NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-19-2007, 02:19 PM
Administrator

Default What Is On Your Dream List?

Posted By: Dan Bretta

List them all and maybe tell us why these items are on your "Dream List"...how attainable do you think they are?

-Nebraska Indians Baseball Uniform: I don't think this is very attainable unless I can find a family member who has something...I have only conversed with one person whose great grandfather played for the NI and the family only had one cabinet photo. Apparently he never talked about his time with the NI with anyone in the family and it was a great mystery to them. Less than 1% chance in my lifetime.

-1950s Lincoln Chiefs uniform: This one I think is attainable...I just haven't run into the right person yet...I would put a Lincoln Athletics uniform in this category too, but from my understanding there is no difference in the uniforms of the Lincoln A's and the Philadelphia A's of the same time period...and that all of those uniforms in the Connie Mack owned minor league system were interchangeable. 50% chance.

-Snapshot photo of Babe Ruth in a Red Sox uniform: This one is clearly attainable, but I just have to pony up the cash for it and it would have to be a crystal clear image. 99% chance.

-Babe Ruth Autographed Baseball: Another one that is clearly attainable but I don't know that I'll ever spend that kind of money on a piece of memorabilia...I would definitely love to have one as I think it is the pinnacle item in any collection regardless of it's commonality. 10% chance.

Old 08-19-2007, 02:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Clint

That's a very good question Dan.

1)Babe Ruth chalk statue from Red Sox days, it's pictured in the Baseball Treasures book. The baseball card shop I went to as a kid had one. Chances of having the money and finding it 5-10%.

2)1913 World Tour broadside from Blue Rapids, Kansas baseball game. The town has one displayed in the bank. I would like it for it's historical signifigance to Kansas. Money and finding one make it extremely doubtful. Chances probably less than 1%.

3)Parade jacket, always loved the look of these. Chances are 20%.

4)Joe Wilhoit hitting streak medal from his time with Wichita. It was listed in Hunts Auctions but didn't sell. Chances are 50%.

Old 08-19-2007, 03:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Original Knickerbocker rules, drawn up on September 23, 1845. Nobody knows where they are or if they still exist.

Dan- if I may change the subject, this phenom the Yankees have, Joba Chamberlain, is from Lincoln, Nebraska. Did you know that?

Edited to add the 1845 rules are clearly unattainable.

Old 08-19-2007, 04:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike H

I'm going to focus only on pieces that may be attainable for me. I just can't put energy into dreaming about a Ruth gamer or Christy Mathewson single signed ball. These aren't in any particular order.

-Joe Jackson full sized decal bat. I believe decal bats are among the most beautiful pieces of memorabilia available a Jackson with dark finish would be the ultimate for me. Wagner would be a close second.

-Spalding Catcher trophy. I have seen individual trophies that rival the Spalding catcher, but they may be one of a kind. Few trophies combine scale, design excellence,intricate details, and head turning power like the catcher.

-A first generation Ruth photo from the early 20s in uni, swinging a bat in Yankee stadium.

-A snow white Goldsmith one inch web with bold stamping. I love anything that dates from the cross logo era for Goldsmith and white gloves are gorgeous.

-This White Sox Pennant dates from the best era of pennants (1910-1920). There are many others from this era I love, but the script, leaping player with killer uni and the ball flying toward his glove, and nice large format make this example one of my favorites.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 08-19-2007, 04:27 PM
Administrator

Barry, I do know of Joba Chamberlain...he played for the University of Nebraska and was an All-American. He has an interesting story..he came out of Lincoln Northeast high school with little prospects, his high school coach Bill Fagler who was also my junior high school PE teacher tried to find a school that would take him and they got him into the U of Neb. Kearney which is a D2 school. He had an ERA of 5.50+, but he had an exceptional fastball and he transferred to the U of Nebraska where Rob Childress turned him into a fine pitcher. What he is doing right now with that devastating slider is unreal though...I never saw him pitch like that when he was here. It is hard for me to wish him too much success though since he plays for the Yankees and my favorite team is the Red Sox.

as a sidenote Lincoln now has two guys in the majors (the other is Alex Gordon of KC) when they hadn't had a single player in the majors since Fred Beebe last played for Cleveland in 1916.

