NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 04-10-2023, 08:54 PM

Default Would you sell cards to buy gold or silver coins?

I saw this topic on another message board and it seemed interesting, so ill ask. to help as a hedge for inflation, hyperinflation or to protect against a possible declining dollar, do you think its a good idea to sell some cards that you might no longer want in your collection and use that money to invest/buy us american eagle silver dollars or us gold coins? pretty much flipping sports cards for us gold/silver coins. thanks
Old 04-10-2023, 10:06 PM
Peter Spaeth

Diversification is always a good thing in my opinion. I don't know about the doomsday scenarios where gold sells for multiples of what it sells for today, but I think it's a reasonably good place to put a bit of money. If you buy older coins there is also a collecting aspect.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-10-2023 at 10:07 PM.
Old 04-11-2023, 05:29 AM

Default silver/gold

Considering that you are asking strictly as an investment safeguard, yes-

Trent King
Old 04-11-2023, 09:18 AM
Ben North

I recently went the other way. I sold gold to buy some silly rare cards.

If cards are up and gold was down then I would, otherwise probably not.
Old 04-11-2023, 11:40 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Hi Peter, i seen some of your post on the coin side. Seem like your very knowledgeable.
I had a old CC morgan silver/president kennedy one, still have many half dollars and such.
But as a novice, what coin is a must-have for a beginner/invester?
Others please chime in as well.
Old 04-11-2023, 12:20 PM

thanks guys for your responses. I appreciate it.

Do you guys recommend buying silver coins or silver bars?

Is it better to buy one american eagle gold coin or 50 american eagle silver coins (the approx amount of silver coins you could get for the price of one gold coin)

or should i be buying junk silver coins?

Thanks

Last edited by homerunhitter; 04-11-2023 at 12:22 PM.
Old 04-11-2023, 12:51 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerunhitter View Post
thanks guys for your responses. I appreciate it.

Do you guys recommend buying silver coins or silver bars?

Is it better to buy one american eagle gold coin or 50 american eagle silver coins (the approx amount of silver coins you could get for the price of one gold coin)

or should i be buying junk silver coins?

Thanks
I would stick with gold over silver, personally.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-11-2023, 12:52 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpawdiv9 View Post
Hi Peter, i seen some of your post on the coin side. Seem like your very knowledgeable.
I had a old CC morgan silver/president kennedy one, still have many half dollars and such.
But as a novice, what coin is a must-have for a beginner/invester?
Others please chime in as well.
Chris coin collecting is extremely diverse, can't really say any given coin is a must have, and much depends on your budget. Certainly the Morgan Dollar is a classic coin, but the values vary wildly depending on date and of course condition.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-11-2023 at 12:53 PM.
Old 04-11-2023, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I would stick with gold over silver, personally.
Peter,
If I can’t afford gold at the moment , what would you recommended for silver? American eagles? Bars? Junk silver?

Thanks
Old 04-11-2023, 01:35 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Peter,
If I can’t afford gold at the moment , what would you recommended for silver? American eagles? Bars? Junk silver?

Thanks
Silver to me is just something that goes up and down and doesn't have the attractive long term characteristics that gold has. I would not sell cards to buy silver. But I am no expert.

Old 04-11-2023, 01:41 PM

I will have to figure out how to get gold then! I was just thinking in a situation where the US dollar collapses (which I personally think it will) it would be easier to Bart (but things) with multiple silver coins vs trying to barter with one gold coin. I appreciate your thoughts on this very much.

Thank you
Old 04-11-2023, 01:44 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I will have to figure out how to get gold then! I was just thinking in a situation where the US dollar collapses (which I personally think it will) it would be easier to Bart (but things) with multiple silver coins vs trying to barter with one gold coin. I appreciate your thoughts on this very much.

Thank you
We've been hearing that doomsday scenario forever. If you really believe it, spend your money stockpiling food water and guns.

Old 04-11-2023, 01:50 PM
Ben North

Ny question with gold and silver is where do you sell it? Unless you find another collector willing to pay full value isn't it a loss the second you buy it?
Old 04-11-2023, 01:56 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Ny question with gold and silver is where do you sell it? Unless you find another collector willing to pay full value isn't it a loss the second you buy it?
:Like anything else, the idea is that it will go up over time and the gain will offset transaction costs. But there is a huge market for it, it's not hard to sell at all.

