NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 06-13-2013, 03:19 PM

Default Early Mantle Auto

My pop worked at the old Griffith Stadium when he was a teen selling dogs. He gave me approximately 100 autos on 3x5 index cards. Sometime around 82' I cut down a few of the bigger names down so they would fit in card holders (like the Mantle pictured, I was a dumb kid).

I'm pretty sure this is a 51 or 52. What would you guys think the value would be. I realize being that its on an index card brings down the value vs. a ball for example. Also what would the value be if I had PSA authenticate it?

Thanks!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kensimp...57633698411248

Last edited by 67_Palmer; 06-13-2013 at 03:27 PM. Reason: HTML doesn't seem to be working, had to post link to card.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:37 PM
David Linardy

Default Mantle

Not an expert on mantle, but I am fairly certain this is not an early 50's exemplar
Old 06-13-2013, 03:54 PM

If you check out the link below it matches the second pic.

http://live.autographmagazine.com/fo...ntle-authentic

I also received a nice offer from these guys:
http://mickeymantleautograph.com/

But thought I'd check to see what you all thought in regards to getting PSA to authenticate it.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:03 PM
Jeff P0tter

I have had a couple of baseballs with early Mantles on them like that, up until about mid/later fifties.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:09 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67_Palmer View Post
My pop worked at the old Griffith Stadium when he was a teen selling dogs. He gave me approximately 100 autos on 3x5 index cards. Sometime around 82' I cut down a few of the bigger names down so they would fit in card holders (like the Mantle pictured, I was a dumb kid).

I'm pretty sure this is a 51 or 52. What would you guys think the value would be. I realize being that its on an index card brings down the value vs. a ball for example. Also what would the value be if I had PSA authenticate it?

Thanks!

NOT 1951 or 52 BUT mid-late 50S IMO. Value.. whatever someone will give you at the time. It is clearly rarer than all the post-career examples though. Nice vintage Mantle Sig.

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 06-13-2013, 04:21 PM
Banned

Quote:

Thanks!

psa will just cost you 75 dollars and that is just less money in your pocket and more money on overhead when you sell it. collectors who collect 50's mantle examples know them when they see them and dont need psa certfication, so just skip psa and make more money for yourself.

Last edited by travrosty; 06-13-2013 at 04:22 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:31 PM

Thanks for the advice. Didn't realize PSA charges 75. Ouch.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:52 PM
Scott

Nice Vintage Mantle. Good luck with it
Old 06-13-2013, 05:18 PM

Thanks.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:30 PM
John T.
Joh.n Ta.ng

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. Didn't realize PSA charges 75. Ouch.
PSA actually cost $100 for mantle not including shippings....
Old 06-13-2013, 06:15 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
psa will just cost you 75 dollars and that is just less money in your pocket and more money on overhead when you sell it. collectors who collect 50's mantle examples know them when they see them and dont need psa certfication, so just skip psa and make more money for yourself.
Are you his Selling Agent, Travis?
Old 06-13-2013, 06:46 PM

Keep up the completely unprovoked attacks on Travis, Chris.

(And don't forget to whine--as is your wont--when someone criticizes you.)

Last edited by David Atkatz; 06-13-2013 at 06:55 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:46 AM
Dave Millhouse
Banned

Chris,

The subject matter is the Mantle, not Travis. The board has been pretty peaceful without your provocations. Please keep it that way.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:06 AM
Christopher Williams

Lighten up fellas, I was being sarcastic.

It's amazing that sarcasm directed at me is okay, but not the other way around. My apologies to the OP if my sarcasm wasn't clear enough.

My point being, the owner of that early Mantle sig would get a higher price for his piece if it was authenticated by PSA. That's a fact.

I remember awhile back Mr. Atkatz listed two PSA or JSA certed baseballs to help pay for his new "1927 Yankees" team-signed ball and he was promoting the fact that they were TPA certed. Why? To receive the highest price possible.

Last edited by thetruthisoutthere; 06-14-2013 at 06:07 AM.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere View Post
Lighten up fellas, I was being sarcastic.

It's amazing that sarcasm directed at me is okay, but not the other way around. My apologies to the OP if my sarcasm wasn't clear enough.
Got any cheese to go with that whine?
Old 06-14-2013, 08:57 AM
And.rew Whi.te

It always amazes me that a simple question on the autographs boards can turn into a pissing match in such a short period of time. Can't everyone just let this go and answer the questions that are presented? Maybe Leon should just create a pissing match thread where you guys can go and beat each other up and others wont have to see it.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:25 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
I would think the same, I'm unfamiliar with Mantle sales, but I would guess there is a higher premium for early playing days autographs compared to 60's etc.

Last edited by HOF Auto Rookies; 06-14-2013 at 09:26 AM.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:37 AM
Belltown Vintage

Nice autograph. While looking for a 1958 Mantle signature to display with another piece, I started seeing small variations in his writing, almost from year to year, from 1952-58.

I don't want to draw out the creativity of any of my recently-acquired and never-desired autograph sub-forum 'enemies', so I won't assign a date to it, but you should be able to pin it down to one of two years, just by looking at signed team balls that have been positively dated.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:47 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Early Mantle signituers are wanted because they are so totaly different from the ones you see today. He told me that when he found out he could make a great deal of money by signing autographs. He went to a hand writeing class to improve his signiture. If he was telling me the truth or not it sure looked that way.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:37 AM
M@rk Cl@ry

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post
Early Mantle signituers are wanted because they are so totaly different from the ones you see today. He told me that when he found out he could make a great deal of money by signing autographs. He went to a hand writeing class to improve his signiture. If he was telling me the truth or not it sure looked that way.
The ones from today just be rough!
Old 06-15-2013, 12:33 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

I am sure you understood that I am talking about the Mantles that we see in all the auctions and on Ebay vs the early signiture that you hardly ever see.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:35 PM
M@rk Cl@ry

I'm sure I did. Just having fun
Old 06-17-2013, 08:32 PM
John T.
Joh.n Ta.ng

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post
So these are from his class?

Last edited by dapro; 06-17-2013 at 09:08 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:01 PM
Craig

Quote:

Thanks!

Not sure of value. It is clean and strong, should go for $600-$750 - graded or ungraded.

It is definitely not from '51-'53. Closest examples are '54-'56 based on Mickey's signatures on Yankee contracts from those years. Best guess '55 or '56. If you could provide provenance for '56 then upwards of $1,500.

Craig