NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 06-22-2014, 10:20 PM
Ke.vin G.ray

Default 1979-1980 Topps Unopened price trends

I have collected unopened packs and boxes over the last 10 years or so. In just the last 6 months- 1 year, it seems like the prices of unopened 1979 and 1980 packs and boxes have gone through the roof. BBCE is commanding huge premiums on ebay, but even regular sellers are having lots of high sale prices. I guess i am perplexed for several reasons. First, why the recent jump? Neither set has recently experienced a major hall of fame inductee or major player death. What has sparked the timing of the increase? Second, why such a huge price for relatively abundant unopened product? Is a 15 card 1980 pack really worth $25-50 each? With the ability to source and obtain the set's most desireable cards in great shape for less than a pack's price, it doesnt make sense. The classic argument for buying unopened, being either the scarcity of the unopened product itself or the lack of high-grade examples of key cards making opening the product a reasonable lottery style gamble, just dont hold up. If you open a pack of 1950's-1960's, it is primarily for the experience of having done so. Who cares too much about 79 Topps? Does anyone think this is a bubble? I just have a really hard time thinking the supply has dwindled so dramatically that the prices are justified. When full cases are still available from time to time, and when full boxes are on ebay daily, i think the prices are silly.

As a secondary question, if we are seeing these price increases on 1979-1980, are similar increases on 1981-1983 a few years away?

Kevin

Last edited by tulsaboy; 06-22-2014 at 10:23 PM.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:59 PM
Larry More.y

I am not an unopened material collector, but I have also noticed some high asking prices for these years. My thought as to why the 79-80 unopened Topps material has skyrocketed is because the older material (up through 78) has become more limited in supply and collectors have moved onto years with more abundant supplies. Likely this increase in demand has been the cause of the price increase.

Several years back I bought a group of 86 Topps wax boxes and paid $5/box. Now they are selling for closer to $25/box. So to answer your question based on my experience, yes, 81-83s likely will see an increase in value in the coming years (once the "supply" of 79-80 "dries" up). However, with the 81-83s having an even greater supply than 79-80, the likely increased demand probably will not send the price as high as the 79-80 material.

Last edited by savedfrommyspokes; 06-23-2014 at 06:59 PM.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:43 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulsaboy View Post
Does anyone think this is a bubble?
Yes, a huge one...and about to pop.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:29 AM
Mike

From what I've seen, there seems to be a regular supply of these available...so to me it makes no sense why there would be a dramatic increase. My guess is a bubble. Time to sell the ones I have?

SixBallcards.com
Old 06-24-2014, 08:00 AM
Jason S!m@nds

It's not a bubble.

I used to think it was, but I realize now that unopened material is unique to all collectables in our hobby for two reasons:
  • It has some sort of intrinsic value (the cards inside), and
  • It has a receding supply (people continue to open it)

Resealers are the only thing keeping the price of a 1980 Topps box from hitting $2,000.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:15 AM
Al Richter

Default Packs

I do not collect unopened material per se but have a Topps and Fleer set run and keep at least one unopened pack with each set. Given all I have seen over the last few years I do not have any confidence in my ability to discern real from fake packs in general in today's market
Old 06-24-2014, 10:36 AM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhs5120 View Post
It's not a bubble.

I used to think it was, but I realize now that unopened material is unique to all collectables in our hobby for two reasons:
  • It has some sort of intrinsic value (the cards inside), and
  • It has a receding supply (people continue to open it)

Resealers are the only thing keeping the price of a 1980 Topps box from hitting $2,000.
+1.....however, if it were a bubble, then I guess the unopened material from the 50-60s would be just a bubble too.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:06 AM
Matt

I can't see anyone in their right mind ripping open those boxes at what they are costing these days. Is it possible some guys with money to burn just want to have some fun? Sure-- but I think that is the exception and not the rule. I have found that unopened collectors who pay these prices like to keep them unopened. I think they are cool, fun pieces.