Old 08-19-2007, 05:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

He's already a big fan favorite. He throws 100 MPH and has yet to give up a run. The Yankees are thinking when Mariano retires, he may be their next closer. We'll see how long he keeps it up.

Old 08-19-2007, 06:16 PM
Administrator

I think he'll be a starter next year.

Old 08-19-2007, 07:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: brock

1)A 1978 yankee team signed baseball because that was my dads favorite team when he grew up. And i think that would be a great gift one day for him. I have almost gotten it for him once but was outbidded on ebay.

2)A 1930's yankee team signed baseball. With great auto's of Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig. I just love to read about those teams.

3)A game used bat from Lou Gehrig because he was a great man and also "the luckest man on the face of this earth".

4)A time machine to go back to the 20's and 30's.

5)Also Joe Jackson game used cleats from the 1919 world series.

I also want to add that i would like to have the Larry Berra game used bat back if i could it was from 1950-53. Really rare item. And i sold it and now theres been a tiny hole missing in my life.

Old 08-19-2007, 07:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Shawn Chambers

Hey Dan,

Just curious if you have ever seen a Nebraska Indians uniform in person?? Do they exist in a Nebraska museum somewhere. Do you have any clue as to the number extant?

Shawn

Old 08-19-2007, 08:44 PM
Administrator

Shawn, I have never seen one and I doubt any exist in a museum or collection...there may be one in a family somewhere that was passed down??? I have a feeling though that the players were not allowed to keep the uniforms since the team was not like a town team where a guy would buy his own uniform, but it was a touring team with players coming and going all the time. I have seen a postcard of the Nebraska State Penitentiary team where you can clearly see the ghost letters "Nebraska Indians" on the front of one of the player's jersey so I think they may have been given away to be reused.

Old 08-20-2007, 07:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

My list focuses on baseball book related items:

1. Dust jacket from Won in the Ninth by Mathewson.
2. Dust jacket from The Bride and the Pennant by Frank Chance
3. Any painting done for early baseball book covers. I have only seen one, done for Barbour's Infield Rivals, and it was spectacular.

1 and 2 I haven't seen in 18 years of looking.

Max

Old 08-20-2007, 10:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Keith

Dan, you many have already tried this, but if not it may be worthwhile.
You could try to use a site like ancestry.com to try to track down the ancestors of Nebraska Indians players. This would probably be difficult but it could prove fruitful if you contacted them and expressed your interest in the team and quest for anything related to them. I know a poster on the Football forum mentioned he acquired alot of material that way.

Old 08-20-2007, 06:54 PM
Administrator

Max, do you read all the books you collect? I tried a couple old fiction baseball books, but they didn't hold my interest.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

Mike

I read few of them. Like cards and other memorabilia, I collect the books mostly for their visual appeal. Most of the key non-fiction books have been reprinted, so I buy and read those copies. Most of the fiction is so palpably bad, reading one is often enough.

Max

Old 08-21-2007, 10:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan

Hi Dan,

I read the board regularly but rarely post. I noticed your interst in Lincoln Chiefs and Nebraska Indians items. I saw something this past weekend that may have been of interest to you but I am not sure if it was even a Lincoln Chiefs or Nebraska Indians item. It was a large photo of the 1912 Lincoln team. It had a picture of the players head at there respective position. There were no names listed. It had a large either MI or NI (the letters were on top of each other) at the bottom and middle of the photo and at the top it said something like Lincoln team of 1912. Would this be the Lincoln Chiefs or Nebraska Indians or some other team? It was a pretty large photo (maybe 10 x 14) and pretty expensive - $265.00 so I didn't purchase it. I asked for some History of the photo and it was purchased from the estate of an old umpire who umped in the league during the time. I didn't have my camera with me so I didn't get a photo. Any clue as to what this is? I appreciate your time.

