NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-08-2018, 10:17 AM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Default PSA advertisement via email for cardbuyer.com?

Just received an email from PSA promoting cardbuyer.com if you want to sell your collection. Claims they are collectors and not dealers... Seems somewhat weird, maybe fishy...collector paying highest prices... lol...

Auction houses I can understand but private collectors being able to advertise via PSA?

Possible conflict of interest for a public company?

Thoughts?
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:22 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

PSA has ads and promotions for dealers and auction houses, so I don't know how this would be much different.
Old 11-08-2018, 01:09 PM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
PSA has ads and promotions for dealers and auction houses, so I don't know how this would be much different.
+1. Agreed

Last edited by Stampsfan; 11-08-2018 at 01:10 PM.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:34 PM
je.sse @rnot

Who would want to advertise with PSA of they aren't buying or selling cards or signed memorabilia?
Old 11-09-2018, 03:37 AM
Glyn Parson

Default Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
Who would want to advertise with PSA of they aren't buying or selling cards or signed memorabilia?
I would assume a collector would in fact be buying Or do you think he just collects bills for advertising? And to the person seeing this as something wrong. Are you freaking kidding me? How is this any different than an auction house or dealer advertising? What a dumb inference to make. We sure can find the stupid crap to complain about.
Old 11-09-2018, 06:40 AM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
I would assume a collector would in fact be buying Or do you think he just collects bills for advertising? And to the person seeing this as something wrong. Are you freaking kidding me? How is this any different than an auction house or dealer advertising? What a dumb inference to make. We sure can find the stupid crap to complain about.
It would seem as a public company PSA should stick to grading and improving there product and processes and not worry about creating secondary markets that really don't involve them especially when the ad buyer does not provide any contact info, address etc. Who knows who these people might be and what they may be trying to accomplish with the sports card market???

Auction houses and dealers are advertising to accomplish one thing and that is to get inventory to sell and or auction off to the highest bidder. There is a clear delineation of their motives. This PSA ad there are some gray areas...
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.

Last edited by chalupacollects; 11-09-2018 at 06:41 AM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 11-09-2018, 06:46 AM
Joe H
Joe He.rne

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalupacollects View Post
It would seem as a public company PSA should stick to grading and improving there product and processes and not worry about creating secondary markets that really don't involve them especially when the ad buyer does not provide any contact info, address etc. Who knows who these people might be and what they may be trying to accomplish with the sports card market???

Auction houses and dealers are advertising to accomplish one thing and that is to get inventory to sell and or auction off to the highest bidder. There is a clear delineation of their motives. This PSA ad there are some gray areas...
As a public company they're doing what they should be doing - driving revenue and profit by selling ad space to the highest bidder.
Old 11-09-2018, 06:47 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Although I think Glyn went overboard in his criticism I agree with him. There is no issue with PSA putting out ads for collectors or any person or business as long as they are above board in what they are doing. That is my 1/2 cent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalupacollects View Post

Attached Images
File Type: jpg n284.jpg (79.4 KB, 271 views)
Old 11-09-2018, 07:36 AM
Peter Spaeth

Welcome to CardBuyer.com. My name is Rich, my 9 year old son and I are passionate about collecting vintage sports cards especially hockey and baseball cards!

What happened to people using their full names when doing business? I mean, I don't know who half the people selling big cards on ebay are, no names given.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:49 AM

The firms that pay PSA for advertising, also pay PSA for grading. The next time you see a PSA graded card and wonder "How did that card deserve that grade"? Could it be a return on those advertising dollars spent?
Old 11-09-2018, 10:04 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Welcome to CardBuyer.com. My name is Rich, my 9 year old son and I are passionate about collecting vintage sports cards especially hockey and baseball cards!

What happened to people using their full names when doing business? I mean, I don't know who half the people selling big cards on ebay are, no names given.
I guess I agree with your post, but I approve of him keeping his son incognito. There can't be too many Rich's in the world.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 11-09-2018 at 10:04 AM.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:48 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
You can not tell me that guy will only buy and buy and promises he will NEVER sell your items that you sell him. Seems like a scam to me. Probably says that so he can get the market that doesn't want to deal with dealers.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:38 AM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
You can not tell me that guy will only buy and buy and promises he will NEVER sell your items that you sell him. Seems like a scam to me. Probably says that so he can get the market that doesn't want to deal with dealers.
Gonna have to agree here with this. It appears I have done business with cardbuyer.com. Here is their id on ebay, https://www.ebay.com/sch/cardbuyer20...1&_ipg=&_from=. Nothing wrong with someone who collects, who also sells, but the website makes it sound like they are JUST collecting and not selling. Sorta is misleading to those selling to them that think they are getting top dollar because they are the end users. People should always do their homework and know what their stuff is worth before they go to sell their stuff to anyone. This is just another example as to why. If you are happy with the price you are being paid then it does not matter who the person is that you are selling it to and what they will then do with your stuff.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:55 AM
Peter Spaeth

Pretty generic name how do you know it's same person, and the link is to someone who has almost no cards and a whole bunch of unrelated stuff.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 11-09-2018, 12:11 PM
Chase

Quote:
Pretty generic name how do you know it's same person, and the link is to someone who has almost no cards and a whole bunch of unrelated stuff.
He introduced himself as Rich and his email, which I will not post, would suggest they are the same people.
Old 11-09-2018, 12:38 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
He introduced himself as Rich and his email, which I will not post, would suggest they are the same people.
OK. He appears to only be selling a few very modest cards though, at least under his own ID. Now he could well be consigning major pieces and we would never know.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 11-09-2018 at 12:38 PM.
Old 11-09-2018, 02:09 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Audible laugh. I just clicked on the link and was surprised to find he's re-selling my company's products. Just doesn't seem the like the profile to broadcast a "will buy million dollar collections" message through PSA, but who knows?
Old 11-09-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:

I imagine his full name is Rich McMillions. Then again, I do have a Rich imagination.

Brian (McPoorHouse)
Old 11-09-2018, 02:44 PM
Chase

Quote:
OK. He appears to only be selling a few very modest cards though, at least under his own ID. Now he could well be consigning major pieces and we would never know.
I did not look at what he was selling very closely but I did look at his feedback for what he has sold. He may not be a full time dealer but it is clear from fb that he does sell cards. No crime but it his ad/website is slightly misleading. Considering the horror stories I have heard in the hobby, this is not even an honorable mention. Was just sharing info I happened to have. I see nothing wrong with PSA taking his money to reach collectors. He who pays more wins.