NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 03-18-2013, 07:42 AM
Bill Gregory

Default PSA cards. Do you have a grading range that you typically look for?

If there's one thing I've learned since joining this forum, it's to buy the card, and not the grade. That's a wonderful piece of advice that I now employ whenever I look at vintage auctions on Ebay.

But I would ask you guys that do buy graded cards (even if you do so only to free them from their plastic prisons): Is there a grade that you typically look for when buying? Do you start by looking at PSA 6's, and go from there, evaluating each card on sale. Or, do you look at 5's, and see if any of them, in your initial examination at least, might be of better quality?

I'm trying to find a happy medium between buying very fine quality vintage cards without breaking the bank. I'm not looking to ever sell these cards, but I do want to make sure that the cards I buy will maintain a strong resale value just in case the need to sell them were to ever arise.

I understand, too, that the grade range depends on the cards I look at. A 1952 Topps PSA 7 high number card will be expensive as hell, whereas a PSA 7 from the 1973 Topps set will be quite affordable.

I guess I'm just looking for some input from you veterans. I'm the nervous rookie, currently laboring away in AAA, getting ready to be called up to the Big Leagues, and I'd like to know what I should be looking for. Like the game of baseball itself, there are subtle nuances that newbies like me should learn. This is my dipping my toe in the pool before I jump in cannonball-style.

I don't know if that makes any sense. I hope it does!

Thank you!!

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.

Last edited by the 'stache; 03-18-2013 at 07:45 AM.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:25 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

I look for ungraded cards. I'll start by looking for corners that are rather sharp ( this is foremost for me ), are there any defects in the card, then centering. Lastly I'll look at price, is it reasonable or a good deal. For graded cards, I'll look at 3's or 4's that I consider undergraded and follow the same criteria. I've been able to find nice cards ( with minor flaws ) at great prices using this approach. I collect for fun, and have no intention of selling my cards so I'm not as picky as an investor or one collecting " high grade " cards. I too buy the card not the holder. I've bought the holder once, a 1952 Topps PSA 9oc at what I consider a good price. Only two cards with this grade, none higher. If there was a 9 w/o qualifiers, I would have passed. I have read your post before Bill, and you seem fairly savvy. I'm sure I'm not sharing anything new to you. I'll be anxious to see what others look for, as we all vary in criteria.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:25 AM

Almost all of my collection is ungraded for a couple reasons.

1 - I got caught in the "Graded is better" frenzy and joined PSA 5-6 yrs ago, to get the best Lou Brock set on the registry. After paying a few hundred bucks to get cards graded, I got an epiphany - Why try to impress people I don't know by overpaying for graded cards or paying someone else to tell me what condition they are in?

2 - Low to middle graded cards are a lot more expensive than low to mid grade raw cards.

3 - If I sold a lot of cards on ebay, I would get some of them graded, especially the key HOF'ers. Probably not all the minor stars unless they were 6-7 or better. I doubt very many people are putting a PSA 4-5 62 Topps set together. Those folks will just do a set raw.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:10 AM
Bill Gregory

Thank you Lou and David both.

Lou, I take that as a compliment. Thank you. I feel I've gained a good amount of knowledge since first coming here, but taking that knowledge and actually applying it is something I have yet to do with vintage cards, as I have not really begun to buy them. I've carved my little niche in modern cards for the last two years, focusing on Bowman Chrome prospect autos. Most of them I've bought raw (a few Beckett graded when finding them raw in the condition I wanted was proving an exercise in frustration. The 2010 Bowman Chrome cards especially are notorious for surface scratching as they had a real quality control problem that year). I've assembled a really nice collection, and those cards have helped me enjoy baseball even more. But I'm conflicted, as I am wanting to buy the older cards of the players I've spent my entire life reading about. I've watched Ken Burns' Baseball so many times I've lost track..and I'm watching the entire series again now. I see Willie Mays flying back robbing Vic Wertz, I see Joe DiMaggio hitting in 56 straight, and Teddy Ballgame hitting .406 that same '41 season, and I get so excited. I think to myself "one day I'm going to own cards from both players". Now that I'm collecting again, this is something I can do until the day I kick the bucket, hopefully many years from now

David, I understand the graded card frenzy all too well. It's unbelievable to me how the slightest of differences between two cards can lead to such a drastic change in pricing. I got caught up in it, too for a time. I figured if I was going to buy a card that was just made, why settle for something that isn't perfectly centered when I don't have to. Thankfully that passed. I still look at a card closely before buying it, but if it's not perfect, I don't stress about it. But the experience really helped me develop my eye.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:16 PM
Br.ent !ngr@m
Br.ent Ing@am

Sometimes a graded 6 will sell for less than a card listed as nm-mt.

Personally, I look for grade 3-4 in cards that are typically out if my price range. For others, I scout the 5-6's for undergraded gems.
If I like the card, I get it, regardless of grade.
I recently passed on a SGC 4 1951 Mantle for an over graded BVG 3 (which came back from SGC as a 2). The price difference wasn't much, but the lower grade looked better to me, the 4 was off centered both ways.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:15 PM
Patrick N.

Default 5.5

I find the .5 "bump" cards are normally quite nice and oftentimes better than the cards 1 grade higher i.e. a 6.5 sometimes better than the 7, especially from older flips when standards were more lax...For resale, I think well-centered cards are safer. For example, I find this Mays 6.5 is better than many 7's...

Old 03-20-2013, 02:41 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Nice Mays Patrick. Well done. I too agree that .5's often look nicer than the next grade up.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:57 PM
Bob F.

Yowza! That Mays is beautiful.