Old 04-11-2023, 03:29 PM

Why do you have to sell cards to buy gold? To raise the capital or something? It’s typically best to diversify assets rather than convert one into another.
Old 04-11-2023, 03:51 PM
T0dd M@rcum

I had a touch of the silver bug for a while. Truth is, cards or stocks would have been significantly better investments. I still buy a little silver now and again...an American Eagle with the current year date makes a wonderful baby gift. Were I to make a serious investment, I really prefer Platinum and Palladium at their current price points. Both are exceptional industrial metals and rarer than gold. It is alway important to remember that I am often wrong.
Old 04-11-2023, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Why do you have to sell cards to buy gold? To raise the capital or something? It’s typically best to diversify assets rather than convert one into another.
For me personally, I have some cards that dont fit into my collection tastes anymore so im trying to decide , do i sell the cards i no longer need/want and buy other cards that i might need or want or do i sell cards i no longer need/want and use that money to invest in silver or gold.
Old 04-11-2023, 04:10 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Now is probably a bad time to buy gold, unless you are a doomsday kind of guy. Per Forbes (Is Gold An Inflation Hedge? 3/10/23):

"Some studies have found that gold can be an effective inflation hedge, but only over an extremely long time horizon of more than a century.

Over shorter periods, researchers found gold’s inflation-adjusted price fluctuates dramatically. Since 1972, the ratio of gold’s price to the CPI has averaged 3.6. The current gold-to-CPI ratio is 6.4. If gold were a simple, reliable inflation hedge, its value would remain roughly constant relative to the CPI."

The price of gold has gone up much faster than the rate of inflation for some time now (up nearly 25% since October), so I would think that it is primed for a series of price drops and little if any gains over the next few years.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 04-11-2023 at 04:14 PM.
Old 04-11-2023, 04:13 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
We've been hearing that doomsday scenario forever. If you really believe it, spend your money stockpiling food water and guns.
+1. If one genuinely believes the currency system fails, then ammunition and non perishable food investing is the way to go.

I predict this will happen about the time that Hell freezes over.
Old 04-11-2023, 04:32 PM
Peter Spaeth

https://www.ebay.com/itm/394491826895

Old 04-11-2023, 04:52 PM
Al Wright

Quote:

Thank you
Not in any way giving advice, but if you find the price of 1 oz US gold eagles beyond your comfort zone the coins are available in fractional sizes of 1/10th oz, 1/4 oz, and 1/2 oz.

You would pay a somewhat higher stepup to get the smaller coins, but it's not terrible.

I would say that if you decide to take a plunge just make sure you acquire whatever you decide on from a reputable source. The metals scene is not immune from the scams that seem to be showing up everywhere.
Old 04-12-2023, 04:47 PM

after researching it, my concern is spot price for silver is currently $25, you cant find them anywhere on ebay for less than $40 and when it comes time to sell dealers are buying them for $12-15, so paying $40 for a $25 coin to just sell for $15 doesnt seem like a good investment to me!

i know it has been said that the hope is eventually the price of silver will go up enough to cover seller markups, but I dont see silver going up that much in the next few years based on the past silver prices.

if dealers buy super low so they can make a huge profit on their mark up, im wondering why it would be good to pay $40 a coin just to sell it for $15 down the road?
Old 04-12-2023, 04:56 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

I was actually thinking of making a trade post to swap some cards for coins.
Old 04-12-2023, 05:05 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

A dealer of any product will pay below market, that’s how they stay in business. It usually doesn’t make sense to sell to dealers at their buy rate for anything. You sell it to another investor.
Old 04-12-2023, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
A dealer of any product will pay below market, that’s how they stay in business. It usually doesn’t make sense to sell to dealers at their buy rate for anything. You sell it to another investor.
I totally get this and I totally understand this. but as a buyer how dos it make sense to pay $40 for a $25 coin to just sell for $15 eventually? (not trying to be smart at all, just trying to learn and understand if/does it make sense to buy for $40 and sell for $15)
Old 04-12-2023, 05:58 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I totally get this and I totally understand this. but as a buyer how dos it make sense to pay $40 for a $25 coin to just sell for $15 eventually? (not trying to be smart at all, just trying to learn and understand if/does it make sense to buy for $40 and sell for $15)
People play the silver market but I think more people invest long term in gold.

