NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-22-2008, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Default Thanks to our members and collectors for helping each other

Posted By: leon

I just want to give a big thanks to folks that help each other out on Net54. I just got another private email from a member that alerted me to some things I probably wouldn't have seen otherwise. I can't say how many times this has happened but it's numerous. I know that if I see something another board member might be interested in I will point them to it. I have sent Dan B, Joann, and others private emails on things I see that they might be interested in. It's nice to know the hobby is more about friendship and helping others than the oft times quoted "money" aspect of it. I know when I help someone it makes me feel good....And I am not saying that these are any kind of "Saintly" acts but it's still nice to see collectors helping other collectors.... take care

Old 03-22-2008, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I will second that motion!

I get emails from lots of Net54 members about items that I am interested in and I appreciate every single one of them. I try to return the favor as well.

Old 03-22-2008, 04:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

I completely agree Leon. I have long since lost count of the number of tips I've gotten on various auctions, and I appreciate each and every one of them. I would guess that up to 25% of my collection of female players came from items that I may have otherwise missed but someone was kind enough to take time to point it out. The tips have also helped my improve my searches 1000%, as I add new searches when I realize why I miss something.

I thank every person that helps me out this way (although I am a bit behind on emails, and THANKS Ted G for yours and will email soon) and especially I try to return the favor if I see something I know is in someone's collecting wheelhouse.

I've also heard of several cases where one or more collectors will agree to stand aside and let someone else buy a card if they know that person really really wants or needs it. I love hearing that. It's almost like some kind of gentlemens' courtesy or the like.

You are right Leon. There is a lot of genuine good will in this hobby, even amidst the high dollars flying around.

Joann

Old 03-22-2008, 05:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tony Andrea

Leon - Two things are definite.
1. I wouldn't have the cards I have if if weren't for the people I've met on this board.
2. I wouldn't have the knowledge I have, (which isn't much) if it weren't for this board.
Thanks to all who have helped me along the way in this crazy hobby of ours.

Tony

Old 03-22-2008, 09:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barry arnold

Leon,
Many thanks for this very positive thread with the opportunity to say thanks to colleagues in this great hobby.
I must offer a resounding thanks to Jon Canfield who has taught me so much about the T206 era cigarette packs and helped me find the beauts that I now have
on display.
I must also thank Steve Yawitz who provided incredible advice and favors over the last few years.
I appreciate your help,Leon, on a number of occasions.
And to Monster friends who provided camaraderie and expertise and CARDS as we
'tamed' the Monster, I say Salud.

all the best,
barry

Old 03-22-2008, 09:51 PM
Administrator

Barry, did you finish up your set?

Old 03-22-2008, 10:13 PM
Administrator

Dan,
many thanks for asking.
i'm still 2 away---along the way i have found myself absolutely enamored of
the 206 era packs so my patience has been growing, thankfully.
epdg,american beauty,sweet cap---pirate and mecca so far.
the more things from that era,the better methinks!

all the best,

barry

Old 03-22-2008, 10:21 PM
Administrator

I look forward to your "THE MONSTER HAS BEEN TAMED!!!!" post. Which two do you need?

Old 03-23-2008, 12:13 AM
Administrator

Thanks Dan for the kind encouragement.
young glove and cobb off.
need 2 backs to complete my back collection as well--drum and uzit.
but sure need alot more than 2 to finish my packs collection!

all the best,
barry

Old 03-23-2008, 12:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jamie

3 months ago all I knew was i would like to try and collect the monster.. this site was the way I found it actually do-able.. still very tough but possible with all the collectors that I met on this site.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

Rather than further hijack the Plank thread, I'll add a few more thoughts here.

We often use and see the phrase "freely share" here in terms of posters sharing knowledge, but I think we can sometimes underappreciate just what that means. Some of these guys could really cash in if they kept some knowledge to themselves.

Ted Z, as an example, could sit tight on his knowledge of unusual back combinations and quietly buy up the scarcer versions. You may not think that is really "cashing in" now, but a few decades ago people weren't paying attention to backs at all. Now the Drums and Uzits and other rarities get big money. Who knows if 10 years from now there will be more focus on the series designations or even factories?

Another example is Dan Bretta with his recent discovery of JT Wilkinson (HOF'er) standing inconspicuously in the back row of the Hopkins Bros womens baseball postcard. I bought mine for $22 and based on what's sold on ebay since Dan published his discovery here, I could probably sell it for $400+ even in rough condition. The last 3 on ebay have gone for at least that much. Think Dan could have made any money by quietly picking them up off ebay for the next year or two? He probably could have gotten maybe 6-9 of them for under $200 total, published his find and sold them for $500 per. He gave up a lot of money by coming on here and cluing everyone in.

Ryan Christoff also comes to mind as someone that could probably sit on information for a few years while buying unknown rarities and cashing in later, but generally chooses to spread knowledge as soon as he acquires it.

So thank you to all of you that freely share hard-learned information. Just another example of the helpfulness of people here.

Joann

Old 03-26-2008, 09:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I think this board has brought down the barrier between the days when knowledge was tightly held, to a time when now it is freely shared. That is one major way that Net54 has changed the hobby.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:05 AM
Administrator

Heck even the OJ collectors are opening up. Just this week John (z28/jd) just casually threw out an Old Judge variation of Dad Clarke that even Jay and Fred didn't know existed. Now *that's* what I call progress.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Dan- I totally agree.

To quote Jim Morrison, with the upcoming Old Judge book we will "break on through to the other side" (too dramatic?).

Old 03-26-2008, 10:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy

I am always here help, it’s what I enjoy doing

Good Discussion

Jimmy

Old 03-31-2008, 05:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Mohler

Hey everyone

I just wanted to publicly thank Patrick McMenemy for pointing out a Pinkerton postcard auction on Ebay to me. I don't think I would have found it if it hadn't been for him.

I have mentioned a number of times on the Board that I collect these postcards, but I don't think I ever mentioned it specifically to Patrick. In any event, he took note of my Board comments and filed them away, I guess!

Thanks

Jeff Mohler

Old 03-31-2008, 05:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Patrick McMenemy

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the kind words. I actually remembered because I sold you my CHief Meyers Pinkerton PC.

Patrick

Old 03-31-2008, 12:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

Many helpful & nice collectors here during the past couple years. Recently Toby has very been helpful with one of my postcard sets, & Tony Andrea has been very nice with sharing his E90-1 knowledge. Thanks to everybody here for the past couple years. Also, a bid thanks to those who keep the peace.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

I can top you all -- there's a board member who recently helped me out majorly with a client (it was in his capacity of his vocation). His help ended up as front page news in a major city newspaper.