NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 02-28-2008, 09:10 AM
Administrator

Default 47-66 Exhibit with a Post-Gazette ad on back

Posted By: Dan Lundrigan

Hi all,this is my first time posting on the postwar card side of net 54 so I hope you think it`s a good one.I recently picked up a few of these and I have never heard of this a Post-Gazette ad on the back of a 47-66 Exhibit card.Could this be considered a new discovery?Would PSA or SGC even grade this?I`m hoping the Exhibit experts out there will chime in with there opinions on this and maybe shed some light on this for me.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul S

Interesting. Can you post the front of the card? Who's on it?

Old 02-29-2008, 01:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

I know there is a set of Exhibits with "Dad's Cookies" on the back, but I've never seen one with your back. It certainly isn't common.

Old 02-29-2008, 04:08 PM
Administrator

I don`t have the cards in my possesion yet so I don`t know who is on the front.I asked the seller for a scan of the back so that is all I have right now.When the cards arrive I will provide a list of players and post more scans of the backs.I assume all the backs are the same as the one shown.Anyone have a Dad`s Cookies back to share I have never seen one?

Old 03-01-2008, 02:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

Thanks for pointing them out Glen, now I see the holes Nice card, one of these days I'll be lucky to pick one up.

Old 03-01-2008, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

I believe Leon has one.

I dont own this one but have a scan of it in my saved scans.

Almost all Ive seen have staple holes in them (attached to the package that way??), but this one doesnt.

The front is Bob Friend

Old 03-01-2008, 06:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Glen V

Here's the front of the Dad's Friend card. They hide pretty well, but it does have the standard staple holes at the top and bottom of the card.

Old 03-09-2008, 02:47 PM
Administrator

Here are the cards for everyone to see.Based on the following information I believe they are from 1948.The made in usa matches this info as does the "McCaskey" card.

1948 "MADE IN USA" of 5/8 inch - 39 cards can be identified as from this year. A rarity was created as Barney McCosky was issued in error as Barney Mc Caskey. Credit Bob Schulhof Sports Collectors Digest February 12, 1993

Here are the cards with the Post Gazette Back.

1 Walker Cooper
2 Joe Dobson
3 Bob Elliot
4 Ferris Fain (fielding)
5 Carl Furillo
6 Joe Gordon (Cleveland)
7 Frank Gustine (Pirates)
8 Berthold Haas
9 Ralph Kiner
10 Barney McCaskey (sic)
11 Albert Mele
12 Johnny Mize (made in usa lower right)
13 Joe Page
14 Pee Wee Reese (ball not visible)
15 Pete Reiser (made in usa lower right)
16 Bobby Thomson
17 Earl Torgeson (Braves)
18 Emil Verban
19 Mickey Vernon (throwing)

The only difference with the backs are:
12 backs same as front of card
7 backs upside down from front of card (like a coin would be)
The Bobby Thomson card has an imprint of the back on the face of his card.I guess this would be considered a wet sheet transfer?
If 39 cards can be identified from this year I would assume there are 20 more cards out there with this back.

Old 03-09-2008, 05:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

and way cool. We wants one; we wants the precious...

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Old 03-09-2008, 09:23 PM
Administrator

Thanks for your input Adam,just so I understand this correctly you believe the ad on the back was printed after the fact by the Post-Gazette and would not be an authorized Exhibit offering.

Maybe ol`Vince went down to the penny arcade with a pocket full of change bought up a bunch of cards and since he worked at a newspaper had the backs printed on them and sent them out as an insert in the daily paper.I guess anything is possible.

I was figuring maybe it was some sort of limited regional issue that ESCO put out for the Post-Gazette.Kind of like those odd ball playing card style Exhibits from the Pittsburgh area.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I sold my Dad's Cookies card as it was post 1950. I only collect pre-1950 for the most part. The value didn't go along with the scarcity...I think it brought less than $75......and it did have the staple hole in it. My thought is that they were stapled to bags of cookies but if there are ones without staple holes I guess all of them weren't.....If any of those exhibits with the ad back become available I would be interested in one..

Old 03-10-2008, 10:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

I think, based on other cards I've seen, that on occasion ESCO made deals to print the backs of their cards with specific information for a business. In addition to the cookie cards mentioned already, I've seen ads for movie theaters on 1920s and 1930s exhibits and even an ad for a baseball card publication. I've also seen the cards with post-cutting ink stamps on the backs for advertisers, but these are readily distinguished from printings by their hand-placed look.

Given the size, complexity, uniformity and wet sheet transfer of the back printing you show I suspect that the publication made a deal with ESCO to do a run of ad cards for it. My guess is that there will ultimately be 32 (one sheet) or 64(two sheets) different cards.

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Old 03-10-2008, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Glen V

You can add me to the list of those interested in an Exhibit w/ the Post-Gazette back...

Old 03-14-2008, 08:04 AM
Administrator

Some cards I will want to hang onto but I will listen to any offers or trades.I would love to find the rest of these for a complete set of 32 or 64 cards but that is probably an exercise in futility.I will post again when I am ready to part with some,right now I do not have a lot of time to sit down and decide what to do with these.