NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 07-11-2018, 06:58 PM
scott altland

Default When did the rookie card phenomena start

I started collecting cards as a kid around 1971.In those early years there wasn't a lot of talk about rookie cards...although at that time I was so young I may have missed it.Anybody remember around the time people really were giving a premium to those cards and did a certain player start the craze?
Scott

Last edited by goudey1933; 07-11-2018 at 06:58 PM.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:39 PM

Joe Charboneau 1980?
Old 07-11-2018, 08:02 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Don Mattingly 1984 was where the rookie card phenomenon was cemented, as far as I know.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:51 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Don Mattingly 1984 was where the rookie card phenomenon was cemented, as far as I know.

+1

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 07-13-2018, 05:50 AM
Glyn Parson

Default It was in no way don mattingly

Bob Horner, joe charboneau, Fernando, Steve sax, strawberry, Ron Kittle were all the rage prior to don mattingly. Mattingly was hot as hell in 1985-1990 ( yes I know 1984 is his rookie but he didn’t get sizzling hot TIL 1985). Maybe late in 1984. but the phenomenon predates this by at least 5 years.

Last edited by glynparson; 07-14-2018 at 04:46 AM.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:01 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
Bob Horner, joe charboneau, Fernando, Steve sax, strawberry, Ron Kittle were all the rage prior to don mattingly. Mattingly was hot as hell in 1985-1990 ( yes I know 1984 is his rookie but he didn’t get sizzling hot TIL 1985. Maybe late in 1984. but the phenomenon predates this by at least 5 years.
And it just goes to show you how speculative buying new players is. Other than Mattingly, and even him to some extent, where are those cards now?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:13 PM
Michael G0nz@lez

Default Beckett and Fernandomania

My recollections as a collecter starting at the end of the 70s:

The first Beckett guide coming out in 1979 boosted older rookie cards, since now even beginning collectors knew which cards they were. But the first rookie card I remember being a big deal during the player’s rookie year was Fernando Valenzuela in 1981. Before that, I don’t remember even older rookie cards having a huge premium, outside their age and the desirability of certain sets.

I remember that, collecting in 1980, I felt kind of cheated when I got a multiplayer rookie card. But in 1981, the Topps Traded sets came out, providing full-card versions of Valenzuela and Raines. The trend continued, with the big year-of rookies that I remember being Ripken in ‘82, Boggs and Strawberry in ‘83, and especially Gooden and Mattingly in ‘84. (I don’t remember Gwynn or Sandburg being as big a deal during their rookie years, but that may just be due to the circle I collected in.) As rookie cards increased in value, demand rose for rookies of other active stars like Brett, Henderson, and so forth. Pete Rose took off big time as he passed Musial for the NL hit record in 1981 and continued his pursuit of Ty Cobb.

By 1984, it was all about the rookies. Beckett Monthly let people track card values as if they were stocks, and some folks were imagining that their stash of Mattinglys would someday put Junior through college.

See the Want List for "Successful net54 transactions" list.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
My recollections as a collecter starting at the end of the 70s:

The first Beckett guide coming out in 1979 boosted older rookie cards, since now even beginning collectors knew which cards they were. But the first rookie card I remember being a big deal during the player’s rookie year was Fernando Valenzuela in 1981. Before that, I don’t remember even older rookie cards having a huge premium, outside their age and the desirability of certain sets.

I remember that, collecting in 1980, I felt kind of cheated when I got a multiplayer rookie card. But in 1981, the Topps Traded sets came out, providing full-card versions of Valenzuela and Raines. The trend continued, with the big year-of rookies that I remember being Ripken in ‘82, Boggs and Strawberry in ‘83, and especially Gooden and Mattingly in ‘84. (I don’t remember Gwynn or Sandburg being as big a deal during their rookie years, but that may just be due to the circle I collected in.) As rookie cards increased in value, demand rose for rookies of other active stars like Brett, Henderson, and so forth. Pete Rose took off big time as he passed Musial for the NL hit record in 1981 and continued his pursuit of Ty Cobb.

