NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-03-2014, 08:04 PM
Brad Pencil

Default 1933 Rittenhouse Candy

I was wondering on the Rittenhouse candy cards how rare certain stock colors are (I know there are 5 variations of color). I just picked up a pink stock version so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:44 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I am not an expert on them and I would imagine some colors are more difficult. That being said I am not sure a more scarce color would bring anymore value....maybe a little but not too much.

Old 11-04-2014, 06:45 AM

Hey Brad, I have never really seen a premium assigned to any particular color, nor do I know which is the rarest. I do think the set is extremely underrated and undervalued as they don't come up that often.

Have you ever seen any coated cards? I had three cards (Foxx, Hornsby & ???) that all had a layer of shellac or something on them, but my Ruth doesn't. They came from three different sources so I thought maybe they were issued both ways. BVG had to assume they were after-market coated and gave them 1's. Just curious if others have seen any coated versions?
Recent transactions with: Leon, LukeLyon, wilkiebaby11, KC Doughboy, robbessette, JollyElm, jimmivintage, benderbroeth, JManos, Haybag, Northviewcats, Sean1125, Clydepepper, hangman62, simas7173, pencil1974, Nappy1525, T206Collector, h2oya311, 25801wv, sycks22, tolstoi, sebie43, JasonD08, Brian Van Horn, bcbgcbrcb, Lordstan, Frankbmd, jasonc, markf31, mybuddyinc, kailes2872, mintacular, campyfan39, Cat, Jcfowler6, sam9795, chaddurbin, 39special, vtgmsc, jdl7860, 4815162342, 71buc, Lgarza99, etc.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:52 AM
Rhett Yeakley

My assessment is the same as Leon's. I have never seen a premium for any particular color. I personally prefer the backs that have the ads over the single letter (but that could just be me). Also, keep in mind there is a parallel version of this set that is much tougher to find with numbers on back and a different redemption offer on the back.

The #1 issue with this set and the grading companies are somewhat clueless about (or so it seems) is that the cards were 100% issued with the little top and bottom "extra white border" as you can see plainly on Leon's examples. If these tabs are missing then the card is trimmed and should NEVER receive a numerical grade. That being said some "high grade" cards in this set have been trimmed to achieve the grade. These were NOT strip cards that were intended or trimming and should be treated as such.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 11-04-2014, 09:36 AM
Brad Pencil

I know there are different printed colors but there were different stock colors as well. The ones Leon shows look to be on the white stock. Here are a couple I had found on green stock and pink stock. This is what I had found on FKW Century old cards.

http://centuryoldcards.com/1930/1933E285.html

I don't think the different stock colors come up very often as most I have seen or red, blue and green ink on the white stock. The ones I picked up recently seem to be on the pink stock but don't have them in hand yet to tell. I've attached mine as well as they have the white borders just a lot of chipping on a few on the back is all.

Thanks for all the input guys.