NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-10-2009, 07:19 PM
Dennis Winters

Default Visited the Alabama Sports Hall of Fame

I visited the Alabama Sports Hall of Fame a few weeks ago. Several interesting exhibits including the one of Ivy Paul Andrews (inducted in 1985). I loved the autographed photos of Lou and Babe. Also wouldn't mind having the pic of Lefty Gomez signed, "To my roomie Paul, Best Wishes, Lefty Gomez."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00227.jpg (75.4 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00228.jpg (72.8 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00225.jpg (75.7 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00226.jpg (78.1 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00224.jpg (72.6 KB, 110 views)
Old 08-10-2009, 07:28 PM
Dennis Winters

Default Other Photos as well

In the display, they had a trophy ball from the 1937 world series (Game 4). I didn't think that anyone made trophy balls that late.

They had a comic by Bob Coyne that ran in a Boston paper.

Finally, they had a signed photo from Gehrig's 2000th game celebration.

Made me wish I had a glass cutter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00223.jpg (77.8 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00220.jpg (70.5 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00218.jpg (73.1 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00221.jpg (68.3 KB, 107 views)
Old 08-10-2009, 10:10 PM
qualitycards

Dennis - Good stuff, thanks for the scans
Old 08-10-2009, 10:39 PM
Max Weder

Great stuff, but some of the photos don't look like they are in proper archival frames, as it looks like some damage is happening.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:40 AM
Rick P

Default Alabama Sports Hall of Fame

Max, I was going to hold my tongue when I saw this thread but you've hit on a big issue that deserves airing here. My father was a friend of Joe Sewell and became a regular visitor to the Alabama Hall back in the early 1980s. He attended several induction ceremonies and enjoyed the experience greatly. The Hall had an outstanding collection on many sports legends, including many uniforms, trophies, autographed pictures...cream of the crop stuff, as evidenced by the photos posted to start this thread. It is housed in a beautiful facility in the Civic Center in Birmingham...money was not an object in its creation.

Dad collected Joe Louis memorabilia. When he saw how little material there was on the Bomber at the Hall, he loaned many items for their display, including a beautiful copy of the 1938 Louis-Schmeling program, autographed tickets, newspapers with dramatic headlines, color pictures, etc. He was proud to improve the Louis display.

When I finally visited the hall in 2005, I was sickened to find that they used flourescent light tubes in all their showcases (presumably to control heat). I know there were also skylights and Dennis' posted photos show that the Yankee pictures are affect by direct sunlight (see reflections in the glass!). The light had bleached out almost all the colors on the program cover and badly browned many of the other items. (I've got photos somewhere and will post them later). The Louis display wasn't the only one affected...the color red is the first to go, and in the home state of the Crimson Tide that's not a good thing. I immediately spoke to Executive Director Bill Legg and expressed my concern and recommended purchase of UV sleeves to reduce the damage and consultation of experts to protect the material. He could not have been less interested in the subject.

I wonder how many priceless treasures are slowly destroyed by neglect like this. I'm sure the people in Birmingham didn't intend to harm these things but nevertheless the damage is done. It's still an amazing repository of stuff that could easily belong to Cooperstown, Canton, Canastota or Springfield, but of course they will be more appreciated by visitors in Alababa.

The road to "Hall" may be paved with good intentions, but that experience convinced me that the fate of great collectibles rests with private collectors, not museums.

Last edited by Oldtix; 08-11-2009 at 06:17 AM. Reason: forgot to finish!
Old 08-11-2009, 06:45 AM
Brock

Whos bat is that next to the trophy ball.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:17 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Says "Tony Lazzeri" on the bat. Is this a gamer?
Old 08-11-2009, 12:00 PM
Brock

I thought it said Tony Lazzeri but i was not sure. By the looks of it i would say it is a gamer because i dont know if they ever made a store mdoel of his.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:38 PM
Dennis Winters

Default Bat

Sorry I didn't get a better picture of the bat. The believe that the bat is a 37 world series gamer autogprahed by the entire team.