By 1984, it was all about the rookies. Beckett Monthly let people track card values as if they were stocks, and some folks were imagining that their stash of Mattinglys would someday put Junior through college.
These are my recollections too. Joe Charbaneau cards were hot at the beginning of 1981 coming off his ROY season. That was the first year there was real interest in a new card because it was a "rookie card." Gwynn and Sandberg became a big deal in 1984. By then people were prospecting, buying up rookie cards of players hoping they would hit it big and they could make a quick buck.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:47 AM
Larry

'80's, and came into full bloom before the bust in the early '90's. No surprise it's with us again. Collectors simply like to have cards of the current players they root for and enjoy watching. It comes down to having a piece of the action!

Best wishes,

Larry
Old 07-11-2018, 08:01 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

I remember being a kid in the mid 1980s and starting to hear about the importance of rookies like those found in the 1984 Fleer Update set, the 1985 Topps Mark McGwire Olympic rookie, the 1984 Donruss Don Mattingly rookie, etc. Not sure if the rookie emphasis started just then or if it was simply a matter of my becoming old enough to begin knowing and understanding.

Either way, it's a shame. While there are undoubtedly some rookie cards out there which are aestically pleasing, there are many which just aren't all that great and collectors would otherwise prefer not spending big rookie $$ in favor of another card of the player, but they "can't" because just gotta have that rookie. Pete Rose springs to mind. I would guess 98 out of 100 sober collectors would choose his 1964 Topps card over the 1963 floating head Topps rookie.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 07-11-2018, 08:25 PM
Jim Harkins

1981 Topps Fernando Valenzuela. Demand for a card has never topped this one.
Although the 1982 Topps Kent Hrbek is a close second.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:16 AM
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fetamore View Post
1981 Topps Fernando Valenzuela. Demand for a card has never topped this one.
Although the 1982 Topps Kent Hrbek is a close second.
What were they Selling for?

I remember 1986 Donruss Jose Canseco in Beckett for $150
Old 07-12-2018, 05:10 AM

Maybe it's my age, but the 75 Rice ,Lynn and Brett where pretty hot rookies to chase. The Fernando Venezuela was too as mentioned earlier.
Old 07-12-2018, 05:47 AM
Jay T.

I recall there being a lot of interest in 1980 or 1981 for the Brett Rookie, especially the mini.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTysver View Post
I recall there being a lot of interest in 1980 or 1981 for the Brett Rookie, especially the mini.
It's funny how the mini cards used to be valued at about 2x the cost of the regulars due to their scarcity. Now it's basically the opposite.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:17 PM
Jim Harkins

The 1981 Topps Fernando Valenzuela card could be sold in quantity for about $3.00.
Old 07-12-2018, 02:08 PM
Anthřny N. ex

I collected thru the mail and at shows '74-'76. Wasn't an factor then, but in '79 or '80 I set up at a show in L.A. to sell off my collection and everyone was asking for Rookie Jim Rice's, among others. Things had changed in that respect quite a bit in a few years.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:49 PM
Bru.ce Wil.s0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcrab View Post
Maybe it's my age, but the 75 Rice ,Lynn and Brett where pretty hot rookies to chase. The Fernando Venezuela was too as mentioned earlier.

I know those 75s were hot in the early 80s but how about in 75-76? That predates me a bit. I didn’t start serious collecting until 82-83

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-21-2018, 08:12 PM

Default Rookie Cards

For perspective, I have a copy of Sport Americana #1 in front of me - it was published in 1979. Looking through it - in the 1975 set, the 4 player rookie cards all priced at .03, except Lynn (.15) and Rice (.20). In the 1973 set, all rookie high number cards, including Schmidt, were .12.

In general, because older cards had higher value, a player's "rookie" card, before we called them that, generally priced higher.

What people have said about the Fleer Update Gooden and the 1984 Donruss Mattingly is all true, but I also remember the Rosen "find" of 1952s in 1986 had a big impact. The term "rookie" card had already sort of been defined by then, and all of a sudden we had maybe 100 mint Mantle rookies on the market. I think it was a perfect storm of players (Gooden, Mattingly) location (New York market teams) and the Mantle thing (it didn't hurt that Rosen was a self-promoter and achieved something like celebrity status for a brief moment) that really drove things to the next level and started the whole notion of "I can pay for Jimmy's college with baseball cards!".

