just aren't there this year for Trout.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:56 PM

Default The Angel Fish

Trout is leading the league in OPS+ (on-base plus slugging, adjusted to account for the park he plays in); and that understates how good he's been, since he is also leading the league in on-base percentage. (Which is more important than slugging percentage.)

He's already over 10 bWAR. It is, according to bWAR, already the 48th greatest position-player season of all time (tied with Hornsby 1927, Rosen 1953, Ruth 1928, and Speaker 1912), and he's still got something like a week and a half left to add on to that.

Trout should be running away with this one. The Angels stink though, and the voters care about that (despite explicit instructions not to), so he probably won't win it.
Old 09-22-2016, 10:19 PM
qu@n nguy3n

Quote:
Arguably, Trout may be one of the best players through his age 25 season ever, but that doesn't translate to him getting the MVP award each year.

you're looking at the wrong numbers. haven't you been following what the kc front office has been doing for the last few years? they're one of the forerunners of the analytics movement in baseball, guess it didn't trickle down to the fans.

edit: i fixed your post for u

Last edited by chaddurbin; 09-22-2016 at 10:21 PM.
Old 09-23-2016, 01:43 AM
Nick Barnes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Where are you getting that? According to ESPN Fernandez isn't even in the top 10
for WAR in the NL, and Scherzer leads.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/pitchi...6/seasontype/2
the only WAR I use : fangraphs

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.asp...ter=&players=0

it uses FIP instead of ERA+ and tho pitcher war is nowhere near as solid as batter war, I prefer FIP. ymmv
Old 09-23-2016, 06:32 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
you're looking at the wrong numbers. haven't you been following what the kc front office has been doing for the last few years? they're one of the forerunners of the analytics movement in baseball, guess it didn't trickle down to the fans.

edit: i fixed your post for u
No need to throw insults.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:22 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Arguably, Trout may be the best all around player, but that doesn't translate to him getting the MVP award each year.

It's a question of which numbers. Look at his on base percentage and WAR for example. As an example of a metric that doesn't show up in the glamour numbers, I believe he has walked 50 or 60 more times than Betts. That's pretty significant.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-23-2016 at 07:32 AM.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:26 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:

it uses FIP instead of ERA+ and tho pitcher war is nowhere near as solid as batter war, I prefer FIP. ymmv
That is a vastly different ranking. Interesting.

Old 09-23-2016, 07:29 AM
Peter Spaeth

If there was an award for biggest drop off the cliff, Bryce Harper would win easily. His batting average is down 90 points, his slugging average down 200, and his OPS down 300 from last year. Wow.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-23-2016 at 07:30 AM.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:52 AM

I vote Trout because he leads or is in the top 3 of nearly all advanced offensive statistics while doing the same thing on defense as a center fielder. He's also having a better season this year than he did when he did win the MVP.

Last edited by packs; 09-23-2016 at 07:52 AM.
Old 09-23-2016, 09:18 AM
qu@n nguy3n

Quote:
No need to throw insults.
wasn't meant to be an insult...just that they got to back to back world series winnning one doing it all on a small market budget against these teams with 200mil payrolls. you thought that was a fluke or luck?
Old 09-23-2016, 07:22 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Quote:
It's a question of which numbers. Look at his on base percentage and WAR for example. As an example of a metric that doesn't show up in the glamour numbers, I believe he has walked 50 or 60 more times than Betts. That's pretty significant.
No doubt Trout gets on base and is a huge benefit for the Angels. Betts gets on base too, not the same percentage as Trout though. In exchange for the walks, Betts has almost 40 more hits than Trout. I'll take those hits any day over a walk. Those walks only move a runner that is directly in front, one base. The extra hits that Betts has, moves runners on all bases and in some instances, two bases. I'll take that production every time.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:06 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
wasn't meant to be an insult...just that they got to back to back world series winnning one doing it all on a small market budget against these teams with 200mil payrolls. you thought that was a fluke or luck?
I have followed the team since 1972.

I have seen the team win and lose and been just as big of fan regardless. No bandwagoner here!

The margin for " error " with this team is slim. (You obviously know the game and probably know this, so I apologize if I am telling you something you know.)

That's why the staff goes 5 or 6 innings, and the pen takes over. Our SP is not very good, and the pressure on the pen to be the best, or even " record breaking " in their effectiveness each season is unreasonable. The pen failed miserably this season.

Heading into this season 2016, widely held belief here in KC was the team was better than last year.

The 2015 team had few if any injuries. Players had career years. The pen was the very best in the game, and arguably the best in history of the game.

Hosmer was the only player to repeat the performance of 2015, and even perform a little better in 2016. Everyone else had a drop in performance. The 2016 team also dealt with major injuries from major contributors from the 2015 team.

The problem I have had with this team is their " aggressiveness " at the plate. They swing at everything, and for the past two seasons, and maybe three, KC has been among the worst teams at swinging at pitches out of the strike zone. They are also among the worst in drawing walks, and as a result, the opposing pitcher throws fewer pitches and can go deeper in the game. KC SP has thrown the fewest innings of any staff for the past 2 or three years. The talent isn't there, it's in the pen.