Old 04-12-2023, 06:17 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
It doesn’t make any sense to buy at todays market rate to then sell at todays dealer buy price. For any item. At all. Why would you do that?

When you are investing in something, you are gambling that that item will go up over time. Conventionally, you are not planning to sell at below market prices either to a dealer. Don’t sell to a dealer who has to lowball you to make a profit. Don’t buy things as investments you don’t think will go up.

Your formulation here is the problem. Anything you take this approach too will result in a loss of money. Buying at todays market price and selling at todays dealer buy price guarantees a loss 100% of the time for any item.
Old 04-12-2023, 06:19 PM

Thanks Guys for your thoughts on this. I think ill pass on both gold and silver for now as Im not really educated on it or know what im doing in regards to investing in gold and silver.it doesnt seem like its a good option for me at this time the more I think about it.

Last edited by homerunhitter; 04-12-2023 at 07:24 PM.
Old 04-12-2023, 06:23 PM
Al Wright

Deleted.

Last edited by 58pinson; 04-12-2023 at 06:30 PM.
Old 04-12-2023, 07:31 PM

I think one problem I see is that silver will never go up enough to make a profit on what todays sellers markup is. (I dont think the spot price of silver has been over $30 in the past 10-15 years (or maybe even ever) the seller markups today are outrageous.(to the point that making any profit on it is darn near impossible) to complicate matters worse in the silver market is that if an american silver eagle 1 oz coin is consistently selling for the sellers markup price of $40 then people start thinking and believing that 1 oz of silver is worth the $40 they paid for it, then when they go to sell then and only then will they find that their pants have been pulled down to their ankles!
Old 04-13-2023, 05:03 AM
Ben North

Quote:
I think one problem I see is that silver will never go up enough to make a profit on what todays sellers markup is. (I dont think the spot price of silver has been over $30 in the past 10-15 years (or maybe even ever) the seller markups today are outrageous.(to the point that making any profit on it is darn near impossible) to complicate matters worse in the silver market is that if an american silver eagle 1 oz coin is consistently selling for the sellers markup price of $40 then people start thinking and believing that 1 oz of silver is worth the $40 they paid for it, then when they go to sell then and only then will they find that their pants have been pulled down to their ankles!
Yes but if you look at it that way cards are exactly the same. Buy any card from a dealer and then try and sell it to another dealer and you just lost a similar percentage to your silver example.
Old 04-13-2023, 09:27 AM

Ben
You are absolutely right my friend. I never thought of that but you are 110% right. I have to now rethink my card purchase decisions from here on out.
Old 04-14-2023, 02:49 PM

Most of the coins I bought 10, 20 and 30 years ago are worth very little more and many are worth less than what I paid(and they are high grade PCGS/NGC). Like many other asset classes not everything goes up.

Compare to the stock market or cards and coins are a terrible investment(as is bullion). The people that have done well in coins owned either very high grade keys or rarities that most can't afford.
Old 04-15-2023, 08:43 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Diversification is always good

But I feel more upside long term in cards

I would sell gold or silver to buy cards

However, rare gold or silver coins is different and I would not sell that to buy cards unless I want to adjust my overall asset allocation

Since I do not own gold/silver and since I do not own rare coins(and not enough knowledge or interest) I would not sell gold/silver for coins

For cards/memorabilia I would.

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 04-15-2023, 11:13 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
Diversification is always good

But I feel more upside long term in cards

I would sell gold or silver to buy cards

However, rare gold or silver coins is different and I would not sell that to buy cards unless I want to adjust my overall asset allocation

Since I do not own gold/silver and since I do not own rare coins(and not enough knowledge or interest) I would not sell gold/silver for coins

For cards/memorabilia I would.
I would sell my soul for either cards or coins.

Old 04-15-2023, 08:39 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
after researching it, my concern is spot price for silver is currently $25, you cant find them anywhere on ebay for less than $40 and when it comes time to sell dealers are buying them for $12-15, so paying $40 for a $25 coin to just sell for $15 doesnt seem like a good investment to me!
The spreads are not nearly that bad for bullion coins or bars. If you have American eagles or Canadian maple leafs, there is a premium for the minting costs, like maybe $100 for a gold ounce, or $3.00 for silver, when you buy them, but reputable coin dealers will buy them back for spot or pretty close. Bars have an even smaller spread (they'll cost less, but you might get a bit under spot when you sell.) I'd recommend buying and selling from the same dealer when possible.

