NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 05-07-2013, 03:09 PM
David Pierson
Banned

Default If $ were no object...

If money were no object: Do you think it would be possible to reproduce vintage cards exactly.....say t206s or 33Goudeys or 52Topps....right from reproducing the cardboard stock to replicating the inks, printing process, and cutting? It seems feasible to me...after all if the technology existed 100 or 60 or 75 years ago...it should exist today (or at least the ability to manufacture the same technologies today). What do you think? Remember cost is no object.

Last edited by Cardboard Junkie; 05-07-2013 at 03:17 PM. Reason: sp
Old 05-07-2013, 03:48 PM
Mike

My ?,how do we know that it's not already happening, with all the high end prewar to the 60's. could it already be happening. Just a thought. I think it could be done easily (my sources In the printing business)
Mike

Last edited by brookdodger55; 05-07-2013 at 03:49 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:08 PM
David Pierson
Banned

Well, I just got off the phone with a professional paper conservator and he said "the hardest part would be reproducing the cardboard stock" he also added "that with unlimited funds it could very easily be done." and "no amount of testing or dating could detect a difference." Yikes!
Old 05-07-2013, 04:19 PM
Frank Hay-zer

I'm going to go with man over the machine on this one- I think a good vintage collector will always be able to tell if a vintage card is real or not, at least for the major card series' (52' Topps, 33' goudey, T206 etc). For the more obscure card sets- collectors can beat this though networking-if some individuals specialize in certain card sets-maybe they will have a future job in the hobby. That's just my take on this but I really think there will always be individuals who can tell the difference.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:52 AM
Daryl

I think it would be hard to reproduce that musty smell of old cardboard.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:00 PM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4815162342 View Post
I think it would be hard to reproduce that musty smell of old cardboard.
Not if you use OLD cardboard...
Old 05-08-2013, 08:46 PM
Steve Birmingham

With unlimited resources it would be easy.

I don't think the paper would be all that hard for some series. T206 is just a high rag content cardstock coated on one side.

I actually got out some stuff and checked. I thought comic backing boards were very close to right, but they're .024 of an inch and the one T206 I measured was .012. Next trip to the art store I'll see what they have that's like that.
And no, the backing boards don't react to the blacklight.

Stuff like Goudeys would be a bit harder. The cardboard is still available, but you'd have to do some accelerated aging to duplicate how the cardboard breaks down over time.

Steve B
Old 05-09-2013, 03:45 PM
Belltown Vintage

You couldn't reproduce a color lithograph card exactly, simply because of the dot patterns - the art was created by hand from photos, we don't have any original art, and even when we have real photo examples the art result would be obviously different under a loupe. I do think we could come so close that you'd have to use a loupe, but with a card like Wagner, you'd use much more than a loupe. Unless, of course, you simply put it in a slab - then it becomes real...like Pinocchio.

Of course, if the Cincinnati twins got hold of a close reprint like this, it would become a million-dollar 'variation'.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:01 PM
David Pierson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
You couldn't reproduce a color lithograph card exactly, simply because of the dot patterns - the art was created by hand from photos, we don't have any original art, and even when we have real photo examples the art result would be obviously different under a loupe. I do think we could come so close that you'd have to use a loupe, but with a card like Wagner, you'd use much more than a loupe. Unless, of course, you simply put it in a slab - then it becomes real...like Pinocchio.

Of course, if the Cincinnati twins got hold of a close reprint like this, it would become a million-dollar 'variation'.
Aloha Scott, I'm not sure I understand. Why couldn't each "dot" and "pattern of dots" be reproduced exactly? Why would one need the original "art"? couldn't an original card suffice? I'm talking, (hypothetically of course) of duplicating them on a microscopic level for each and every card in the set. Dave. ps money no object.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:22 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardboard Junkie View Post
Aloha Scott, I'm not sure I understand. Why couldn't each "dot" and "pattern of dots" be reproduced exactly? Why would one need the original "art"? couldn't an original card suffice? I'm talking, (hypothetically of course) of duplicating them on a microscopic level for each and every card in the set. Dave. ps money no object.
Hi Dave, Find a T206 that has the dots in the background and look at them under a loupe. If you look at two examples of the same card, that dot pattern will still match up perfectly, subject to registration and amount of ink applied. Once you've done that, I think you'll agree with me. But maybe not. Steve might know a way of duplicating the patterns, but I know that the artists who did this were highly-skilled, since they had to mix different colors of dots to come up with a good image.