These are a few things that I have seen, and others in KC have too. IMO this is not a blueprint for success, at least not longterm. Too many things have to go right, hence a slim margin for error.

So, while analytics played a part in KC success, a large part required things to go " right " and lucky that players had career years and remained healthy.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited by KCRfan1; 09-23-2016 at 08:10 PM.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:49 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
No doubt Trout gets on base and is a huge benefit for the Angels. Betts gets on base too, not the same percentage as Trout though. In exchange for the walks, Betts has almost 40 more hits than Trout. I'll take those hits any day over a walk. Those walks only move a runner that is directly in front, one base. The extra hits that Betts has, moves runners on all bases and in some instances, two bases. I'll take that production every time.
Trout has a higher slugging average.

Old 09-23-2016, 08:55 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Quote:
Trout has a higher slugging average.
LOL, ok...we're splitting hairs. Hard to go wrong with either player!

Tell me about the Bob Evans logo. Is there a story?
Old 09-23-2016, 09:16 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
LOL, ok...we're splitting hairs. Hard to go wrong with either player!

Tell me about the Bob Evans logo. Is there a story?
True that. Both have had great years. The logo? A nod to the banned Mr. Evans, naturally. Sincere or sarcastic? In the eye of the beholder.

Old 09-24-2016, 08:23 AM
P. Sp.ec.tor

You can only work with what the pitcher is gonna give you - and my hats off to both of them for recognizing such. Trout has more walks because of the Angels anemic lineup - not a knock on Puljos, it just is. Betts gets more hits because who ate you going to pitch around in that lineup? Angels have a -33 run differential and Boston +189!

As far as Mr. Evans, This beholder's eye sees your avatar as making him a martyr for everything that is cruel and unjust about Net54
Old 09-25-2016, 12:20 PM
qu@n nguy3n

nl cy--jofer...rip big guy may there be more players like you and less redasses like madbum and mccann.

re royals: their projection for this year had them miss the playoffs, so they are what they are...although they way overshot their projection last year. of course we all know baseball is very random and small sample size luck vary season by season...so the smart front offices are pushing .5-2% edges to tilt the math in their favors against the randomness. that's why the diamondbacks and angels will always suck as long as they keep hiring old-school guys who'd rather settle the bean ball score than actually look at l/r splits.

edit: it's also a weird take that somehow the best player is NOT the most valuable. everyone agrees trout is the best, he gives your team 10wins every year...but he's not as valuable as the other guys who measures out at 8, 7, and even 5 wins. so ortiz only gives you 5 wins, but his fiery speeches somehow makes up the other 5 wins in the standing.

Last edited by chaddurbin; 09-25-2016 at 12:26 PM.
Old 09-25-2016, 01:01 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

I don't know about the rookies to make a guess, but for the others:

AL
CYA: Head says Kluber, heart says Porcello, going to go with Kluber.

NL
CYA: Scherzer
Old 10-01-2016, 04:18 PM
qu@n nguy3n

From Bob Nightengale covering baseball for USA Today: The three finalists voted on by the players for their Player of Year Award: Jose Altuve, Mookie Betts and David Ortiz...

So this proves the people actually playing the game knows as much about baseball as a casual fan. No wonder important front office decision makers like epstein are making 10mil a year now.
Old 10-01-2016, 05:44 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:

Ah, but even Fangraphs has a flaw. The pitcher who is leading the majors in Fangraphs WAR doesn't even appear on their leader chart...
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 10-01-2016, 08:46 PM
Nick Barnes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Ah, but even Fangraphs has a flaw. The pitcher who is leading the majors in Fangraphs WAR doesn't even appear on their leader chart...
check the table to the right there ,it's listing only people who qualify for the ERA title (162 innings pitched) if you lower the required innings it will show em all!
Old 10-02-2016, 10:00 AM
Scott Russell

I know, but WAR is basically a counting stat and not a rate stat, the fact that someone has missed enough time to not be official but still has the highest WAR among pitchers is mind-blowing.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 10-02-2016, 10:57 AM
Nick Barnes

true, but pitcher WAR does have some issues as it undervalues ground ball pitchers a fair bit, it's something they are trying to work on.

I tend to think that the pitcher who threw more innings with similar numbers should win. (BTW, Syndegaard tied Kershaw for WAR) BUT, I think with Sherzer's 40 more inn. pitched, half a K per 9 better rate and similar enough other stuff, he's your Cy Young winner for the NL. (tho, Syndegaard had the most 'unlucky" BABIP against which probably means he was the best pitcher overall, but no voter is going to look at that)
Old 10-02-2016, 11:13 AM
ThreadKiller

Papi.

38 HR, 127 RBI, .317 BA, .625 SP, 1.028 OPS, and 48(!) freakin' doubles on a division winner, and potential WS-bound/champion team...

all this from a 40 year old gets MY vote.

JMO, and YMMV, but...one helluva "retirement" season, and seemingly valuable to his team.

DS

Old 10-02-2016, 01:42 PM
Brandon Bailey

Al
MVP Trout
CY Britton
Roy Fullmer

NL
MVP Arenando
CY Fernandez
Roy seager
Old 10-05-2016, 09:34 AM