NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-13-2009, 10:25 AM
Peter Spaeth

Default Legendary's New Blog and "Tweet"

Email received over the weekend:

Legendary Auctions is committed to you, our valued consigners and buyers, and to the future of collecting at large.
That's why we're making every effort to move the hobby forward by embracing social media tools to encourage better communication and promote knowledge and understanding, and to relate pertinent news and events.

Doug Allen, CEO and President of Legendary Auctions has just launched the blog - Legendary Collector. As a recognized hobby voice and expert, Doug will strive to provide the latest hobby scoops, opinions and news, and will share his knowledge and experience with all sports collectors and those interested in collecting overall. Doug's goal is to provide an objective forum where collectors can exercise their thoughts and contribute to the discussion of both the hobby's current state and its future. To subscribe to Doug's blog, Legendary Collector, go to www.legendarycollector.com and hit the RSS feed button. Doug welcomes everyone's input and suggestions and believes that, together, we can make this blog into a valuable hobby resource.

Doug will also be tweeting on Twitter on a regular basis to provide collectors with real-time information regarding hobby events and news. There are a couple of ways to receive Twitter updates from Doug. You can either go to his blog, www.legendarycollector.com and hit the Twitter Follow button, OR you can go to www.twitter.com/legendarysports and click to follow Doug. To follow Doug on Twitter, you need your own Twitter account, which is free and easy to set up.

Legendary Auctions will also soon be on Facebook. We'll forward details to you as they develop.

17542 Chicago Avenue
Lansing, IL 60438
(708) 889-9380
www.legendaryauctions.com
Old 07-13-2009, 10:30 AM

-

Last edited by Vintagedegu; 08-21-2014 at 02:11 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:14 PM
Steve Murray

Could they be any more self-destructive?
Old 07-13-2009, 12:40 PM

I think a company blog of good info and news is a reasonable idea, but I don't know know that the feedback is a good idea. Just my feedback.

I think a feedback and feedback quality boils down to how the posters are registered-- anonymous (I can act like an idiot and no one will find out who I am) and registered by true identity. This board is an example of the latter-- heated discussions certainly, but all posts on the up and up. No trolls.

I remember when Homer Simpson got a television ad for his new snow shoveling service and the ad aired at 2 am. Lisa said "Dad, who's going to be watching tv at 2 am?" Homer replied, "Loners, the unemployable, alcoholics." I think he might have also been described half of anonymous chat board trolls.

Last edited by drc; 07-13-2009 at 12:55 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:22 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Call Mr. Plow, that's my name, that name again, is Mr. Plow.

Legendary Live Auction preview is up btw.

Last edited by Bicem; 07-13-2009 at 01:23 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:00 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Default That giant sucking sound

Is all their credibility going down the drain with the Mastro consignors' money.

You do have to hand it to them for being persistent. Reminds me of the final scene in The Producers where Gene Wilder and Zero Mostel are selling shares of the prison production to the prisoners, guards and warden.

What's the over/under on how long this adventure goes on?

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 07-13-2009 at 03:01 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:07 PM
Peter Spaeth

They have quite the collection of Bob Gibson items for the live auction. It is a shame that he apparently has to sell these items, including of all things his 1968 Cy Young Award.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:09 PM
Dan Bretta

Their last auction was not spectacular, but the next auction is eye popping. Obviously some consignors are not too worried. I think they'll survive this.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:13 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
They have quite the collection of Bob Gibson items for the live auction. It is a shame that he apparently has to sell these items, including of all things his 1968 Cy Young Award.
I'm not exactly sure what the story is with Gibson, but a bunch of his personal effects showed up at auction a few years back that were supposedly found in a storage unit that hadn't been paid up. I'm not even sure where he lives now, but he still has an annual celebrity golf tournament in Omaha.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
I think they'll survive this.
I'm not so sure. That list of Net54ers who are boycotting Mastro/Legendary was pretty long last time I looked.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:42 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

"DOUG ALLEN is an avid collector with a broad knowledge of high-end sports memorabilia. As President and CEO of Legendary Auctions, he consistently furthers the hobby by implementing bold initiatives and adding integrity to every transaction."
Old 07-13-2009, 03:55 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post
I'm not so sure. That list of Net54ers who are boycotting Mastro/Legendary was pretty long last time I looked.
Yeah, but I gotta strong feeling that in this hobby the *stuff* outweighs just about everything else. I'm not questioning the folks who have said they'll boycott, but there's a lot more folks reading this board that didn't sign that list.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:06 PM
Banned

Dan, turn off your computer's sarcasm filter.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:08 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob d. View Post
dan, turn off your computer's sarcasm filter.
doh!
Old 07-13-2009, 04:13 PM

Default They may surve the hobby's scorn...

It's possible that they may survive the hobby's scorn, but they may not survive the FBI and grand jury.

Quote:
Yeah, but I gotta strong feeling that in this hobby the *stuff* outweighs just about everything else. I'm not questioning the folks who have said they'll boycott, but there's a lot more folks reading this board that didn't sign that list.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:36 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_C View Post
It's possible that they may survive the hobby's scorn, but they may not survive the FBI and grand jury.
Quite possible, but I gotta feeling whatever shell game they played to turn Mastro into Legendary somehow protects their new venture. May not seem fair, but that's business in the US and A....and to be fair it's the same game that two (maybe more?) big clients of Mastro's played in order to keep and not pay for the items they won from Mastro.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:39 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Quite possible, but I gotta feeling whatever shell game they played to turn Mastro into Legendary somehow protects their new venture.
You can learn so much on internet chat boards. I, for one, am thankful for them.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:43 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
You can learn so much on internet chat boards. I, for one, am thankful for them.
Hey, I said "I gotta feeling"...I didn't say that I know.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:45 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Disclaimer noted.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:43 PM

The Producers and The Mouse That Roared are movies that had two of the most ingenious plots. In the 1959 British flick The Mouse that Roared the tiny, backwards country of Grand Fenwick is on the verge of national bankruptcy. It declares war on the superpower US, perfectly expecting to lose the war right away, but also expecting to in return receive the generous monies that the US normally gives countries it defeats (WWII Germany). The only mistake in the application of this plan is Grand Fenwick wins the war. The movie stars Peter Sellars playing multiple parts including a Duchess.

Last edited by drc; 07-13-2009 at 10:35 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:32 PM
Jim VB

Default Drc

A classic movie. If I remember correctly, their invasion is, coincidentally, occurring as the country is conducting a civil defense drill. So they can find no one to fight and "win" the war. The US is forced to surrender.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:20 AM

After winning the war, they realize that means they won't get any aid.

Last edited by drc; 07-14-2009 at 01:33 AM.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:06 AM

So, by using Sir Bedevere's logical deduction process , that would mean Doug Allen is a woman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc View Post
The Producers and The Mouse That Roared are movies that had two of the most ingenious plots. In the 1959 British flick The Mouse that Roared the tiny, backwards country of Grand Fenwick is on the verge of national bankruptcy. It declares war on the superpower US, perfectly expecting to lose the war right away, but also expecting to in return receive the generous monies that the US normally gives countries it defeats (WWII Germany). The only mistake in the application of this plan is Grand Fenwick wins the war. The movie stars Peter Sellars playing multiple parts including a Duchess.

Last edited by Sean_C; 07-14-2009 at 03:10 AM. Reason: additional clarification
Old 07-14-2009, 06:15 AM
Scott

Default legendary.....

hmm how long will this "company" be around before one of the partners gets into trouble and they have to change the NAME again...