The usual argument for their appreciation, namely being that supply is ever rapidly dwindling because people are ripping them like mad, strikes me as specious-- given what they cost, and how opening them essentially is a complete money loss. The contents are almost always OC or stained or have dinged corners. Then factor in how only an Ozzie 9+ or Rickey 10 or maybe alternatively a slew of high-grade HOFers is a jackpot, and you wind up needed the first layer of luck just to get a card(s) that is worthy of that grade, then you need a second layer of luck for PSA to slap that 9 or 10 on it. Which costs grading fees, too.

End of the day, I think prices all depend on who wants a piece, how badly/how much they love it, and what their budget is. So while I might not want a 1979 or 1980 box at all, and to me they're not worth much, another guy might pay a ton and thus that's what it was worth in that snapshot of time.

Last edited by MattyC; 06-25-2014 at 05:08 AM.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:55 AM
Jason S!m@nds

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
I can't see anyone in their right mind ripping open those boxes at what they are costing these days. Is it possible some guys with money to burn just want to have some fun? Sure-- but I think that is the exception and not the rule. I have found that unopened collectors who pay these prices like to keep them unopened. I think they are cool, fun pieces.

The usual argument for their appreciation, namely being that supply is ever rapidly dwindling because people are ripping them like mad, strikes me as specious-- given what they cost, and how opening them essentially is a complete money loss. The contents are almost always OC or stained or have dinged corners. Then factor in how only an Ozzie 9+ or Rickey 10 or maybe alternatively a slew of high-grade HOFers is a jackpot, and you wind up needed the first layer of luck just to get a card(s) that is worthy of that grade, then you need a second layer of luck for PSA to slap that 9 or 10 on it. Which costs grading fees, too.

End of the day, I think prices all depend on who wants a piece, how badly/how much they love it, and what their budget is. So while I might not want a 1979 or 1980 box at all, and to me they're not worth much, another guy might pay a ton and thus that's what it was worth in that snapshot of time.
I disagree with this. I believe a large portion (maybe 30-40%) of unopened sales go to people who plan on opening the packs and boxes - especially purchasers of loose packs.

Last year I sold 5 1979 Topps vending boxes to a man who opened them all.

It doesn't matter if it's a smart choice to open, people will do it anyway. Look at the collectors who open thousands of dollars worth of modern crap. Modern unopened generally averages a 20-30% return on investment and they eat it up. A 1975 Topps mini box right now has about a 50-75% ROI at $2,500 a box. It could go up to $4,000 or $5,000 and people will still open it.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:31 AM
Al Richter

Default Portions

I know in which portion I am hanging
Old 06-25-2014, 10:08 AM
Matt

I should qualify my statement by saying that the "high-end 70s and earlier unopened" is most likely remaining unopened. At 6k for a 1976 box, as an example, I don't see any remote return based on likely contents. For sure, someone may rip for the pleasure, and modern stuff is its own culture that I agree is all about the rip and big hit. But I think more buyers of the vintage unopened are keeping those boxes sealed, essentially keeping the supply relatively static.

This is purely anecdotal, but food for thought: I opened several mini boxes years ago and spent five years building a graded set. Also got to know all the other big mini set builders, and their ripping experiences. Given the condition of the cards and how OC they are out of the box, I can offer from experience that the average box is losing at least 50% of its value if cracked and the decent stuff sent in for grading-- talking about at today's wax box prices that is.

Last edited by MattyC; 06-25-2014 at 10:10 AM.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:01 PM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhs5120 View Post
I disagree with this. I believe a large portion (maybe 30-40%) of unopened sales go to people who plan on opening the packs and boxes - especially purchasers of loose packs.

Last year I sold 5 1979 Topps vending boxes to a man who opened them all.

It doesn't matter if it's a smart choice to open, people will do it anyway. Look at the collectors who open thousands of dollars worth of modern crap. Modern unopened generally averages a 20-30% return on investment and they eat it up. A 1975 Topps mini box right now has about a 50-75% ROI at $2,500 a box. It could go up to $4,000 or $5,000 and people will still open it.
While I've never been an active poster on the PSA boards, I have read them on and off. And I know a lot of people buy these boxes and open them to submit to PSA. Bubblebathgirl opens up a lot of late 70s cello boxes.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.