I have quite a few graded cards, and I'm very happy with PSA 8 for almost any year, or at least through the 70s. The exceptions are:

1948-51 Bowman PSA 7
1952 Topps PSA 6
1953-1956 Topps PSA 7
1958-1959 Topps PSA 7
1962 Topps PSA 7
1971 Topps PSA 7
Old 03-22-2013, 06:11 PM
Chris

I usually look for cards in the PSA Authentic to PSA 1 range. I primarily collect Mantle cards and just cannot afford the higher grade examples. There is, however, something I like about a card that looks like it has really been enjoyed. I don't mind creases, small tears, etc., as long as it is presentable.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:24 AM

I like to target PSA 7s personally. I am currently working on a collection of Bob Gibson PSA 7s from 1959 to 1975. I've got 8 cards to go.

Last edited by varsitycollectibles; 03-28-2013 at 09:41 AM.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:58 AM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

My team sets are raw but when I want a showcase piece for my Dodgers collection (Koufax, Snider, Robinson, etc.) I seek out a BVG half grade card (6.5, 7.5, 8.5)...My opinion is similar to Patrick's in that the visual difference between it and the next full grade up is so minor that it doesn't justify the amount of money you'll spend for half a point, and chances are, if you ever do need to sell it in the future like you mentioned, you can resubmit the BVG graded card to PSA for that half grade bump since historically Beckett has been a stricter grader.

Last edited by 4reals; 03-28-2013 at 09:00 AM.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:59 AM

When I buy vintage I don't look at anything lower than a 5. The set I am doing (1953 Bowman Color) I am doing only PSA 5s NQ. However I have many other vintage pieces ranging from PSA 5-9. I just didn't want to commit myself to a PSA 7 set of Bowman Color however I may end up picking up a higher end Reese although my PSA 5 Pee Wee is a very nice example.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:05 AM

For me, grades are only so important. As has been said, buy the card, not the plastic.

And for me, it's all about eye appeal and centering. I'm doing the 52 Topps set, and I'll take a centered PSA 5 over an offcenter 8 any day of the week. And even along the same grade, there can be differences. I've seen 5s that are an ugly off white with mangy corners, and 5s that look like they could be 7s....great color and corners, but usually marred by a subtle flaw like a crease or something.

The main reason I buy graded is two fold: 1) In my area, there simply cannot be found quality vintage cards. There are a few dealers, but most deal in the new junk, and if they have vintage, it's in abhorrent condition, yet priced at NRMT levels. And they have no education. One dealer I encountered has a nice range of vintage, including some Goudey 33s, but they were all PO1s, and the key cards he had were so badly trimmed I had trouble believing he could be so ignorant.

So online is pretty much the only way I can get good vintage, and being unable to visually inspect and measure the cards to ensure they are original, I opt for the security of graded.

Now of course there is the danger of cracked card housings, but I've so far avoided this pretty easily by only doing business with dealers who specialize in vintage wares.

I have little sympathy for people suckered into buying bogus 52 Mantles in cracked holders, when the seller deals in Nascar merch and cards dating no earlier than 1995. Raises a big red flag right there. Dealers are not all created equal.

So as they say, buy the card not the plastic, but when you can't hold the card in your hands, get it wrapped up in plastic...you don't know where it's been :P
Old 03-29-2013, 04:42 PM
Bill Gregory

Good posts, guys. Who are some of the vintage sellers on Ebay that I can trust? I'm assuming Probstein123 would be on this list. I've had good success from battersbox, bakendave and somersetvelvet (though I've admittedly only bought a few vintage cards thus far). What about Kit Young? Others?

If you guys would rather discuss some of your opinions in private, I understand. Feel free to pm me.

Thank you so much for the help

Last edited by the 'stache; 03-29-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:44 PM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodey14 View Post
When I buy vintage I don't look at anything lower than a 5. The set I am doing (1953 Bowman Color) I am doing only PSA 5s NQ. However I have many other vintage pieces ranging from PSA 5-9. I just didn't want to commit myself to a PSA 7 set of Bowman Color however I may end up picking up a higher end Reese although my PSA 5 Pee Wee is a very nice example.
I usually look at 5 or 6 to start, and go from there depending on affordability. There are some players where going much higher is cost prohibitive. I'm looking at a PSA 6 1957 Topps Mickey Mantle, and that would set me back about $600.

I don't need mint, but I do want to make sure the cards I buy have eye appeal, and will maintain their value fairly well over time.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:55 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
Good posts, guys. Who are some of the vintage sellers on Ebay that I can trust? I'm assuming Probstein123 would be on this list. I've had good success from battersbox, bakendave and somersetvelvet (though I've admittedly only bought a few vintage cards thus far). What about Kit Young? Others?

If you guys would rather discuss some of your opinions in private, I understand. Feel free to pm me.

Thank you so much for the help
I don't know Kit Young. I've bought from 707sportscards. He is a well respected dealer. If you are really looking from something and are having difficulty locating it, there is a good chance he will have it. I believe I've also purchased from sflayank a year or so back. He is a great guy and a fellow forum member.

If you are willing to venture off of eBay, I highly recommend Deans Cards. Although I believe the company has an eBay account they do use, their website has a really large selection. His prices are great as is his customer service. I was looking to purchase a very inexpensive card and was only looking for a specific variation of the card. One of the employees went immediately and checked it for me to confirm. I really wish I'd known about them earlier and am sure I would have saved a bunch buying through them.

I don't personally know any of these individuals. Just some opinions on people I feel very comfortable buying from.

Last edited by Bestdj777; 03-29-2013 at 09:56 PM.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:25 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

I'm all over the place as to who I buy from. I find what I'm looking for and then check the seller rating, feedback, and so on. Tripleplay Vintage, Start Collecting, Just Collect, Probstein, Joe's Vintage are just some of the sellers I have purchased from. Personally, I find 707 way over priced in 52 Topps baseball which is what I look for.