If you looked at the 1880's lithographs, you'll see what I'm talking about even moreso. I tend to talk 'T206' because that's an issue I know more about.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:38 PM
David Pierson
Banned

Hi again Scott, I just don't get what you are saying. I have almost 2,400 t206s and have looked at everyone with a loupe. Have seen many thousands more with a loupe. I have many different power loupes and even a microscope to zero in on paper fibers and edges. T206s (as you know) are comprised of areas of printing dots (matrix) and solid colors (fields). Each "dot" could be replicated. Each solid color could be duplicated. Inks wouldn't be a problem because all the chemicals and pigments can be reproduced. It would be painstaking and tedious work, but completely possible. It would be hard to do but theoretically it COULD be done. Unless I'm just not understanding what you are saying. Dave. ps why do you think the original art work would be necessary?

Last edited by Cardboard Junkie; 05-09-2013 at 09:18 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:05 PM
Belltown Vintage

I must not be explaining myself well - sorry. Typing from an iPhone but I will find a few good examples and post in a few days.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:34 PM
Banned

it could be done with money NO object, billions spent on perfecting the technique, then i believe it could be done without anyone detecting it to be counterfeit. UNLESS, money was no object to the people in charge of detecting the counterfeit, then it could be possible to spend billions on a system/technique for detecting it as well. it would be a race.

case in point, north korean 100 dollar bill counterfeit notes. they have gotten so good at it, that even banks in the united states can't tell they are counterfeit, but the u.s. gov't itself has found a couple of very minute flaws that give them away, but they are scary good, and that is counterfeiting currency that has been designed to specifically thwart counterfeiting, not old cards with basically very little in the way of anti-counterfeiting measures other than the fact that you have to find old paper and ink, or a way of simulating old paper and ink.

in short, if the u.s. govt wanted to do it, and put endless resources, it could be done, we dug the panama canal, created hoover dam, put man on the moon, printing old cards??? i think so.

Last edited by travrosty; 05-11-2013 at 03:35 PM.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:42 PM
David Pierson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
it could be done with money NO object, billions spent on perfecting the technique, then i believe it could be done without anyone detecting it to be counterfeit. UNLESS, money was no object to the people in charge of detecting the counterfeit, then it could be possible to spend billions on a system/technique for detecting it as well. it would be a race.

case in point, north korean 100 dollar bill counterfeit notes. they have gotten so good at it, that even banks in the united states can't tell they are counterfeit, but the u.s. gov't itself has found a couple of very minute flaws that give them away, but they are scary good, and that is counterfeiting currency that has been designed to specifically thwart counterfeiting, not old cards with basically very little in the way of anti-counterfeiting measures other than the fact that you have to find old paper and ink, or a way of simulating old paper and ink.

in short, if the u.s. govt wanted to do it, and put endless resources, it could be done, we dug the panama canal, created hoover dam, put man on the moon, printing old cards??? i think so.
I pretty much agree!
Old 05-11-2013, 05:24 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

yes it can be done BUT, I think the only way to coppy it exactly would be if you have the old printing machine, the same ink and the same cardboard. If you have enough money im sure you can find those 3 things.

The ink would be the hardest thing to come bye IMO
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:33 PM
David Pierson
Banned

I wanted to add, I think it would take tens of millions of dollars maybe even hundreds of millions.........but not a billion.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:16 PM
Belltown Vintage

With early lithographs, it's like asking if a rare painting could be copied if money were no object. The problem would be that you could compare actual brush-strokes between the 'real' painting and the counterfeit. Same with dots in the lithographs. Dots are a bit easier to duplicate, but they are also easier to compare, and thus to detect flaws. I've louped a ton of lithograph cards and I'm certain about this, but I understand that my explanation isn't coming through well.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:48 PM
David Pierson
Banned

With respect Scott, an original painting and a printed litho are 2 completely different animals. David.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:51 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardboard Junkie View Post
With respect Scott, an original painting and a printed litho are 2 completely different animals. David.
For the purpose of my example, they are not.

Again, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I'm really getting nothing out of this by arguing with you about it - I know these cards and I'm certain about what I'm saying. If you don't believe me, that's absolutely fine - you won't be the first. Rather than add unnecessary angst to a nice day, I'll respectfully exit this thread, and I sincerely hope that someone tells you what you already know and would like to hear repeated.