NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 08-07-2018, 05:18 PM

Default Who's hiring?

Hey guys!

Hope things have been well. Crazy to believe I'll be graduating this coming year with a B.S. in Civil Engineering and a concentration in structural engineering! Thought I'd reach out to some "seasoned" fellow Net54ers to see what platforms you have used to search for jobs? Thanks guys.

Best regards,
Joshua W. (Wazoo)
Schlei (Catching) Back run: 10/12 (minus blank back)

Actively collecting t206 Hall of Famers, Southern Leaguers, and Various backs in good to excellent condition. Love talking cards too.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:29 AM
J@$0n.Chri$$i$

If you are interested in Civil Service, the Federal Government is always hiring. You can go to USA Jobs (https://www.usajobs.gov) to search. Just make sure you filter on "Open to the Public". A quick search of just "Engineer" shows 382 jobs open to the public around the county and even some overseas. With your education, I'm thinking the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers could be a good fit. Good Luck!

- Jason
Old 08-08-2018, 01:23 PM
je.sse @rnot

Downloading the indeed app couldn't hurt.
Old 08-09-2018, 06:10 AM
Tony Ooten

Congrats Waz,

Same degree as me, several years later. My daughter is graduating next Spring as well. Chemical Engineering.

Our company was searching this past spring. Our recruiter posted on Zip Recruiter, LinkedIn, and facebook. I have also hired several people over the years through Indeed.

You definitely need to create a cover letter and update your LinkedIn page.

Of all the resumes I've reviewed over the years, only ONE had a cover letter. That was thru Indeed. She really did her homework on our company as well. We offered that person a job the day she interviewed.

Anyway, enjoy your last couple of semesters and good luck with your job search!
Old 08-09-2018, 06:13 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Surely some of your instructors or career counselors at your school have some excellent connections.....
Old 08-09-2018, 07:11 AM

Craigslist and Indeed are, in my experience, the best places to find work. If you're willing to fill the time between finding your dream job, it's always good to reach out to temp agencies for work. I've wound up in several great long-term positions that began as temp assignments.
Old 08-09-2018, 03:19 PM
Ronald Glenn

Location: Lake Norman N. Carolina ( New Jersey Born and Raised)

Congrats ! The next step is to sit for the PE exam
Old 08-09-2018, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgpete View Post
Congrats ! The next step is to sit for the PE exam
Well I'm going to take my FE in the Spring and plan on obtaining my EIT if all goes well. Then I'll need to get my required years (4?) before I go for that. Eventually that's the plan to have my own consulting firm. Would be a lot of fun at some point!

Actively collecting t206 Hall of Famers, Southern Leaguers, and Various backs in good to excellent condition. Love talking cards too.
Old 08-09-2018, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyo View Post
Congrats Waz,

Same degree as me, several years later. My daughter is graduating next Spring as well. Chemical Engineering.

Our company was searching this past spring. Our recruiter posted on Zip Recruiter, LinkedIn, and facebook. I have also hired several people over the years through Indeed.

You definitely need to create a cover letter and update your LinkedIn page.

Of all the resumes I've reviewed over the years, only ONE had a cover letter. That was thru Indeed. She really did her homework on our company as well. We offered that person a job the day she interviewed.

Anyway, enjoy your last couple of semesters and good luck with your job search!

Tony,

Thanks for the response. I agree these are some very good places to start. I'm forming a nicely worded cover letter that's straight to the point. I feel like it goes hand in hand with a resume, crazy to think that so many people forget it.

Anyways, congrats to your daughter! Hope things have been well with you.

Joshua

Old 08-09-2018, 05:24 PM
Ronald Glenn

Location: Lake Norman N. Carolina ( New Jersey Born and Raised)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazoo View Post
Well I'm going to take my FE in the Spring and plan on obtaining my EIT if all goes well. Then I'll need to get my required years (4?) before I go for that. Eventually that's the plan to have my own consulting firm. Would be a lot of fun at some point!
I wish you good luck and that all goes well to have own consulting firm. I passed my NJ Land Surveyors exam 30 years ago it was a grueling 18 hrs of exams in 2 days
Old 08-10-2018, 08:27 AM
T!M R10rd@n

We may be!