Dan

Old 08-21-2007, 10:43 AM
Administrator

I have a couple of dream items. The first one would be the Very Large Minnesota Vikings Promo Bobblehead doll. Any team is almost impossible to find. I also would like the small Kail down lineman of the Vikings. This is a difficult piece but not impossible. I am also looking for a couple of various Hamms Beer Minnesota Twins advertising pieces put out in 1965.

Dan

Old 08-21-2007, 10:50 AM
Administrator

Dan, where did you see this picture at? Did the players look Native American? Doubtful that it was the Nebraska Indians even though they were based out of Lincoln they never used "Lincoln" on any photos that I have seen. It's possible that it was from Michigan as there is a Lincoln there. Also doubtful that it was the Lincoln Western League team (The Railsplitters) as they wouldn't have used either "NI" or "MI" for anything. Anyone on there show a passing resemblance to Ty Cobb? His brother Paul played for Lincoln in 1912. Thanks for looking out for me!

Old 08-21-2007, 11:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

I am more of a card guy than memorabilia guy, but I do like adding things from time to time...

1) Game-used anything from my cousins, Lee Handley and Gene Handley. Maybe 10% chance of acquiring

2) Game-used item of significance from one of the game's important greats, such as Wagner, Anson, Gehrig, Ruth, Young, Shoeless Joe, Jackie Robinson, Aaron, etc. Maybe 0.05% chance of acquiring, since this largely depends upon my winning a large lottery.

3) Other fun Game-Used eqpt would be fun to have (40% chance):
Ozzie Smith's glove
Rickey Henderson's baserunning gloves or cleats

Old 08-21-2007, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Hi Dan,

I saw the Lincoln piece at a large flea market that we have hear in Minnesota. The dealer who owned the item was from Iowa.

Dan

Old 08-21-2007, 11:51 AM
Administrator

Dan, thanks.

Jason, how distant are the Handley's to you? Do you know their kids, or grandkids? I would think that the family has to have something from their playing days.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Aaron M.

While I'm looking for a ton of early 1900's programs and baseballs and pinbacks, these two items are on my "dream list" (and have been for several years), as in I would drop whatever I was doing and pay any price to get 'em:

This pin:

And this postcard:

Old 08-22-2007, 09:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

my connection to them (that side of the extended family) passed away nearly 25 years ago(before my teen years), and when that kinda thing happens, sometimes relationships just develop into those of strangers.

I could perhaps try to re-establish a connection someday, but it will be out of the blue for me to do it, and I don't want to do that simply for the purposes of acquiring memorabilia. we'll see...

Funny story: my grandfather (the connection) was finally able to make it to one of Lee's games when he was with the Pirates - he travelled down to Wrigley to see him play. What does Lee do? He gets tossed out of the game really early on for arguing with an ump...like so early, I don't think he even came to bat once! To have heard the story told, boy, was my grandpa pissed! If he were still alive today, and I could talk to him from the knowledge base I have now, I would try to console him that he saw HOFers play that day like the Waner brothers, and Honus and Pie Traynor were in the stadium as well...

Old 08-22-2007, 11:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: ramram

My dream list:

1) Team scorebook from the 1860's with some of the big names/teams from that time period. Chances - about 50/50 if I ever want to throw about a years worth of collecting into one item.

2) My son's 2023 Topp's rookie baseball card. Chances - changes daily depending on how he did in his most recent little league game.

Rob M.

Old 10-20-2007, 04:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Steinberg

Mike:

You and I are on the same page.... I have been trying to nail down the Spalding Catcher Trophy and that Beautiful Green Oversized White Sox Pennant for a long long time. I have been the under-bidder on that pennant twice, and now don't know if it will ever resurface. I consider that to be the most beautiful pennant ever made, and one of the only true voids in my pennant collection.

I do have the Joe Jackson full-sized decal bat. You also may be interested in a glove I currently have on ebay. It's a smaller 1910s light tan Suede (Buckskin) Goldsmith Glove with a perfect silver "Cross" logo... NRMT as well!

My other fantasy piece is the 1920s Yankees Pennant from the Halper Sale, with the players heads portrayed, and lined up along the length of the pennant. I have only seen this one twice in 20 years of collecting...

