NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 11-13-2018, 02:17 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Default Who else killed their collectibility with a bad decision???

Seems to me Le’veon Bell just sank his career with how he handled himself this year. I don’t mean he won’t have a productive career from here on out, but his departure from Pittsburgh should tank values on his stuff. I equate this in some sense with Cano bolting for Seattle a few years ago (and subsequently failing PED Test)...his stuff is worth a fraction of what it could/ should have been had he just stayed where he was. Am I off-base here? Who else made terrible career decisions???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 11-13-2018, 02:20 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Why would a player care one iota as to what his cards are worth?
Old 11-13-2018, 02:25 PM
Todd
Todd Ev@ns

Without a doubt, the biggest in sports has to be Pete Rose. I had a HUGE Pete Rose collection and took a killing on it when I sold it off back 30 years ago.
Old 11-13-2018, 02:40 PM

Darryl Strawberry, Dwight Gooden, Jose Canseco, and just about everyone else I collected in the 1980's!
Old 11-13-2018, 02:48 PM
Chris Wood

Roger Clemens, Barry Bonds in the sense that they should both have an extremely wide collecting base and have diminished that materially by the PED scandals.

Last edited by baseball tourist; 11-13-2018 at 02:50 PM.
Old 11-13-2018, 03:07 PM
Manny
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
They probably don't and that's not the question being posed here. OP is asking us to recall situations where a player's collectible value plummeted.

Like Josh Hamilton and Jose Fernandez (RIP), for example.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:43 PM
Larry

The only question I have with regard to Bell is why he should be allowed to become a free agent next year when he has failed to abide by the contractual terms in the collective bargaining agreement with Pittsburgh. Given that is the extent of my knowledge on the subject--there may be something else in the agreement which specifically allows for free agency in such circumstances, but barring that, it seems to me as a lawyer that he would owe the Steelers a season under the terms agreed upon between owners and union before he can become a free agent.

Just sayin',

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 11-13-2018 at 04:44 PM.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:51 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Quote:

That wasn’t what I was aiming at...I’m sure he couldn’t care less about our collections.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:18 PM
Aaron Seefeldt

Default PEDs

Sammy Sosa, Mark McGuire, Barry Bonds, ARod, Clemens, etc. Do you remember when that comic book guy was paying hundreds of thousands (if not millions) for home run balls from these Hank Aaron & Babe Ruth wannabes? I wonder if my balls are worth more now.

And Lance Armstrong
Old 11-13-2018, 05:18 PM
Al Richter

I am not a pre war collector, but assume Joe Jackson cards are pricy today. Would they be worth more if he had not been banned and had his career shortened ?
Old 11-13-2018, 05:43 PM
je.sse @rnot

Aaron Hernandez probably hurt his value a little.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:48 PM

I remember all the insane hype around Buxton for years. I wonder how much people spent on him when he was hot.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:56 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Seefeldt View Post
Sammy Sosa, Mark McGuire, Barry Bonds, ARod, Clemens, etc. Do you remember when that comic book guy was paying hundreds of thousands (if not millions) for home run balls from these Hank Aaron & Babe Ruth wannabes? I wonder if my balls are worth more now.

And Lance Armstrong

I have a 'morals clause' attached to my collection...however, since it's my collection...I decide who's naughty and who's not.

I have no cards at all of that first group...or pete rose, or hal chase or any of the blacksox.

My only exception is Gregg Zaun, who 'called his shot' in the 1999 Hall-of-Fame game which I attended.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 11-13-2018, 06:16 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

#1 has to be Lance Armstrong
Old 11-13-2018, 06:54 PM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Seefeldt View Post

And Lance Armstrong
At least Mark McGwire didn't deny it to the end and then say - oh, you got me... I give him credit for being honest. He's not like Bonds, Palmiero, Roger Clemens and that dirt bag Ryan Braun whole STOLE the MVP award from someone that really deserved it a few years back.

Like was mentioned earlier, I'm pretty sure those guys don't care if their baseball cards are worth less because of the implications.

Last edited by Fred; 11-13-2018 at 06:55 PM.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:00 PM
Fred

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAxo4pCITRM
Old 11-13-2018, 07:16 PM
�tis J�hns�n

OJ
Old 11-14-2018, 10:29 AM
Garth Guibord

I think it's tough to tease out the impact of the decisions for players in the Junk Wax era, how much of the value was depressed due to those decisions/actions and how much was due to their cards being in that era.

Might be easier to track some of the more recent tragedies (Oscar Tavares and Jose Fernandez, in particular and sadly), with the amount of money put into their most desirable cards and what happened after their untimely deaths.

As for Pete Rose, I wonder if he does ever get into the HOF (which I think is unlikely), if he even will receive the typical HOF bump. At this point, his cards are basically priced in the range of HOFers, while most collectors who have an opinion of him are unlikely to be changed even if he is inducted (in other words, I'm not sure the demand would increase if he made it in).
Old 11-14-2018, 10:39 AM
Anthøny N. ex

Quote:
Good point Jay, but I think the same circumstances that make a player less collectable also make the person less marketable, and that I'm sure they care about.

When was the last time we saw OJ in a movie or Avis commercial? He got thrown out of the National just for signing autographs.
Old 11-14-2018, 12:42 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls7plus View Post
The only question I have with regard to Bell is why he should be allowed to become a free agent next year when he has failed to abide by the contractual terms in the collective bargaining agreement with Pittsburgh. Given that is the extent of my knowledge on the subject--there may be something else in the agreement which specifically allows for free agency in such circumstances, but barring that, it seems to me as a lawyer that he would owe the Steelers a season under the terms agreed upon between owners and union before he can become a free agent.

Just sayin',

Larry

Steelers still have the option to franchise him again next year, or tender him an offer which other teams can compete against and the Steelers have the right to match.

There's nothing that says he was required to sign the Steelers franchise offer this year. Steelers used that option on him with the risk he would not take them up on it. It essentially becomes a 1 year unpaid retirement for Bell.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:52 PM
octavio ranzola

Ohatani