Where are you granulating from?

Where are you interested geographically?

I am the VP for NY Operations for a NJ based consulting engineering firm specializing in transportation. I'm a PE with 38 years of bridge design experience, having worked on everything from shortspan timber bridges to the Brooklyn Bridge. I have sat atop the Queensboro Bridge, and been down in the anchorage of the Manhattan Bridge. Almost 4 decades and I still get excited every time I round the bend on the Belt Parkway and get my first glimpse of the Verrazano Narrows Bridge, remembering when it was being built in the early '60s, and now involved in the rehabilitation work on it.

In NYC we're 2 blocks from Penn Station; in NJ near Trenton; in PA in Harrisburg, and the LeHigh Valley area; and we just opened an office in Springfield IL.
Old 08-10-2018, 03:42 PM

PM Sent Thanks for your reply!

Old 08-15-2018, 10:49 AM
Rob G.

not sure if submarines interest you ...

http://www.gdeb.com/careers/jobs/eng...ng-design.html
Old 08-15-2018, 11:51 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Tony,

Thanks for the response. I agree these are some very good places to start. I'm forming a nicely worded cover letter that's straight to the point. I feel like it goes hand in hand with a resume, crazy to think that so many people forget it.

Anyways, congrats to your daughter! Hope things have been well with you.

Joshua
Make sure you adapt your cover letter for each position. Demonstrating that you have looked into the company is a VERY strong hiring point and an amazing amount of people fail to take advantage of it. The cover letter is a great place to comment on a project the company has undertaken, an award they've won or an article that's been written about them.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 08-15-2018, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Make sure you adapt your cover letter for each position. Demonstrating that you have looked into the company is a VERY strong hiring point and an amazing amount of people fail to take advantage of it. The cover letter is a great place to comment on a project the company has undertaken, an award they've won or an article that's been written about them.
I could not agree more...one of the most valuable pieces of advice I've taken in so far...

Old 08-21-2018, 01:49 PM
Chris R

Default Wishing you good luck!

Also recommend Indeed, Careerbuilder, and LinkedIn for your job search. Make sure to emphasize the experience you gained on projects from your Co-Op and Internships.

Good luck with the FE Exam; it's all stuff that you already know!
Old 08-22-2018, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rommesc View Post
Also recommend Indeed, Careerbuilder, and LinkedIn for your job search. Make sure to emphasize the experience you gained on projects from your Co-Op and Internships.

Good luck with the FE Exam; it's all stuff that you already know!
Thanks Chris! I appreciate it. I think I need to update my LinkedIn with some photos/drawings of the projects I worked on this summer. Great advice!

Here's another curveball: I was accepted to my schools Master's program. I can get a Master's degree in Civil Engineering or Engineering Management within a year. I am more interested in the technical aspect of engineering, but I feel like the management courses may be more beneficial down the road. Thoughts?

Old 08-22-2018, 10:09 PM
Chris R

Quote:
Here's another curveball: I was accepted to my schools Master's program. I can get a Master's degree in Civil Engineering or Engineering Management within a year. I am more interested in the technical aspect of engineering, but I feel like the management courses may be more beneficial down the road. Thoughts?
Hi Josh,
Graduated with a degree in Mechanical Engineering 12 years ago, so my career path is likely different than yours. Started as an Engineer and am now a Plant Manager. I believe that an Engineering Degree prepares one well enough to do just about any job they want to take on. However, I may go back to school to get an MBA if I decide to continue on the corporate path toward a Vice President role.

Think there is more value in a Master's in Management than the Master's in Civil Engineering. The Master's in Civil Engineering may help you become a more knowledgeable engineer, but the Master's in Management will likely provide knowledge that is useful in future leadership roles.