Old 10-20-2007, 05:29 AM
Administrator

Mark,
I would love to see your pennant collection. If you have photos, would you be willing to email a few to me (mjkm90@earthlink.net)? Also, what is your ebay id? I'll check out your auctions.

Old 10-20-2007, 07:04 AM
Administrator

I'm guessing this is his ebay auction?

http://tinyurl.com/29jxsn

Old 10-20-2007, 10:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Steinberg

Yes... that's the listing... thanks! I just thought it might be worth a look, based on what you described earlier. If you are interested, please keep in mind that it's a slightly smaller glove... 7 1/2 X 8 1/2".

It is amazingly clean for a buckskin glove. This material just seems to be beaten up if and when you find these- I think the suede type leather must have attracted more dirt and grime (and was apparently much harder to clean).

I am really a collector and not a seller. I only sell stuff when the house starts to resemble an obstacle course (and when October property taxes are coming due...)

Old 10-20-2007, 06:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bert Wright

Where do I begin?!! I would love:
-Any pre WWI Red Sox pennant. They're out there. I just need to pull the trigger. 50%
-A Red Sox 1910s button up sweater. Tough and expensive 5%
-An intricate 19th century trophy bat or ball. 5%
-Jimmy Collins 1907 Game used Tie-up Jersey Boston Americans .001%
-Tuxedo baseball ad/trolley signs 20%
-Autograph Wayne "Rasty" Wright St. Louis Browns 80%
-Luis Gonzalez's gum...I fear I'll never get this!

Old 10-20-2007, 09:36 PM
Administrator

Bert, did you happen to see this Red Sox sweater from a few years back?

http://www.lelands.com/bid.aspx?lot=598&auctionid=603

Old 10-20-2007, 09:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Greg Theberge

Dan and Bert,

About five years back, Peter Weiss auctions had this sweater of Elmer Steele's for auction:

This was before I was collecting Sox material so it never came home (couldn't afford it anyway). My dad and I came home with the best piece in our beer collection that day, however.

Not the sweater above, but the same style

Good luck with your hunt Bert

Old 10-21-2007, 07:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bert Wright

What great sweaters. $19,000 is a lot so I'll stick with my M&N repro. Photo looks like spring training at Hot Springs. You would think that some amazing stuff would be tucked away and come out of Hot Springs. I've never heard of anything of note come out of there and I have even been there to search...and of course...nothing. The town seems to have forgotten that part of their past as hardly anyone knew much about that great era and the role their town had in it.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: bruce Dorskind

1. Round Album Poster- two have sold in the last 20

2. Australian World Tour Poster- only one has ever been discovered

3. Cracker Jack Advertising Poster- we turned one down in 1982 for $25,000
Today it would bring close to $150,000

4. Sol White's Colored Baseball -available but we only want a pristine copy

5. Babe Comes Home Movie Poster- we were an underbidder at two auctions

6. Academy Award from "The Pride of the Yankees" Barry Halper out bid us in 1977
and we were an underbidder at the Sotheby;s Halper auction

If anyone has these items for sale- please contact us privately

Bruce Dorskind
America's Toughest Want List

Old 10-21-2007, 09:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David Atkatz

Which one of you handles acquisitions?

Old 10-21-2007, 09:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Greg Theberge

Me, myself and I, and that guy my wife married wouldn't mind finding one of these babies

I have no idea where I got this scan. The strange thing is that it's a Detroit beer. That I can't figure out.

Old 10-21-2007, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Bruce, I thought the Academy did not allow their awards to be bought and sold? Didn't Mastro have to pull one of their lots earlier this year because of that?

Old 10-21-2007, 12:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris David

This would be the ultimate item for my Hall of Fame collection.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 10-21-2007, 04:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

thats a beautiful pin (even to this yankee fan).

hope you find one.

Old 10-21-2007, 10:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brett

Probably some game used stuff.
-Christy Mathewson game worn hat.
-Eddie Plank warm up sweater
-Addie Joss benefit game used ball

-Cy Young game won uniform
-Joe Jackson game worn uniform
-Ty Cobb game used glove