There is no way you'll pay $40 for coins you'll sell for $15, unless spot drops 50%.

Last edited by Mark17; 04-15-2023 at 08:45 PM.
Old 04-15-2023, 09:45 PM

You can’t find a 1oz American silver eagle on eBay for less than $40 and all the coin shops/dealers I called Asking hoe much they will buy them for the responses were $10-$20 so yes it is true that a coin they costs $40 on eBay, is worth $25 spot sells for $10-$15….that’s a fact Jack!
Old 04-15-2023, 09:50 PM
Peter Spaeth

Check Apmex buy prices.

Old 04-15-2023, 11:11 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
You can’t find a 1oz American silver eagle on eBay for less than $40 and all the coin shops/dealers I called Asking hoe much they will buy them for the responses were $10-$20 so yes it is true that a coin they costs $40 on eBay, is worth $25 spot sells for $10-$15….that’s a fact Jack!
Here's a fact, Fred:

https://www.golddealer.com/product/c...ple-leaf-1-oz/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mm.jpg (153.8 KB, 80 views)
Old 04-15-2023, 11:18 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Eagles. They'll pay north of $30.00:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mm2.jpg (149.5 KB, 80 views)
Old 04-16-2023, 08:26 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Some interesting points and would really need to learn about coins first

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 04-16-2023, 10:22 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
Eagles. They'll pay north of $30.00:
Right, your local coin shop may not be the best source of market information, just as your local card shop (if there are any left) is not going to be the best source of buy prices for cards.

Old 04-16-2023, 12:24 PM

Thanks guys for the info! As mentioned above, I know absolutely nothing about coins. I was just going off the info I got from local sources , which I see now are total rip offs!
Old 04-16-2023, 01:49 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Thanks guys for the info! As mentioned above, I know absolutely nothing about coins. I was just going off the info I got from local sources , which I see now are total rip offs!
I buy silver circulated or cull coins. This is one of the few apocalyptic prepper ideas I thought was of value. If Civil War or an apocalyptic scenario comes to US, paper currency will be worthless, but silver will be desired. And it will be easier to trade than gold or platinum. You don't need collector coins to use as currency in that sort of situation. So cull are the best coins to hoard.

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 04-16-2023, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
I buy silver circulated or cull coins. This is one of the few apocalyptic prepper ideas I thought was of value. If Civil War or an apocalyptic scenario comes to US, paper currency will be worthless, but silver will be desired. And it will be easier to trade than gold or platinum. You don't need collector coins to use as currency in that sort of situation. So cull are the best coins to hoard.

I agree with you that paper currency will be worthless is this country/ world continues to be headed to chaos. I also agree with you that it appears silver would be easier to trade than gold.

if this countrys economy/currency goes down hill, do you think us coins will still have value or will all us currency (coins included) be worthless?
Old 04-16-2023, 02:29 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post

I read this from preppers all the time. I have never ever heard a good reason on why. If paper money/currency is worthless the last thing I would do is trade anything of any value in the new SHTF world for silver.
Old 04-16-2023, 02:35 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I read this from preppers all the time. I have never ever heard a good reason on why. If paper money/currency is worthless the last thing I would do is trade anything of any value in the new SHTF world for silver.
People.cant even make change for a dollar! how are you going to use a liberty dollar for some water at home.depot and get a few shekels back?

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 04-16-2023, 02:38 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I agree with you that paper currency will be worthless is this country/ world continues to be headed to chaos. I also agree with you that it appears silver would be easier to trade than gold.

if this countrys economy/currency goes down hill, do you think us coins will still have value or will all us currency (coins included) be worthless?
Forget the coins bro, stock up on freeze dried food, and buy some guns and ammo to defend it.

This thread is really turning inane.

Old 04-16-2023, 02:41 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Talking

Quote:
Forget the coins bro, stock up on freeze dried food, and buy some guns and ammo to defend it.

This thread is really turning inane.
Brief departure from the covid thread

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 04-16-2023, 02:44 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Brief departure from the covid thread
I gave up on that one months ago lol.