I seem to recall Fritsch selling Fleer Update sets at over $1000 per before things began to settle down - but hey, Larry Fritsch always marked things up a tad.
Old 07-22-2018, 04:19 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I've been collecting for over 40 years and RCs have always carried a premium. In the 'old days' a lot of collectors would try to complete runs of favorite athletes, which meant RC determination and chasing. Beckett fomented the RC craze by listing them in its magazine. It was pretty much a postwar card collecting thing until the 1990s when people really started paying up for vintage rookies. What has changed over the last 20 years is the magnitude of the price differential between the RC and the other cards. In 1997, for example, I paid $1100 for a nice nm Aaron RC. A comparable 55 would have been about 25% of that. Now, it is closer to 10%.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 07-22-2018 at 04:23 PM.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:13 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Rookie card "craze"

I got back into the hobby in 1977. Back then there was a hint of the rookie card interest. The "craze" really started here in the greater Philadelphia area with these two events.....

1....Circa Summer of 1980 when Bob & Rob (two local card dealers) of Warrington, PA auctioned off 3 so-called 1952 TOPPS Mantle "ROOKIE" cards for a grand total of $10,000.
This unprecedented sale went nationwide in the news media, and created quite a stir in the hobby.

2....In 1981, at the famous Willow Grove (PA) Show, dealers began hyping 1963 TOPPS Pete Rose cards. Rose had approx. 3600 Hits by then, and it was evident that Rose would
beat Ty Cobb's record of 4189 Hits in 4 years. Rose rookie cards in 1979 sold for about $5. I recall selling Rose rookie cards at the Willow Grove Show for $100 in 1981-1982. For
$200 in 1983. And, $300 in 1984.
I would bring as many as 6 - 10 Rose rookies to these Shows and they would all be sold on Friday night.

That's the story Folks.

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 07-23-2018, 10:08 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

The 1952 Mantle isn't a rookie card, guys. It isn't part of the RC phenomenon.

Or not...
Old 07-23-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
At the time it was considered his Topps rookie card. It wasn't until a few years later that most corrected their error.
Old 03-16-2020, 01:23 AM
Sean McGinty

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
At the time it was considered his Topps rookie card. It wasn't until a few years later that most corrected their error.
I do remember Beckett for quite a few years designated cards as FTC for first Topps card, FDC for first Donruss card, etc. I suspect that was entirely driven by the need to provide some category for the 52 Mantle, then having to apply it to every other non rookie card of a player appearing on a company’s card for the first time.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:05 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Greg Jefferies.

Tom Goodwin

Darryl Strawberry Traded
1987 Will Clark

enough said
Old 07-23-2018, 12:16 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Is that so?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l500.jpg (30.1 KB, 277 views)

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:57 PM

Default When did the rookie card phenomenon start

A small wrinkle: I grew up on Long Island in the 70s, attending card shows, visiting the nascent shops, and doing in-person deals through the Pennysaver, and I seem to recall paying a premium for MVP/Cy Young-year cards before rookie cards became a thing...
Old 07-23-2018, 09:03 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Is that so?
Beautiful card, Peter!
Old 03-19-2020, 11:33 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I thought this was fun: I recently had this exchange with some ass-clown on eBay re a 1926 Greiling Max Schmeling RC:

Him: I know that you “know your stuff” and the grading companies “consult you” but this is clearly not Carpentiers rookie. The ever abundant 1922-1923 Amalgamated Press Sporting Champions is.

I replied: I completely agree: it is not Carpentier's RC. It is, however, Max Schmeling's. And FWIW Carpentier appears in the 1915 Cope's set so the 1922-23 cards are not even his first British issues.

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 03-19-2020 at 11:36 PM.
Old 03-15-2020, 08:20 PM
Tom S

Quote:
Originally Posted by goudey1933 View Post
I started collecting cards as a kid around 1971.In those early years there wasn't a lot of talk about rookie cards...although at that time I was so young I may have missed it.Anybody remember around the time people really were giving a premium to those cards and did a certain player start the craze?
Scott
The rookie card craze started in the late 1970's by card dealers. They bought up all Mantle rookies, Satchel Page rookies and Aaron rookies etc and added a premium price to them. By 1981 they were trying to pass off Boog Powell and Tony Oliva baseball cards as being just as desirable.

This topic was covered extensively in the Sporting News 1981 Baseball yearbook.

I never understood the rookie card thing. But fellow collectors fell for it.